Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SOGA advice please
  • andyl
    Free Member

Going to leave out specific details and I would normally just take it on the chin and forget about it but they messed me around previously (and put the cost onto me) and I know they aren’t making a loss…

Price advertised on multiple websites. Click link and sure enough that is the price on their website. tbh the discount level is not unheard of for them and their competitors and it is a base spec model so I take the plunge (not as good as I would like but my work is struggling with my current one and this one will be more than enough for work stuff).

1. I order online.
    2. I get confirmation and acceptance of the order by email.
    3. I get a phone call from them 3 days later and confirm all the details as they wanted me to go through the address etc as I have just moved here to no record of me here.
    4. The following day I call them up to see if I can add some extra (none physical stuff) and speak to 2 departments and the end result is they say to speak to another department when it arrives.
    5. The order ships from Asia on the 4th day and they charge my credit card on the 5th day. I move some work on site to make sure I will be here. (I am self employed)
    6. Then they send me an automated email saying the price was a mistake and they will cancel it and I won’t be charged. Only their figures don’t add up and the claimed error gives a price of a much better (and expensive) model and it refers to the none commercial side of the business.
    7. I check my account and no mention of the cancellation and it still says the order is going ahead and no refund so I keep an eye on the tracking as it’s too late to change my work back anyway and it’s still heading my way according to tracking.
    8. This morning at 7.14 it was “on van for delivery”. Then it changes to “in Transit” at 10.28 with the pop up stating it will be delivered up to 7pm. By 7pm nothing so I call the courier just after 7pm and it turns out they are actually holding it and not delivering it.

What is the point in tracking information if it is wrong? I couldn’t do the work I was supposed to but I could have gone out.

Now I have to wait until Monday to contact the company as it would appear they have put a stop on the delivery this morning after it went out in the van, although the information I got from the courier was a bit vague so there could have been another reason.

They do have mention of incorrect prices etc in their t&cs but they also state that once they confirm the order it is a contract (and point out I cannot cancel it). As I said, normally I would just shrug it off but there is previous being messed around involved so I am of two minds.

donsimon
    Free Member

Asia you say?

andyl
    Free Member

lets just say “a far away land…” 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Probably not covered by UK law then. 🙁
    I am willing to be corrected on this though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SOGA nae chance.

andyl
    Free Member

UK subsidiary of a large company. Just screwed together somewhere else as it’s cheaper.

Definitely covered by UK law.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah OK, not SOGA tho, enforcement of contract.

Small claims or TS first.

andyl
    Free Member

TS?

I thought that once an item had been passed to a courier it was basically assumed to be handed over to the buyer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

you said you thought the seller instructed them to withhold.

Seems you know the answer?

donsimon
    Free Member

Seems you know the answer?

I’m not sure I actually know the question. 😕

andyl
    Free Member

I’m not sure I actually know the question.

Me neither.

TS = Terms of sale?

I just remembered something from SOGA about when passed to a courier.

We are well passed the ‘invitation to purchase’ stage and it’s not like I am expecting a £10,000 something for £25.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TS – trading standards

SOGA will be on HMSO website, no idea re couriers bit.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh.

tbh will probably just end up buying from somewhere else who doesn’t do dodgy marketing. They have been fined in the past for doing this kind of thing intentionally.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SOGA advice please’ is closed to new replies.