Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Soft / Hard Brexit
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Soft = what remain votwrs want, basically as close to being an eu member as possible
    Hard = what most Leavers want, as few ties with EU as possibke, zero budhet contribution, as broad as possible free trade deal, no freedom of movement

How odd that even UKIP argue for soft Brexit and even you insisted the Eu will accept a trade deal because of german car makers or trade deficit . Almost no one prior to the vote was claiming we would have a hard Brexit as everyone wanted free trade.

We should negotiate a new UK-EU deal based on free trade and friendly cooperation. We end the supremacy of EU law. We regain control. We stop sending £350 million every week to Brussels and instead spend it on our priorities, like the NHS and science research

This is still available on the vote leave website Its many things but it is not a hard brexit pledge.
    TBH to claim Brexit meant the same to all Brexit voters is BS to claim they all knew and they all wanted a hard Brexit is an outright falsehood easily disproved.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need to be willing to threaten/risk/take a hard brexit in order to successfully negotiate a soft brexit

so in a divorce settlement you need to threaten to walk away with nothing in order to get something/what you really want. You sure about that ? Have you really thought it through?

mattyfez

The thing is we can’t play hard ball, Europe although they are being pretty civilised about, they know this. We know this.

The best possible deal we can theoretically negotiate will put us in a slightly less beneficial position than that which we are already in.

Europe don’t seem to be being dicks about it, but they are quite reasonably pushing for things to start moving, our internal identity crisis is simply not thier problem or thier concern.

If we can’t come to the table with an agreeable exit strategy, then our membership and it’s privelidges will simply cease by default, it’s that simple.

oldracer
    Free Member

Comedy gold this thread watching the Leavers twist!

slowoldman

We need more people in this country anyway so I’m sure we’d happily accept people from down south who wanted to stay in the EU

I’m on my way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@matty of course we can. EU desperately needs our money, there is no agreement amongst the 27 as to what to do about the budget – pay more in or take less out. Tariffs are in our favour and its an easy political trick to say something like “all tariffs with eu will go to nhs”. Services are tariff free and onky 30% of our services are financial and thus subject to regulatory barriers. Cars we have a trade imbalance of £30bn pa. As I have posted before eurozone is very exposed over Greece (and Italy) and with UK and US being major IMF shareholders they have to have us onside.

aracer
    Free Member

…and yet apparently according to some bloke on here they will be unwilling to extend the timetable to achieve things beneficial to them.

NZCol

One of my advisory board is an mp, his constituency voted leave. He was there 3 days post decision and his constituents were asking why there were still Polish people there and why they hadn’t left. That’s what they voted for.

That’s what we’re dealing with, Brexit means different things to different people.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This is what I have been saying all day, EU is worried and a WTO Brexit looks more likely

[video]https://youtu.be/Ae6z-mfvuMo[/video]

kimbers

????? What has Rupert Murdoch told you to think there Jamba?

Brexit has damaged the country inflation up, growth down, weve sunk to lowest of the g7 since the vote, this Tory government has damaged it further with its self serving election to try and mitigate the Brexit negotiations fallout

I’m sure it will cost the EU, its a loose loose situation, but right now Britain looks like a basket case, right now, the EU are being generous and pitying us but their patience will only last so long on

Remarkable really that so many people are still behind the Tories,

piemonster
    bails

It makes sense, why would Ruth Davidson (with a female, Catholic fiancé) want to side with a bunch of homophobic anti-catholic creationist nutjobs?

graemecsl
    Free Member

Hard – Soft = In or Out of the Single Market & customs union.

Here’s why it can never happen, say I import widgets, or say T shirts from say Bangladesh (like Primark), at the moment I have to pay 12% duty at the point of import. Now lets say we exit yet keep in the customs union for tarif free trade, yet want to do a better deal with Bangladesh so we lower our Trade Tariffs with them, I then get my shirts duty free, so not only do they get to be cheaper all the shops I sell them to immediately get a better deal than all the shops in the EU and there’s this internet thing.. Now imagine they were higher ticket item things like say Cars…

Are we beginning to see why it can’t happen, we can only be in or out, not both.

kimbers

Are we beginning to see why it can’t happen, we can only be in or out, not both.

How do Norway do it?

nick1962
    Free Member

How do Norway do it?

By paying to be members!
    As I see it we will have a “hard Brexit” whether we want one or not.It’s not up to the Uk what happens, it’s up to the EU.The forthcoming negotiations are all the EU is concerned with at present and they have published what they want and expect to get-the so called divorce settlement.There is no obligation on their part to have any discussions after this divorce settlement.
    I suspect that UK will be aiming for a Customs Union like Turkey have but with agricultural products included.

Northwind

It’s quite interesting, people are talking about the NI need for a soft border as a taming influence on May but it’s looking like the real “loyal opposition” is going to be Davidson- and considering she just had a great campaign by mostly ignoring orders from Westminster, was pro-remain, and represents a lot of remain voters, and is not one bit happy about the DUP alliance… I’d assumed it’d be a DUP rift that’d bring down this lame duck government but maybe not.

graemecsl
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson will be inline for the next leader and she’ll act in both the UK and Scotlands interest, but, whoever, whatever commerce is like physics and some rules just can’t be broken.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Soft / Hard Brexit’ is closed to new replies.