Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Soft knee pads I can put on without taking off my shoes?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve tried 661 pads, but the neoprene back means you need to take your shoes off to put them on. Who makes “strap on” soft pads and are they any good?

cheers

MrNutt
    Free Member

what’s the issue with taking off your shoes to put your pads on?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Not tried them but 661 evo have that fancy gel which reacts on impact. Not favoured by dh’ers because they have been known to puncture thus negating the protection.

As above, cant see why you’d need to put them on over shoes. I like troy lee T bones myself.

jedi

look at bmx pad compnys

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

It’s cold, it’s wet, it’s my choice, I dont want to take them off. I can put my hard shell knee/shin guards on over shoes, so why not a soft pair?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Er, yeah sure…if you want to compromise on a piece of armour because your tootsies are cold then that’s your call. You could always get some sealskin socks, that way even if you have to walk around out of your shoes your feet wont get cold.

The sock/tube style pads are like that for a reason – when you crash they stay on, unlike most open strapped pads in my experience.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

OK, sorry I prompted a typical STW smart arse response by not making my questions clear eanough. I have heavier duty armour, I was actually looking for a comprimise solution for more xc type rides in the wet and ice. Anyway, isnt all armour a comprimise to some degree or another?

Plus, they keep your knees warm at this time of the year.

Thanks Jedi, I’ll check some bmx pads out.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have the 661 Evo jobs which I bought specifically so I could wear them all day without having to stop to put on/take off. I put them on in the car park (before my shoes), ride, take them off in the car park after my shoes. Job done

smurf
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring

What do you think to the 661 evo pads? Comfy? Fallen off in them yet?

smurf

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

“Not tried them but 661 evo have that fancy gel which reacts on impact. Not favoured by dh’ers because they have been known to puncture thus negating the protection”.

http://www.hkbicycle.com.hk/article/image/RedBullRampage08-Trek.jpg

661 D30 Evo pads seem to be in favor here….

I have the D30 661 pads and they work well for me, I actually use these instead of the Dainese pads which I’m forever hitching up.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

smurf, very comfortable. They kind of adapt to your shape so once you’ve had them on 5 mins you don’t really notice them. Not had the chance to wear them too often. The biggest pileup I had was the black at Laggan went over the bars in the middle of the Three Tears – got a 5.9 from the Italian judge. 🙂 Impact was enough to completely break my carbon bars and bend the mech hanger but I was absolutely fine – was wearing the Evo knee and elbow pads as I have a dicky elbow and always seem to land on them

solamanda
    Free Member

Not commenting on the pads themselves but how is a pro wearing something they’re given free relevant in choosing any gear?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d quite like some Kyle Strait’s with that D30 tackle in them, I find the regular Straits are good, just pull them down and have them by your ankles when driving then pull em up when you start riding?

m_t_b
    Free Member

I am looking at getting pads, anyone used 661 tomcats? I need some for trail riding so comfort is a must.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

They are generally not favoured by dh’ers and freeriders for reasons I’ve mentioned above. Semenuk is sponsored by 661 and it’s not crazy to assume that he had custom pads designed just for him, possibly just for the rampage. They may have had a hard shell, they may have been re-inforced to resist puncturing, or maybe he thought the sandy soil of utah didnt represent much of a puncturing threat.

Or maybe, as has been well discussed since the dawn of time – what pros are paid to wear means diddly squat in the real world.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Soft knee pads I can put on without taking off my shoes?’ is closed to new replies.