• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sods law (cracked heckler)
  • superfli
    Free Member

2 weeks after getting my 09 Heckler frame powder coated, and 3 rides in and I notice this crack on the swingarm:

Flexing the rear and it opens up slightly.
    So its a new rear or welding. Whats the STW opinion on welding them? Is it a 6000 grade ali on Heckler? I’ve heard you cant repair weld 7000.

Either way, another powdercoat 🙄

Never bust a frame before.

scotroutes

Could the powdercoating process be the cause?

superfli
    Free Member

It crossed my mind, but have no idea. It is heated in oven, but it looks like fatigue thats broken the weld.

galactus
    Free Member

Santa cruz have a recommended temperature for the frame.
    I remember having to state this to the powder coater I used as the recommended temp was lower than he was going to use.
    Was quite easy to find on google 😀

superfli
    Free Member

oh poo. I didnt want to read that

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

What year did the pinch bolt rear stay get changed?

superfli
    Free Member

superfli
    Free Member

Jungle (SC uk) reckon its more likely general stress and not the respray that caused the break – I did tell them it had been powdercoated 3 rides ago. After I questioned it due to what I have seen on here (the only place I can find with any info on powdercoatnig probs). They are now questioning SC US.

I’m getting the rest of the frame xray’d for fatigue/stress by people in aerospace industry and either welded repair or new swingarm. It’ll put my mind at ease before going to Chatel with my max recommended fork length up front (160mm) 😯

drew

My son’s Heckler has a crack in exactly the same place and that’s never been powder coated.

russianbob
    Free Member

My ’08 went in the same place. It was a more or less acknowledged fault and they changed the swingarm in ’10. I got a replace swingarm FOC from SC via Jungle.

superfli
    Free Member

This is sort of good news. It gives me confidence that the rest of the front triangle will be ok, and the powdercoating of repaired or replacement rear wont be so much of a problem. Swingarm is off the bike now and going back to powder finishers tomorrow or day after for them to inspect.

russianbob
    Free Member

I’d get it straight off to Jungle. They’re really really good in my opinion. I think the failure is down the the stresses put onto the arm due to the pinch design. The newer arm does away with it and uses a collet(?) bolt instead.

superfli
    Free Member

Well, I have my email back from SC US:

“We would bake our bikes at 200c for 20 minutes. The temps did not cause the crack.”

So, the previous posts about SC frames and powdercoating are a load of bull and should be ignored – these:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/powder-coating-my-heckler
    there was another on here, but cant find it.

Both Jungle and SC US do not have issues with powdercoating.

I’ll be ordering a new updated swingarm then, and it is sods law that the old one broke 3 rides after getting it painted 🙁

There can be a lot of rubbish advice given on here sometimes

legend
    Free Member

Are you the original owner? Otherwise they wont sell you the replacement swingarm.

It’s probably just a sticker anyway

superfli
    Free Member

yes, but lost my receipt….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Have you registered the bike with the form in the setup guide? You can do it online with the frame number I think. It mentions not needing the receipt.

superfli
    Free Member

Fair bit of difference between old and new:

Much thicker tubes around pivot and obviously no pinch bolt.
    Getting powdercoat next week.

br
    Free Member

Where is the ‘Aluminium frames are crap’ post, ‘cos if it’d been titanium…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sods law (cracked heckler)’ is closed to new replies.