Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Soft Armour – SixSixOne Sub gear or….
  • noodlesuk15
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone wears any long sleeved soft armour with shoulder and elbow protection? The only option I can see is the SixSixOne Sub gear which looks OK, any opinions on this or better alternatives?

Never worn armour before but after ruining my left elbow yesterday (which will keep me off the bike for a few weeks apparently) I think it might be a good idea.. Its just for fast trail riding so something with good abrasion resistance would be good, impact absorption is not too important.

Thanks

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve used the sub-gear a couple of times now for uplifts/DH. Found it to be very snug fitting which meant the pads don’t float around and get out of position.
    It’s meant to be a compression layer and, as such, works well. It is a bit warm but didn’t find it a problem.
    The material seems fairly tough but can’t comment on abrasion resistance as I’ve not tested the protection in anger.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’ve got the long sleeve 661 top, which I wear pretty much all the time when I’m riding. The fit is kind of funny, it’s very very tight around the waist (im 30″ waist) at first, and then was kind of baggy around the shoulders (built like a waif). After a couple of uses, all the stitching around the waist came out, so it fitted better. Then all the stitching tore and came out around the neck and arms. I repaired it, and at the same time pulled it a bit tighter.

Its a good product, but mine was very poorly made.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Similar to kiksy here. It’s an odd fit but it does fit. I’ve had a little stitching come out but not enough to have anything come apart. The protection is ok and a lot better than nothing. I always wear it with something over the top. It’s pretty tight so similar to wearing lucrative shorts without baggies. It’s comfy enough to just wear without thinking about it and I don’t find it hot at all. It is technical wicking fabric.

chakaping
    Free Member

These might be a better option if elbows are your main concern…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-rhythm-elbow-guards-2013/rp-prod72464?gs=1&gclid=COqL-5PCvMYCFUcOwwodW5cBGg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Drop me a line if you want to try a medium pair. I’d say they were more M/L in sizing, but very stretchy so sizing is not as vital as with some pads.

Kahurangi

For trail riding you might be better off with some comfy elbow pads. A DH suit will be very hot for pedally riding and you’ll end up not using it.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got three Subgears I like them

The ls is more effective than the ss and works well if you’re in the habit of using your elbows as brakes and/or pinging off trees

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the subgear vests – and have used the shoulder pads on collisions with trees…

I cut the front padding off as I am not so sure of its utility versus the heat it causes – simple unstitching job that doesn’t affect the shirt.

noodlesuk15
    Free Member

Thanks guys, CRC has the long sleeve variant on clearance for £48 so I’v just put an order in. Hopefully it might save another hospital visit next time I get a bit too confident..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Soft Armour – SixSixOne Sub gear or….’ is closed to new replies.