Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Software Issue Logging/Tracking – what to choose?
  • wwaswas

We currently use a product called FogBugz for logging faults/issues/dev and tracking progress through to release.

Wanting to up user numbers but before we pay them for more licences/maint I’d like to understand what else there might be that’s available.

Requirements are;

log software issues/faults/dev – break down by customer/project/task
    customer login to see their own issues only
    able to group all issues across all customers into a release
    email from/to each issue – alerts when tasks assigned etc.
    either cloud based or MS SQL Server db.
    Inexpensive – looking at small user numbers and relatively low numbers of issues.

GrahamS

FogBugz is Joel Spolsky’s baby isn’t it? Heard good things about it but never used it myself.

We run JIRA here for most projects, but no idea how they compare.

grizedaleforest

We also use JIRA which seems to be the industry leader these days – part of the Atlassian fold of products. It is good but no idea how it compares with Fogbugz on pricing. We previously used Mantis, which is open source and free – obviously you need your own server or a virtual server to install and run it on. Personally I rather liked it – we only moved to JIRA under customer pressure.

scaled
    Free Member

We use Jira and we’re looking to move to the rest of the atlassian suite, the hook ups between Jira, bitbucket server (Stash) and bamboo is pretty sweet. You can track tasks to source code and builds through the apps

SammyC
    Free Member

Redmine is another alternative

willard

Another JIRA user here. They do a cloud offering as well as an on prem version, so you can pick which one suits your us case best.

Serena Business Mash-ups is another option, as is Salesforce I guess. I suspect both of those will be more expensive than the JIRA cloud offering.

GrahamS

the hook ups between Jira, bitbucket server (Stash) and bamboo is pretty sweet.

We generally use the hooks from JIRA to SVN (source control) and Crucible (peer code reviews). Works pretty well for us. It’d be nice to have hooks directly into builds as well, but we just use Jenkins for that.

jwray

We’ve recently started using YouTrack

https://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack

And, in general, I prefer it to JIRA. Less clicks to do stuff basically. I never used any of the configurable features of JIRA, or advanced workflows. Don’t in YouTrack either.

We’re self hosting, not tried the hosted version

canopy
    Free Member

hmm

we use Kayako for for customer facing support tickets but in-house use Jira for our bug tracking and have the Zephyr for Jira add-on for testing.
    we cross reference between the two with notes and/or custom fields.

– customers only get visiblity of their own tickets.
    – our Jira data isn’t on some web server

Doesn’t Jira’s licencing get pricey once you go over 10 users?

(as an aside we used to use SourceSafe for code, but are moving to GIT via Atlassian Bitbucket (used to be called Stash) with new projects and use the Atlassian SourceTree GIT client)

We also have Jarvis (continuous integration) set up for one project.. still being set up properly but it seems very powerful.

oh and Atlassian HipChat for talking crap.. we do have channels where GIT commits are logged linked to bitbucket

deadkenny
    Free Member

I usually find I’m using whatever the relevant company/client is tied into with other software integrations or the IT guy has done a deal with.

Current one is using Jira. It’s okay. Most I’ve used are “okay”. I think to get best out of it you want various plugins and integrations. They’ve got HipChat also but it’s not really used as there’s a preference for Skype, which doesn’t provide team chat in my opinion, at least not until Skype for Teams comes out next year.

Another option is Team Foundation Server, plus you get cloudy version for limited seats included in Visual Studio Online that you get with your VS account. The online stuff has Agile stuff and can integrate with Git instead of TFS.

GitHub has an issue tracker also, though fairly simple.

I’ve used StarTeam in the past. Horrible.

Bugzilla is free (with pay for premium support option) and quite popular, if a bit ugly and not easy to use. Though lots of customisation and integration options.

as an aside we used to use SourceSafe for code, but are moving to GIT

Good move. SourceSafe is awful! 😮 Even moving to svn is preferable to SS.

You’ll have to get your head round terminology differences though. Check-out in SS means to lock it for your use to modify. Git, svn and other’s check-out means download a working copy you can dick around with. Nothing is locked. You commit (and merge) changes when ready.

somouk
    Free Member

We use Fogbugz for one company and Jira for another.

Jira is better for managing comments and the like, fogbugz is a touch basic if you have multiple people working on something and commenting it. It also has better editing tools to make things look and read better when submitting them.

canopy
    Free Member

Good move. SourceSafe is awful! Even moving to svn is preferable to SS.

but its better than what the company did when i joined the original incarnation of it in the mid 90s

copy folder into a folder called (made up name) “MikeBak”, next time he works on it.. make a folder called “MikeBak2″… that and random zip files. there was a fileserver with the ability to beg for file recovery from backup tapes though.

going to SourceSafe was a big move back then. Problem is.. we have many components that are 10+ years old, and still iterating from time to time. Eventually we’ll have moved over or the remaining product lines will be superseded or become obsolete!

we use jira/git etc because the company that bought us does and we’ve were aligning our practices for a few years pre-acquisition and obvs decisions post too.. (unless they havent decided themselves, like with QA software..).

jimdubleyou

I’d avoid HP ALM (Quality Center) if at all possible. It’s rubbish.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Software Issue Logging/Tracking – what to choose?’ is closed to new replies.