Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So….Derek on chanel 4. Am I the only one that likes it?
  • specialknees
    Free Member

Watched it from the start and really like it.
    I know its nicey nicey but I just really like it.
    Not a Ricky Gervais fan but I think he nailed it?
    Insisted Mrs S watched it but she just said it was just OK.
    None of my work pals really got it.
    Is it just me?

dogbert
    Free Member

nope, not just you, I love it and I wouldn’t call myself a massive Gervais fan.

I’ll openly admit, when the old woman died it got very dusty in the Dogbert household

costello
    Free Member

I sobbed like a flickin baby

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Brilliant episode tonight !
    I love it. This series was a big improvement too.

Brilliant TV I thought.

Expect some Ricky Gervais haters who didnt watch it, but hated it, will be along soon.

dogbert
    Free Member

I sobbed like a flickin baby

Obviously what I meant:

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep love it as well
    Can’t stand Gervais in interviews, as himself, in stand up or generally as an actor, but as a writer of stuff like this he is superb
    A friend was really slating it the other week, mainly due to having a kid with the same condition as Derek, and not finding the portrayal funny, he didn’t get it one bit, when I explained it wasn’t actually about Derek but the other issues that are in a way almost pushed into the background (as often happens in the similar real life situations) it suddenly clicked with them
    It has many layers I think, and is very sensitive, mixes just about the right amount of comedy to get away with it, but I don’t view it as a comedy show

specialknees
    Free Member

Glad its not just me.

Yes, I admit I cried too, only a little bit though.

boltonjon

Don’t normally like his other shows, but i’ve thoroughly enjoyed Derek – as some above noted – its very layered

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah, always thought Ricky over rated as a stand up and actor but Derek was great – I did like Extras too though.

eugeo81
    Free Member

I was hooked since the pilot, brilliant series and its just been commissioned a second series by C4

fervouredimage
    Free Member

He has yet to better the office and as a writer he can’t cut it without Merchant.

Regardless I still think the office puts gervais in the genius camp but Derek just tries far too hard to tug at the heart strings. It’s too contrived and the female lead is absolutely bloody awful.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t quite see why there is a need for RG to portray someone with learning difficulties(?), a naif?, not particualrly central to the narrative, but if it is, the why not get some with learning difficulties or whatever, to play the role.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

big gervais fan here, nothing will surpass the genius that was the office.

Derek is very good though, it was still a bit ‘too office’ in parts but i guess thats what he does best.

he is very ‘marmite’ but as he says himself most of his backlash happens becuase “People confuse the subject of a joke with the target of a joke”

terrahawk
    Free Member

can’t stand it. and RG is a cock.

Mounty_73

I have really enjoyed it, not seen the last episode yet.

I loved the seaside episode and the writing on the crabs….I could not stop laughing for some reason, even now when I am writing about it…. 🙂

binners

I’ve only managed to catch 1 or 2, but they’ve been really good. Need to have a series catch-up methinks. Managing to make a programme that is both funny, yet sensitive to subject matter is something very few people could achieve. And most wouldn’t even attempt

nealglover
    Free Member

Expect some Ricky Gervais haters who didnt watch it, but hated it, will be along soon.

Took longer than normal to be honest.

STW standards are slipping.

mudshark
    Free Member

Does a show like this help people understand these people more – both the elderly as well as people like Derek? I thought the last episode tried to do this particularly though was maybe a bit contrived – especially Kev’s character explaining that he’s a failure. BTW, Hannah is lovely!

spacemonkey

Saw a few episodes of the first series but haven’t time to watch this one. Tis clever though IMO.

I also think that regardless of whether you like RG, he knows how to write characters/stuff that unsettles people. And that takes some doing IMO. Speaking of which, have you seen his bad taste charity sketch (Comic Relief or Sport Relief or whatever it was) from about 2005? Quality.

teasel
    Free Member

Bastards – this thread needs a spoiler warning…!

winston_dog
    Free Member

+1

Can’t stand it or RG. Yes The Office was funny but he has done nothing of note since. His stand up was absolutely dreadful and for that pathetic “Flaminal” book, the least said the better.

BTW, Hannah is lovely!

WTF???

pypdjl
    Free Member

its funny when he does the mong face lol

binners

Yes The Office was funny but he has done nothing of note since

Have you seen the episode of Extra’s with Kate Winslett in it? Watch that and then come back and tell us he’s done nowt decent

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnjiGwVw6o[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41IgiLGlI0w[/video]

winston_dog
    Free Member

I will change my earlier post to “he has never done anything of note unless Stephen Merchant has been involved, who it would appear is the gifted comedy writer out of the two.”

I admit I did laugh at the Extras episode with Ross Kemp and Vinnie Jones but he is still a complete co*k.

mudshark
    Free Member

BTW, Hannah is lovely!

WTF???

So you think she’s a right cow then? If I go to one of those homes I hope someone like her is looking after me.

binners

Just for you Winston….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDhqDGk0K4[/video]

Genius!

mudshark
    Free Member

Bowie sings:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE[/video]

rewski
    Free Member

I’m afraid I pre-judged and didn’t bother, the trailers looked awful, then I caught the making of… the other night and it looked pretty good, RG came across genuine and humble. I will definitely give it a try, another lesson learnt.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

the genius that is RG..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo8y53n8onQ[/video]

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Gervais needs Merchant and likewise Merchant needs Gervais, but merchant has a better understanding of human frailties and how they can be funny. Gervais struggles with this and Derek proves it IMO. I enjoyed Derek but it was far too manipulative, too contrived and overtly blatant with its set-ups for the quintessential tear jerk moments.

The final line in the final episode should have been “Derek took the best shortcut, the only shortcut worth taking…. Coldplays Fix You”

flip
    Free Member

Love it 😀

If only for Kerry Godliman..

NJA

I cried at the end last night, my 15 year old son watching with me just didn’t get it.

I have loved every episode of this series, it has improved immeasurably from the first.

trevron73
    Free Member

One of my staff is the spitting image of Derek , when this boy comes to work after a night on the drugs and hes a bit fuzzy he is just like Derek , shuffles gurns the lot ,all the other staff call him Derek since i pointed it out ,its only mild bullying so i let them away with it .

Hadge
    Free Member

Loved every single episode but the last one had me in tears of laughter form the beginning with the baby monkey on the pig and Derek singing along to crying with sadness and happy sadness at the end when he runs back to his dad.
    I mean no offence to anyone but if you’ve had an experience of life, this series tugs at those strings and you can believe in the characters and the whole episodes. I wasn’t a massive fan of RG but the whole script writing in Derek is just the best thing I’ve ever watched, I believe it’s that good and cannot wait for the next series. Absolutely love it.

colournoise

Think it’s a hugely clever and well written bit of TV. Yes, it’s clichéd in places (the weekly bit where the mockumentary format is suddenly dumped in favour of a montage) and manipulative, but my reading of it is that that’s precisely the point.

Ought to win some awards IMHO, but unlikely to.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I’m not a particularly massive RG fan. But Derek made me put the ipad down and give very minute my full attention. Quality TV.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So….Derek on chanel 4. Am I the only one that likes it?’ is closed to new replies.