Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Software recommends for Mac
  • stever
    Free Member

Hello, Mac curious here. Just gone for a family iMac and after a couple of recommends for software – image editing and HTML mainly. Nothing super fancy at the moment… resizing, drawing simple vector pics, screen capture would be nice. Need to jiggle with website code now and then, something with WYSIWYG, code view and preview would be nice. Cheep and cheerful or free end of the spectrum. What do you like?

maccruiskeen

screen capture would be nice

hold down cmd and shift press 4 and that brings up some little cross hairs in the place of the cursor – drag that across the screen to create a rectangle and it’ll capture whatevers inside and save it to the desktop

euain

Not really done much website development but this might be a good starting place: Linky

Image editing.. I use Omnigraffle for diagrams, Pixelmator for images.. not sure either really match what you’re looking for but might be a reasonable starting place

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smokey_jo

You can run Inkscape (Vector) and Gimp (Raster) on osx too but you need to read this first if you’re running OSX Lion or later.

stever
    Free Member

Good stuff, couple of things to check out there. I use SnagIt on the PC with a load of custom capture/editing functions. I’ll look at the Mac version of that thinking about it. Finding a nice website tool would be nice. Ta!

johndoh
    Free Member

hold down cmd and shift press 4 and that brings up some little cross hairs in the place of the cursor – drag that across the screen to create a rectangle and it’ll capture whatevers inside and save it to the desktop

Or Ctrl>Alt>4 then hit the spacebar to get the entire of the window/browser you have open – easier than faffing with the cross hair 😉

stever
    Free Member

I’m learning…

raisinhat
    Free Member

Another recommendation for pixelmator here, found it to be definitely worth the money over GIMP. Grab is the built in tool for screen capturing as well, even if that does involve a few more steps than the direct shortcuts. Do yourself a favor and get Alfred, it does so many different functions and you save a lot of time by keeping your hands on the keyboard. Growl for better notifications, and f.lux for not burning your eyes out when it gets dark.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sorry to keep this on the same tiny point but there is a a screen grab utility that comes installed on the mac called grab. Does area, window, screen and timed screen. That should cover you for most of your screen grabbing requirements.

Cant really help much with the other stuff, my mac is a work machine and is Adobe’d up to the hilt.

CountZero

Photoshop killers for Mac users: Nine OS X alternatives to Adobe Photoshop…

Photoshop killers for Mac users: Nine OS X alternatives to Adobe Photoshop

benga
    Free Member

Try Skitch for screen shots – it’s free from the App Store and connects to a free evernote account. Really simple to use and it’s got image/screen shot sharing and annotation built in.

I use Coda (from Panic) for coding. Has a preview but no wysiwyg view. Espresso also gets good reviews. If you need wysiwyg then look at rapid weaver. Not tried it but it seems to get good write ups.

For none adobe creative apps, sketch and Pixelmator seem to be the go to apps.

bokonon
    Free Member

I use Jing for screenshots and text wrangler for HTML editing.

stever
    Free Member

Great stuff, will look at all your recommends as soon as I get chance!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Software recommends for Mac’ is closed to new replies.