Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Softshells for riding
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

I want to get a softshell for mountain biking this winter. I don’t want a very thick / warm jacket because I’ll over heat when I’m riding but something light to keep the cold out and be a bit shower proof.

I’ve seen the Karrimor Hot Rock softshell (http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-hot-rock-softshell-jacket-mens-443007?colcode=44300718). It fits well and isn’t very thick (more like a hoodie than a full coat) and it’s cheap. Is anyone else using one for riding? Or what other softshells are good for riding?

Northwind

I have a £10 decathlon one which works great- it’s not got the thickest fleecy bit so it’s not the warmest but that makes it more practical for layering. Really like it.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Northwind – Is your decathlon jacket bike specific or from the general Quechua range?

funkweasel
    Free Member

Does anyone own an Endura MT500 II jacket?

matt_outandabout

My best softshell for riding was my Montane Dyno – uber breathable, just wind proof and wet proof enough, thin so can be layered easily.

Do NOT buy a laminated softshell – my uber expensive, posh Patagonia with Gore Winstopper is about as breathable as a pane of glass, holds dampness in the waffle liner, and generally is not as useful as the Dyno.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Too hot for me

tomd
    Free Member

The lightweight Rab vapour rise fabric jackets would be worth a look. They do a lightweight one without a hood, the cut is actually quite good for biking. Surprisingly water resistant and very breathable.

I’d echo what matt says, the laminated ones are really, really unbreathable.

Northwind

gastromonkey – Member

Northwind – Is your decathlon jacket bike specific or from the general Quechua range?

Just the usual entry level walker’s kit.

momo

I’ve got an old Oakley softshell jacket, which I picked up from the sale rail at Rutland cycling about 7 years ago. It’s my go to jacket for mixed conditions and I just adjust the layers underneath it to regulate temperature.

Personally I prefer jackets without hoods when I’m on the bike as they tend to flap about and annoy me.

argyle
    Free Member

i have one of these i got from TK Maxx for £20 and it’s great. not overly thick. One pocket unusable though as has a stupid bag thing sewn in for stuffing into itself.

http://www.craghoppers.com/pro-lite-softshell-jacket-black.html

I also have a Brooks Pure Project jacket with 3m pinstripe which is warmer and ultimately more fuhncy

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

I bought a Shimano one from Chiggle a couple of years ago in sale with voucher etcetera and it has become my go to jacket.

Also used a cheap Regatto gilette that worked surprisingly well.

Have to echo comments above re laminated ones, felt like a packet of uncle bens in one 😉

James

fifeandy
    Free Member

I also have one of those – not tried it on the bike, but think it would be decent. Maybe too warm though unless riding at ~0°C

coconut
    Free Member

Yes I have the exact karrimor soft shell your after. It is very good value £40 ish ?.. fit is nice and tight and the neck is really high which helps on cold morning rides. The arms are pretty long as well. Only criticism would be it is a cool weather jacket 0 degrees and up, on a really cold day it would not be warm enough. Another pro is it’s very elasticy stretchy so not restrictive. Definitely buy one and add a few good base layers.. sportsdirect

dovebiker

Disagree on laminated softshells – Gore Fusion Tool in windstopper softshell works well into minus figures only with a wicking baselayer and pit-zips for dumping heat. Has taped seams over the shoulders so is extremely weather resistant.

iainc

Endura Windchill works very well for those requirements

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have a Karrimor softshell. Not that one but similar, had it for 3 or 4 years. I was the same as you, didn’t want anything too warm. My only criticism would be that it’s a bit short at the back but that’s to be expected with a non cycling jacket.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got an Intrepid Apparel jacket. Black with a hood.
    Wear it all winter with just a merino long sleeve under. Never get too hot or cold and decent at keeping rain out. Nice zips too haha.
    Normally half price on their site ~ £45 or so.

Always recommend that due to it being ‘just right’, I.e. I forget I’m wearing it

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re medium or XXL, this is a great jacket for £25…
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/158424/products/altura-attack-360-windproof-softshell-jacket-blue—red.aspx

I was so impressed I got a spare.

benp1

I use a Rab Vapour Rise Alpine Lite when it’s sufficiently cold. Just picked up a Mountain Hardwear Super Chockstone when it’s not so cold, or when I want to layer more

Both of these are pretty good. I have a thing for softshells it turns out, I have them in double figures…!

Do you want this for a good price? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtb-softshell-dhb-moxie-33

Needs longer sleeves for my ape arms

adsh
    Free Member

I use my endura windchill 1 when it’s really foul. Amazing how much sweat I produce – stop and it’s quickly cold and unpleasant.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Been using my mt500 jersey it’s perfectly warm enough at 5-10 degrees with a thin base layer
    But started to get cold at about 2-3 degrees when the sun dropped , it’d be plenty warm enough for me with a ls baselsyer and bibshorts underneith, got some cold splashes up my spine down cutgate yesterday

For dry mudless rides I’ve just got a gore thermal jersey on Amazon £42, although prices gone up since then.
    Felt lined and warm for a dry commute or hour around the block

The rab mentioned above is superb but maybe a little too fragile for my riding, but I can wear it outside in just a teeshirt in winter and it keeps me warm

Goldigger
    Free Member

Rab sawtooth hoodie.. not cheap at £120 but can be had for £70 in yellow if you shop about. I have red, thinking yellow maybe better for the darker hours.
    You’d need a decent under layer in freezing conditions.
    But if your like me start of freezing and once your going you get to hot it should be ok.
    I’ve also got a campag soft shell that’s fleece lined. If I wear that in the freezing I get to hot and the jacket gets soaked inside with sweat!

onandon
    Free Member

As above. The RAD vapour rise lite is great for mountain biking. The fit isn’t flappy and the hood nice a snug over or under a helmet. Plenty of deal online.

If you have a belly you may need to size up as the waist is pretty trim.

Goldigger
    Free Member

^ he could always get the mans one, the womens cut has a narrow waist 😆

nickc

The Rab vapour rise isn’t a softshell though. it’s a lined pertex hard shell

Simon
    nickc

In my world a softshell is something you wear “next to skin”. While I take on what Andy says, and wouldn’t disagree with a lot of it. I don’t think the Rab is a traditional softshell ( in that respect). I’m not saying it’s not a good jacket, I’m just suggesting it might not be what the OP desires, is all.

matt_outandabout

@nickc

Confusing isn’t it? I have softshell items of clothing that vary from stretchy, tracksuit like material to pretty much waterproof, membraned, fleece lined items.

FWIW, the Rab Vapour rise items are definitely not a ‘hard shell’, which is generally taken to be properly waterproof fabric, taped seams and reasonable resistance to all weathers.

nickc

matt-OAA yes it is! 😆

having a scan about, and it seems that a soft shell is pretty much anything people say it is…so I guess I’m wrong!

matt_outandabout

Shall we agree its a jacket? 😆

nickc

yes, let’s 😆

onewheelgood
    onandon
    Free Member

The Rab vapour rise isn’t a softshell though. it’s a lined pertex hard shell

The vapour is a harder thicker shell. The vapour rise lite is a soft shell.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Rab Sawtooth hoodie

The Sawtooth Hoodie is a light-weight softshell jacket, in a Matrix DWS® stretch fabric, designed for fast-and-light year round mountain use.

matt_outandabout

nickc – I am picking an argument, sorry….but it’s the internet, and I think you are wrong…!

The Vapour-rise™ One Jacket is a light-weight, highly breathable and innovative softshell jacket,

From

https://rab.equipment/uk/vapour-rise-one-jacket

matt_outandabout

birky
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-keela-lynx-softshell-13-47780/

Had a look at this recently but the shop only had black ones. Seem to get a good review.

benp1

You can wear the Vapour Rise system of tops next to the skin, and it’s definitely a soft shell as said above

It’s a bit like a lighter pile pertex top i.e. like a Buffalo top but more useful for more occasions

It’s still warm though, but it’s oh so breathable

a hard shell is a waterproof jacket with taped seams
    a soft shell is a catch all term for anything that is vaguely wind or water resistant. From membrane fleece to pile pertex and stretchy windshirts.

As a result as I have loads of softshells, but in our climate I find them really useful

fifeandy
    Free Member

As a result as I have loads of softshells, but in our climate I find them really useful

This, I can’t get enough of them

angeldust
    Free Member

In my world a softshell is something you wear “next to skin”.

No one else thinks this. It’s just you :-).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Softshells for riding’ is closed to new replies.