Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Softshell for cycling with pit zips.
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

So I’ve been hunting for the above. The closest match I’ve found is a keela fusion, so i thought I’d pick the hive mind for any others…… fire away.

BadlyWiredDog

Mostly the rationale is that decent soft shell fabric is breathable enough that you don’t need pit-zips. However, while it’s probably not what you want to hear, Rapha seems to do them…. and they only cost £240, which is nice. 😉

jonk

Endura windchill jacket. I have one and love it and it has pit zips too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

or the more reasonably priced Endura stealth at only £150 ish – it is very warm though so would not be my first choice tbh
    Not sure there is a cheap pne tbh

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cycling-membrane-jacket-7-black-id_8217675.html

£30

Sizes a little small though, I’m 6′, 190lbs and have a Euro XL/USA L. Great jacket though.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen they’re out of all but Small. Might be worth seeing of your local Decathlon has any.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Gore Tool jacket (if you can find anywhere with stock - Evans have a few ).

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

gore phantom has zip off arms, which you can zip part way open to act as vents.

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years and it’s ace.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Mate, even ‘air’ isnt breathable enough to cope with the ammount of sweat this hunk of blubber outputs 😉

I neglected to mention 1 bit…. I dont want to look like a cycling knob if I happen to wear into t’pub. Aside from that, the endura stealth looks the business.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DONT it is really really really warm and i wont wear in anything above about 6 degrees as it is that hot

shredder
    Free Member

Gore Cosmo has pit zips

The-Beard

Second that about the Endura Stealth – I sold the one I had as it was just too hot for me – I hardly ever used it as a result.

BigJohn

I bought a Tesco fleece for about £9 for working in my workshop in the cold weather. I used it on the bike and it’s warm and windproof. Dead impressed.

crazy-legs

Endura Stealth all the way.

It’s not too hot at all, you just adjust what you wear underneath it. Thin base layer, thick one, add a SS or LS lycra top if necessary. The pit zips and side vents allow plenty of adjustability, I find that even just an inch of zip will alter the venting nicely.

My most used jacket, it’ll do three seasons.
    The Endura Windchill is very good as well, windproof front, fleecy back so a bit more breathable but not anywhere near as waterproof.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you just adjust what you wear underneath it.

I only use my cycling top so nothing really to remove.
    Still find it warm myslef relative to other tops I have

Its a brilliant jacket though for the right conditions but cheaper shells do get more use

Oddly I find the stealth trousers to be cold

Cheezpleez

I’m still using an original Gore Phantom. It’s so good I use it almost every ride autumn to spring. Looks v “cycling” though

chunkychew
    Free Member

Another vote for a Gore Phantom. Very versatile. Breathable back panel, Windstopper front, good fit (long sleeves and scoop back. Does look a bit cycling though, cheezepleeze is right! As a result I only wear mine on the road.

tmb467
    Free Member

Go Outdoors do one for about 45 quid with pit zips

Did me fine over the winter. Windproof and very breathable. Pretty waterproof as well – unless its really tipping it down. Black with blue trim – so not too bad in a pub either

nedrapier

Got a Noronna one in a sale, quite pricey at £100, but it used to be £200, so it was a “bargain”.

Bought it for ski touring, but it’s got a drop tail and the cuffs are extended just over the back of the hand, because…

Falketind Flex 1.

TheFlyingOx

Got a Gore Cosmo jacket that has seen me through 4 years of piss-poor Scottish weather so far. Even use it as the top layer when I’m skiing/boarding.

Nice and warm, yet cool at the same time. One of the best bits of biking kit I’ve bought.

nickc

Phantom or Windchill, won’t be disappointed with either

zelak999
    Free Member

Gore Cosmo is awesome when its below 10 degrees C.
    It’s a bit boil in the bag when it’s warmer than that though.

TheFlyingOx

It’s never warmer than 10°C in Scotland.

rOcKeTdOg

castelli Gabba for the #MSR effect

JohnClimber
    Free Member

idiotdogbrain – Member

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cycling-membrane-jacket-7-black-id_8217675.html

£30

Sizes a little small though, I’m 6′, 190lbs and have a Euro XL/USA L. Great jacket though.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen they’re out of all but Small. Might be worth seeing of your local Decathlon has any.

Seconded it’s a great top, but a bit too warm when/if it get’s above 5 degrees even with the zips open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Softshell for cycling with pit zips.’ is closed to new replies.