Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • So…..erm…..what's the optimum internal rim width?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

For trail riding??
    Using maxxis HR2s/DHFs/DHR2s.
    32mm internal or 35mm internal?

mboy
    Free Member

Very subjective

Personally reckon for 2.3″ Maxxis a 27mm internal is about optimum, anything wider can square it off a bit too much.

butterbean
    Free Member

Both sound excessively wide to me, for anything, let alone trail riding.

qwerty
    Free Member

What width are the tyres?

= and apparently some tyres suit a wider rim better than others due to tyre profile.

I reckon for your average 2.3″ tyre a 30mm internal is as big as you wanna go.

IIRC most of the new Spesh bikes come with 30mm & 2.3″.

zelak999
    Free Member

2.4 up front and 2.3 rear.
    I said trail riding as opposed to downhill etc.
    Trail riding pretty much covers everything doesn’t it?

Kahurangi

My trail bike covers XC to DH, so yes.

I’m running 2.5 DHF2 and 2.4 DHR Minions on 30 mm Flows and they’re spot on.

Northwind

I think most people won’t notice any difference between 32 and 35 tbh, it’s not really that big a chance (yes it’s a 10% increase but that has a much smaller impact on tyre shape and size).

Mine are 30mm and I’m happy using any tyre on them, I wouldn’t put a 1.8 on but not because they’re too wide- because it’s 2016 😆

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve got 35mm internal ibis wheels. I’ve run minion dhr2s on them and the side knobs are fine. Same with magic Mary and Hans dampf combo (think they’re 2.35).

Dunno about 32mm internals but at 35mm you do need to be careful about the tyre profile as some will flatten out rather than stay round. (If that makes sense)

DiscJockey
    Free Member

23mm internal width seems perfect to me for 2.4″ tyres (Flows, 823s etc.)

I love my EX729s, but really don’t think anyone needs anything that wide…for normal tyres that is 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I think an HR2 in 2.3 or 2.4 will be very square on a 30mm+ rim, as would a Minion SS. The other 2.3 Minions should be ok on 30mm but better on 25mm than 35mm. 2.4 or 2.5 Minions will be great on 35mm rims as they’re designed for them.

Bear in mind the wider the rims, the more the sidewalls bulge out clear of the side knobs – not ideal in rocky places.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Either too wide to me.

Hesitant about going back to 23 Id for 30id.

Any negative effects, not found any.

Tyres seemed too square with the wider rim

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘So…..erm…..what's the optimum internal rim width?’ is closed to new replies.