Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sodastream, out of my life and I can't even say 'fare well'
  • wwaswas

because the new owners are making it in confiscated land on the West Bank.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10028397.Quakers_call_for_boycott_of_Brighton_store/

I’d read that it had been bought by an Israelie (sp?) company and thought ‘My kids would like that’ but had no idea they were producing it on siezed lands on the West Bank.

Shame that such an iconic product of my youth should end up being part of a grubby attempt to steal land from others.

somafunk

I remember getting a sodastream for my 10th birthday….i can still remember the massive strop and kiddy huff i threw as wot-the-fec does a 10yr old need a sodastream for?, it was a beige model with a brown handle and it sprayed carbonated water everywhere, i wanted a new air rifle and the latest rambo knife with the compass at the end and survival kit in the handle., (got them eventually with birthday money and my wages from working at the weekends).

I’m glad to see there is someone else who boycotts Israeli stuff, folk think i’m mad when i check labels in the supermarket and i refuse to buy owt from Israel or anything owned by them.

I bought a pair of “Funkier” bib shorts which i sent back after finding out they’re made in Israel, i would’ve kept them if they had an ethical policy statement on their website or such like but despite a few emails i never heard back from them.

druidh
    Free Member

Ethical purchasing? That must make life difficult. What about “Made in Britain” – is that OK?

somafunk

Do we bulldoze innocent citizens homes and land that have been in the same Palestinian family for generations with 60 ton Bulldozers and build massively subsidised settlements/homes for Zionist American Jews to walk into then allow them to treat the Palestinian people like dogs?……..as far as i’m aware the English along with a few Scottish landowners tried something similar to that a few centuries ago and we’re still talking about it now – what do you consider is going to happen in Palestine if we allow this to continue?

Zionist Israel(is) deserve all they get, you reap what you sow, etc…etc..yadda…yadda (see what i did there?), they are war criminals in my understanding of the issue and should be tried accountably for their actions and continuing land grabbing processes, and if Romney gets in gawd help the Palestinians…they’re gonna need all the help they can get to survive as a nation.

vinnyeh

Pretty nasty rant there somafunk, irrespective of rights and wrongs of your opinion..

Zionist Israel(is) deserve all they get, you reap what you sow, etc…etc..

They seem to have got pretty much what they wanted.

wwaswas

I must say I can’t quite muster the vitriol that somafunk does but I do find the whole ‘if you question anything Israel does then you’re anti-semitic’ approach very tiresome/designed to wind people up.

You only have to look at the comments on the article to see that in action.

Can they not see that not all of us equate the state of Israel and being Jewish as being interhcnageable terms?

somafunk

Nah, i don’t consider it a nasty rant in the slightest given what is happening in Palestine today, some folk may read what i’ve written and agree with me, others may vehemently disagree but that’s their prerogative.

Israel or the vast majority of peaceful israelis have a right to peaceful existence, Palestine or palestinians/muslims/arabic/christians etc have a right to peaceful existence, Zionists and their beliefs have no place in either.

My thoughts, my freedom to express them and seeing as i don’t feel the need to make friends on a web forum i guess others will disagree with me – that’s ok, i won’t get upset.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m asking where you draw the line. Nothing Chinese because of human rights abuses? Nothing US or British due to illegal wars? Nothing German because of the holocaust? Is it only current issues you are interested in or past misdemeanour’s?

wwaswas

My view – I’m reluctant to buy stuff made or grown in the occupied territories.

I buy stuff from other countries with human rights ‘issues’ and I’d probably buy Israely stuff if I coudl be sure where it came from.

I’m not going to try and defend the decision against ‘but what about…’ type arguments it’s just where I , personally, have drawn a line.

I don’t have a problem with Israel existing as a state, I do have a problem with the way it behaves. It just seems to be like the victim of childhood abuse who in turn abuses their own children rather than trying to see if there’s a different way to live.

tang
    Free Member

My Grandparents in law are Jewish and boycott Israeli goods because of the Palestinian issue, despite the fact that they have siblings there and donated huge sums of money to the state in the early days.

somafunk

Very clever druidh, lets not turn this into a thread about where i draw the line eh?.

A boycott makes sense as a way of peacefully demonstrating a dislike of a situation or actions, thus hopefully bringing them back into line, back to an established norm of behaviour so to speak.

The most recent information i have (from my Palestinian action group that i am a member of) states that “The Israel Export Institute reported in Feb 2009 that 10% of Israeli exporters were receiving order cancellations due to boycotts of Israeli goods”, the Export group have refused to release any further figures.

The Co-op refuses to buy produce grown from any Israeli settlement, this decision hit 4 Israeli businesses and cost them £400,000, if every supplier/importer did this then perhaps we could engender a change of Israeli policy, until then i’ll continue to check labels and tell others why i’m doing so.

Joe

Well I find your opinion offensive.

somafunk

Good for you joe, and no, i’m genuinely not being facetious. Can you explain what element of my opinion you find offensive as i’d like to understand (or at least try) why people immediately get on the defensive whenever the Israeli (Zionist) treatment of the Palestinians is discussed out in the open?.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I agree with Somafunk. But the biggest question that arises out of this is all about Swiss Army knives. What about them.?

robowns
    Free Member

I buy a product because its something I want/need and don’t really care where it comes from.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sodastream, out of my life and I can't even say 'fare well'’ is closed to new replies.