Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • SoftShell Jacket?
  • anto164
    Free Member

Looking at getting a windproof softshell, was looking at GORE (Got recommended the phantom 2 from somewhere else), just wondering what is recommended, and what other softshell jackets are about, looking at around the £100 mark, +/- 20%.

Been around 5 lbs stores today, and NONE had any soft shell jackets. And the question of ‘what soft shell windproof jackets do you have, or can you get?’ were met with empty faces.

Looking at getting one which hasn’t got the three pockets on the rear, as i wear a camelbak most of the time.

megastream
    Free Member

I’ve got the camo version of this
    GoreBike

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Do some Googling for good prices on Gore softshells. Be aware that some are made of thick fabric.

devs
    Free Member

I got an Adidas Gore Windstopper on ebay from a running shop on ebay. Can’t remember which now but I got it for a song. It might not bar up the bike geeks as it isn’t marketed as bike specific but it does the job brilliantly.

anto164
    Free Member

Endura Stealth

That’s a good price! Just found it under £125 in red in my size! Looks like that may be the winner!

jools182
    Free Member

is this for wearing on your bike?

you could get something for well under £100

fair enough if you want to blow some cash, but spending that much on a jacket that could be ruined on your first off..

maybe something like this?

or this?

or this?

jools182
    Free Member

just found this as well

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Softshells are a lot tougher than normal waterproofs i’ve found..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I just got a north face one from go outdoors for £29.99 reduced from £80

heechee
    Free Member

I have a recently bought an endura stealth, they are pretty good jackets, the warmth is amazing. You can unzip them for ventilation if they get too warm. Doubt they would be an option outside of winter though.

Watch the sizing though, I bought a medium online (my usual size) and had to send it back for a large-they are quite snug fitting.

oglyndwr
    Free Member

check out tkmax. I picked up a dare2b softshell for £25. Its £60 everywhere else online. Has performed almost as well as my £120 mountain equipment softshell. (In the winter climate of North Wales)

As jools182 mentioned above I wouldn’t risk riding in a very expensive jacket as I have too many crashes.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

What about this for just £50
    http://www.foska.com/tangent-jacket.html

sunchaser
    Free Member

I have just got Gore Oxygen soft shell. Excellent roadie jacket (cos that’s what I am) but others in their range more suited to MTB’ers would be worth a look. Maybe the Gore Contest. This has a single rear pocket, don’t think you’ll get away from rear pockets altogether…

igm

Gore Phantom 2 here – very good. But if you can put up with non-bike specific get down to Aldi quick to look at the £38 skiing one.

neninja
    Free Member

Just ordered a Grey Gore Phantom from Evans for £89.99 delivered thebikechain had the red one for a couple of pounds more with STW discount but I really liked the grey one when I saw it in the flesh.

Tried a few jackets on in Evans at the Metro Centre and Ride Cycles in Newcastle (both carry a decent range of Gore stuff) and the fit of the Phantom is good and it felt excellent quality.

Was seriously tempted by the Gore Alp X as that fitted really well but decided on softshell rather than a waterproof.

neninja
    Free Member

The Gore Bike Wear website has a good list of dealers stocking their products – a look on there and a quick phone round should help you find a local stockist

oxnop
    Free Member

Im waiting for my Grey Phantom 2 to be delivered. The GF has had the ladies version for the last year and she loves it.

Dont compromise, just get the gore!!

cinnamon_girl

Paclite is not durable – every time I have an off it tears. 🙁 So that’s why I wear a softshell all the time, except when there’s heavy rain as the seams aren’t taped.

Merak

Ive just ordered one of those DHB Windslam jackets. Got to be worth a punt at the money. If is as good as the Wickham jacket then I’ll be happy. 😀

hainman
    Free Member

i know its not gore but aldi are selling softshells the now at 35quid and the look crackin,i bought my softshell from tk maxx at 30quid and its windproof and waterproof to 5000mm and breatheable.the aldi softshell trousers are a bargain at 20 quid too,
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week52Monday10.htm

anto164
    Free Member

Ended up going for the endura stealth.

Found it going for less than £125, so splurged!

Surfr
    Free Member

Can’t praise the stealth enough. Picked one up this autumn and it’s been great in torrential downpours and sub -10 snow rides as well as balmier days. Not a summer jacket I presume but you probably only need a gillet or featherlight rain shell over a ss jersey in the summer rain anyway.

Blower
    Free Member

Gore Tool here awesomeness jacket 🙂

stormer
    Free Member

Just bought a DBH windslam, excellent for the money from Wiggle, the sizes are on the small side so go for a larger size than you would normally wear.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I was really hesitant to blow £100 on a bike jacket, but very happy with my Gore Phantom 2, it’s a pretty versatile jacket, and fits just right. It’s been ace in the cold with just a baselayer.

Merak

Yeah I got a Windslam today. It is cut small right enough, made me feel a bit of a chubster. Sent it back. I also got a Shutt soft shell in the post today which is too big. Im in the middle of m/l so its tricky to get a jacket that fits.

Im still on the hunt, anyone got an Altura Summit? Looks good but cannae find a review of it anywheres?

carbon337
    Free Member

Checkout the Montane Dyno – looks great and only £70

Merak

That Montane would be ideal off the bike but I was looking for a purely bike specific soft shell.

andy7t2
    Free Member

anyone after a gore i found the cheapest place to be
    here

Crell
    Free Member

anyone after a gore i found the cheapest place to be
    here

They’re not exactly cheap. I bought a Cosmo windstopper from Outside (well “the square“) in Hathersage for 99 quid – RRP is 150. They only had 1 large left though but lots of other gore jackets. The countdown gloves are a bargain as well and they’re a much better fit than my Enduras.

For the winter sports folks, Outside have got Haglofs Couloir pants in for 199.

jools182
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘SoftShell Jacket?’ is closed to new replies.