Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Sofa – where from?
  • robdob
    Free Member

I’ve never bought a sofa new. But now we want to get a new one.

So we’ve seen a nice one in ikea, but obviously want to look around. I don’t want to go to DFS or the like, but I just can’t recall seeing any other shops that sell them. Maybe M and S, but they seem expensive (even with a 20% staff discount!)

My wife and I were trying to think last night where we might have seen sofas for sale but couldn’t get past Ikea and DFS!

So is there anywhere else I can look in West Yorkshire that is more at the, ahem, affordable end of the market?

ericemel
    Free Member

I quite like Next sofas. Also John Lewis depending on Budget.

be careful of the classic *on sale* places such as DFS – often the sale price is the regular price. Not saying they are bad sofas though.

Though my wife has been looking here
    http://www.sofa.com/

wwaswas

We got a leather sofa and chair from here about 14 years ago. Still going strong and most people assume it’s all pretty new.

http://www.artdeco-sofas.com/

this one;

Not ‘cheap’ but certainly value for money.

stumpy01

We got ours from Furniture village. They weren’t cheap, but they do seem very good quality & the customer service was very good.

darryl1983
    Free Member

We brought our last sofa from DFS, it was a returned item they had in the back that was 8 weeks old, was returned because the people that brought it didn’t like the size of the gap between the sofa’s where they joined (both sofa’s were recliners), but it was only at the back of the sofa that the gap was a problem. They paid over £4k for it. We got it for £1400. and only had to wait a couple days for delivery.

They had quite a selection to choose from in the back too. So if you don’t mind getting an almost new sofa, thats a good option for a cheaper sofa. They also do 0% finance.

I think we went to SCS before that and got a cheap 3 seater for our first appartment. Cost just under £300 and lasted about 2 years.

robdob
    Free Member

I worked in retail a long time so I am very aware of the pricing techniques of the big retail sheds!

Don’t want a leather sofa, neither of us like them.

Not looked at Next but of imagine they’d be quite expensive, and maybe not our style. I’ll take a look though.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not Sofa Sofa whatever you do, utter crap and won’t warranty clearly faulty goods, avoid at all costs 👿

Klunk
    Free Member

Divani have always been good value.

robdob
    Free Member

Like the Art Deco place! But it’s other end of England to us so not easy to try them out. 🙁

robdob
    Free Member

Not Sofa Sofa whatever you do, utter crap and won’t warranty clearly faulty goods, avoid at all costs

Will avoid – thanks.

Sui
    Free Member

try this website http://www.homesandbargains.co.uk/news-and-advice/marks-spencer-furniture-outlet-savings

i’ve used London Warehouse and picked up 2 Ex Next bamboo sofa’s for £250 all in – the difference in quality between these and my DFS sofa’s is immense (i hate DFS with a passion, shitty, shitty sofa’s)

edit to add, the next sofa’s i bought for the conservatory retailed at £500 each – there was nothing wrong with them bar a blemish on one of the cushions. they are my favourite seats in the house still.

andyl
    Free Member

M&S brought out a cheaper range just after I bought my leather ones which I was annoyed about as they were the kind of fabrics that I was looking for (nice and neutral) for my flat (was a man-pad) but I think they have stopped doing them now. I just shopped around local furniture places and got a good deal on an end of line sofa and arm chair. Didn’t like the Sofa Sofa ones no anything from DFS and didn’t rate the comfyness of the cheaper Ikea stuff.

Had one repair just before the warranty ended as the frame split (newer ones have a hidden middle leg) and the repair man was amazed as it looked like new. All I do is treat it with Gliptone leather cleaner and restorer every 6 months.

Am wondering if I can put a clause in the contract when I rent out the flat that they must treat the leather sofa once every 6 months like I did? hmm

andyl
    Free Member

As an example of the kind of place I mean: I got mine from the place that used to be here back in 2005: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=whiteladies+road&hl=en&ll=51.465628,-2.610675&spn=0.002737,0.008256&sll=51.466039,-2.611957&sspn=0.002737,0.008256&t=h&radius=0.21&hq=whiteladies+road&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.46555,-2.610596&panoid=zm33pyvEH7z1Svl3-Q_NUA&cbp=12,234.14,,0,-2.98

There is a new place there now (open a couple of years) but same kind of stuff (and possibly the same company re-born) but try those kind of places as you might get something nice and good quality that they have got in an end of line lot.

robdob
    Free Member

Please remember I said West Yorshire – Bristol/Brighton/Cambridge/Liverpool are not much use to me!

mos

we got our from Ice Interiors at Redbrick Mill. Although it was just a rebadged Rom. Which you can also get from Lindays Furniture Mill in Milnsbridge.
    Not megabucks though considering people seems to regard redbrick as expensive.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

You could try – http://www.brandinteriors.co.uk/ They have a shop in skipton. Mainly ex M&S & Next stuff. Good prices.

Sidney
    Free Member

After looking round we eventually got our sofas from John Lewis. They were 450 and 499 so I think one of their cheapest ranges but they feel very well built. This was after owning some sofas from Homebase for less than a year that felt very cheap. The joke is they would have cost far more than the John Lewis ones had we paid full price. To be honest, even at 40% I felt pissed of with the homebase sofas! We got what we paid for!

yunki
    Free Member

try nabru.co.uk for similar quality to ikea but with a twist.. ours is very comfy and still going strong

cheers_drive

Our sofa came from DFS, oh the shame of it. In fact it’s not a bad sofa for the money although it’s looking a bit saggy after 7 years use. Too be fair it was the only one in DFS that was any good.
    As someone else has said don’t touch Sofa Sofa – rude on the phone and really cheap and uncomfortable

peterfile
    Free Member

If you can wait a little while, Made.com are pretty hard to beat!

Made

4ags4
    Free Member

Loads of furniture shops at Birstall shopping park off J27 of M62 – worth having a look round (and then go to Ikea!)

sparkyrhino

recently got two sofas from asda direct,praticaly the same sofa in dfs(where we first saw them) but was over twice the price,only down side long delivery time.very nice and well made.

br
    Free Member

Ours came from Laura Ashley, had them over 12 years now – only issue is that the footstool material has faded, but its been a lot in the sun.

Folks just bought from John Lewis, not cheap but feel and look quality.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Head to Redbrick Mill in Batley for the ex-display sales of Multiyork. That’s where ours both came from.
    Circa 50% off shop prices and as (the vast majority) of the range have covers you can change you can, if needed, change them to suit your decor…. same for the cushions – pick foam / feather etc – As it happens we got lucky, cushions and covers on the ones we picked worked just fine for us… we were doubly lucky as we were looking in their Leeds shop when the delivery guys took a sofa off display I happened to ask what they did with ex display stuff and the helpful assistant told us… saved a good few quid!

Redbrick mill also has a whole load of other furniture options, across all styles & prices.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Csl, veyron in bison material,man made suededy effect, we have the 3seat and chair recliners, huge and comfy, 72hr free delivery, 10pm pet care against rips stains etc, our mech was a bit wobbly i rang up and within 4 hours a guy came with a whole new mech and its good as new, brilliant service!!!! And im 20stone so its easy for me to break sofas/beds lol no faults looks stunning and colors and material options are huge!!!!!!

nano
    Free Member

DFS – 4 years interest free

As long as you can find one that appeals what’s not to like? Sadly for STW’ers there aren’t many bearded types in sheds turning out bespoke 3pc suites 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

we got our sofa and love chair from Next. Wasnt cheap but wasn’t mega expensive either. Love it and have not ago finished paying it off too! Got 32 year no interest.

andyl
    Free Member

robdob – Member
    Please remember I said West Yorshire – Bristol/Brighton/Cambridge/Liverpool are not much use to me!

I said “as an example of the kind of place I mean”

won’t bother next time….humpf (goes off in a strop for a cry.. 😉 )

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, will investigate…..

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

Despite the requirement being “new” – have you tried the charity shops? What furniture of mine that wasn’t hand-me-down I got from the local YMCA furniture shop. It can be a bugger finding matching sets, but my 2 seater settee & 3 seater sofa-bed were just over a hundred quid and are still going strong-ish after 6 years.

daveh
    Free Member

There’s a simple way to judge how well a sofa is made, lift it up from underneath one corner. If its nigh on impossible to lift and the whole side comes off the ground it’s a good one, if its easy to lift and the frame twists to allow you to pick up just one corner, it’s not. People do look at you funnily but it’s amazing what you find out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sofa sofa in Newport. Made very well and inexpensively in Wales.

LoCo
    Free Member

NOOOOOO!, see above 😉 Have one of their most exspensive ones in the house utter nightmare of a sofa 😯

Coyote
    Free Member

Check out Dwell. We used them and were very happy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Love my John Lewis sofa. Incredibly comfy and well made.

Not massively expensive either, about £800 IIRC.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Christopher Pratts in Leeds or Barker & Stonehouse at Knaresborough or Birstall. Good sofas the lit of them. Just wait fir the sales.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

LoCo – Member

NOOOOOO!, see above Have one of their most exspensive ones in the house utter nightmare of a sofa

I was going to suggest Sofa Sofa too – we’ve got a pair that have seen us well. I guess there’s fans and horror stories for most places. I know it’s not in your neck of the woods, but I’m pretty sure they do a home trial thing.

cinnamon_girl

The most comfy sofa and chairs I’ve ever sat on were made by G Plan. Proper seats with a high back to support the head. Properly upholstered in good quality fabric.

Edukator
    Free Member

“fabric” is not properly upholstered. Leather is properly upholstered.

I agree on the high back though, Don’t forget reclining mechanisms for at least two places.

wallop

We got an Ashley Manor sofa from an independent retailer http://www.ashleymanor.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Sofa – where from?’ is closed to new replies.