Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Softer Lock on Grips?
  • cookeaa

I’ve recently found I’m getting a bit of pain in my hands on my XC bike on rides over about 4 hours or so, my currently fitted grips are quite thin, not very soft basic lock on jobbies, I notice Superstar are doing their “Excel” grip at the mionute which they claim is thicker and softer , anyone got any experience of these? are they likely to help with my hand pain issue?

Before I buy a pair, is there anything similar I should be looking at? (I only do Lock on type grips by the way) ….

mafiafish
    Free Member

I have superstar lock ons (standard ones) and my friend has the chunky/longer ones which are too big IMO (but I have small hands). I tried my friend’s new charge grips and they were significantly softer and may get a pair of those next. Other than that I really rate lizard skins (esp. peaty) and ODI grips but you do pay a premium obviously.

thomthumb
    Free Member

(I only do Lock on type grips by the way) ….

why?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Don’t superstar also do a squidgy softer set?

Actually…can’t see them on there any longer

Militant_biker

I couldn’t find my old favourite Yeti ODI lock ons, so this time I went for Oury lock on. Quite a bit thicker than the ODI Yeti, but I’ve got used to them.

cookeaa

(I only do Lock on type grips by the way) ….

why? [/quote]

I have my reasons, I was merely trying to help narrow the possible suggestions down to Lock on type grips, Suggest something other if you like, But I won’t consider them, my selection criteria are fixed.

messiah
    Free Member

ODI Troy Lee lock on are my current favourites.

I’ve recently got some Sunline that are very soft but not comfortable.

benfeh
    Free Member

I use ODI Rogues they are a lot thicker than the Ruffians and pretty comfortable IMO. I find the ruffians too thin. If you already have the ODI lock on clamps then you only need the replacement grip so not as mad expensive as the bonus pack.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Lizard Skin Chargers are pretty soft. The compound is nice and soft and they have a mushroom style grip which makes them feel even better.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have my reasons, I was merely trying to help narrow the possible suggestions down to Lock on type grips, Suggest something other if you like, But I won’t consider them, my selection criteria are fixed.

did some one piss in your chips or did my question annoy you? what a strange answer

uplink
    Free Member
    Freester

I like ODI Yeti. Way softer than Ruffians.

ChrisA
    Free Member

sunline ones are good

steezysix
    Free Member

Deity do a “mushroom” style grip which is very good – Superstar used to as well but now they do the excel one instead. Also, I believe Charge make one that only has a half plastic sleeve inside so you still get a solid grip, but a bit more cushioning.

cookeaa

@ Tomthumb: Honestly does it really matter? not getting uppity about it, I just won’t consider any grip that doesn’t mechanically clamp/lock on to the bars, I’m a “Convert” to the security and conveinience of Lock ons, Just trying to save people the bother of recommending me something I won’t give a 2nd Glance…

@ Various Others: Thanks for the suggestions – Hmmm Foam lock ons, interesting, do they really have a noticable effect on Hand Fatigue? they seem to come up a bit Fatter tham many of the Rubber alternatives…

The CB ones seem pricey but the On-ones might be worth a Whirl if they really work…

thered

I suffer with pain at the outer base of my hand an dhave recently changed to lizard skin north-shore’s, no problems now, did 45k round the peaks last week too, happy me

Nonsense
    Free Member

Lizard Skins Chargers are really comfy as someone else said, provide nice cushioning without adding too much extra bulk. Out of interest are you using carbon or ally bars?

austen

Another vote for ODI Rogues here. After years of believing that thin grips were essential to be a good rider I experimented with these and now have them fitted on all my bikes, no more hand pain.

Big hands + Big grips = All day comfort.

Don’t listen to the cool kids 😉 .

billybob
    Free Member

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again – BMX grips, soft & lovely. I know I’m wasting my breath – but it’s the way forward!

miketually
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s the grips causing the problem? Might also be worth looking at bar height, etc?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

ODI Longnecks, also available as a lock on grip. Very soft, Ive just swapped from them to the superstar ones and they are far harder.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Softer Lock on Grips?’ is closed to new replies.