Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SOGA and a 2 month old tablet from ebuyer
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

The power button on my 2 month old tablet has gone dickey, Ebuyer tried to tell me to deal directly with the manufacturer as it was a warranty issue. Hmmm I thought it was the retailers responsibility? They are saying fine, send it to us, but we will send it to manufacturer? I told them that if it was a shop and I bought it back faulty I would expect a refund or replacement there and then. Then they said they have the right to repair if they want? I am not sure I want it repaired?
    Where can I find the correct resource for this?

tjagain

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Try that. Your protections are now not the same as they used to be and IIRC now the retailer does have one chance to repair so long as it does not take too long. Used to be repair, replace, refund your choice but no longer is so.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Thanks tjagain and bails. It was the choice between repair and replace that confused me as it used to be that you could demand replacement.

Meanwhile I have called the manufacturer who have a Uk operation and they have offered to replace on the doorstep. Sending a courier on thursday.

5plusn8
    Free Member

OK this has turned into another problem. UK operation replaced the tablet with a newer model as the original was no longer being made. The new one has developed a fault and now the UK operation has said that I need to return tablet to ebuyer for refund.
    Ebuyer have said that because tablet is not the original tablet they cannot accept it.
    Grrr..

Cougar

Wow.

So you dealt with the manufacturer directly a) because Ebuyer told you to and b) they were illegally refusing to honour your statutory rights.

The manufacturer has replaced the tablet. This is essentially the same outcome as if you’d sent it back to Ebuyer, they’d sent it to the manufacturer and they’d replaced it.

I’d say that Ebuyer are absolutely liable. I’d be raising merry hell with them and reminding them that they’ve already broken the law once here.

5plusn8
    Free Member

TBH, I wasn’t going to but I rang the manufacturer who were excellent, they sent the replacement whilst collecting the bust one.
    I have just tried again by email with manufacturer, only because they were so good last time, awaiting response…

newrobdob
    Free Member

I used to get this in my shop – SOGA is right and the shop should deal with it but I used to explain to people that if I dealt with it then all I would be doing is exactly what the customer would be doing, except with me doing it delays would occur as I’d have to ring the manufacturer when I had time, wait for the bits (which might not come while I was in), then try to get the customer on the phone to arrange pickup, customer would have to travel in to store etc etc. They would nearly always say fine thats ok with me and I would offer to sort out any issues if they came across any.

So basically, yes the retailer should sort it for you but if it saves time and hassle for everyone why not just do as they suggest? You get it sorted out direct to your house a lot faster. If anything goes wrong the retailer still has to sort it for you so you won’t have lost anything.

You can get all shouty and quote SOGA over the phone like some sort of consumer rights superhero but surely if something is better doing it another way why not do it? Forcing the retailer to do it just makes it worse for you!

Cougar

1) SoGA doesn’t exist, it’s CRA.

2) You’re right to recommend the customer deals direct to cut out the middle man. What you cannot do is insist that they do, which is what’s happened here.

legend
    Free Member

I’d say that Ebuyer are absolutely liable

However, the original seller has never seen this item before. How do they even know its a replacement for the original faulty one? Seems a bit messy really

Cougar

They can check with the manufacturer, one would assume. They would have seen if if they hadn’t shirked their responsibility in the first place.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Update – Manufacturer have now seen sense and are happy to roll over.
    Once again ebuyer look like chumps and are off my list.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SOGA and a 2 month old tablet from ebuyer’ is closed to new replies.