Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Sod the bling bikes, show me your work horses.
  • Gunz
    Free Member

Don't know about anyone else but I found yesterday's bling bike post a bit unnerving. Like looking at a load of over-preened super models then realsing they were all anorexic. I want to see the biking equivalent of the woman who'll get her own round in.

I'm talking about XT or SLX drivetrain, wheels that use readily available spokes, middle range Easton cockpits (because they just work), a smattering of mud because it's ridden, tyres that don't get changed with the humidity and middleburn oilers keeping everything running sweet forever.

I can't post pictures at the mo' as I'm at work but my poison is a '98 Hei Hei with Rebas, standard issue 717's on Hope XC, Middleburn square taper chainset and faded stickers. Can't ever envisage the need to change.

Over to you lot then if you fancy.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Work horses:

nuke

Gunz
    Free Member

Nuke – exactly what I meant, a thing of beauty.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Definitely a work horse. No time or money for bling just cheap functionality.

I don't have any pics of my fix which is my everyday workhorse.

nuke

Nuke – exactly what I meant, a thing of beauty.

Thank you <blushes>

takisawa2

My Nursery drop-off & commuter workhoss…

eddie11
    Free Member

workshorses = SLX or XT

eek!

where does that leave my sora, Alivio, X7 or OEM (not on the same bike obviously). the knackers yard?

tinsy
    Free Member

No mud as yet, as only ridden it once, and it was dry… might have some mud for tomorrows ride though.. My one bike, does it all… cos it has too bike.

Davy
    Free Member

Sadly now deceassed. 🙁

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

DH work horse – between 5-7years old, ridden 3-4 times a week at the mo, tyres get changed when they wear through, brakes kinda work, everything is flaking paint and cable rubbed to ****. It gets washed when im at my parents or its too dirty to carry through the house (has to be pretty dirty).

On the back of the other workhorse.

footstomper
    Free Member

My very own Workhorse, Jsut treated it to New Bearings/Chain/Rings/Cassette I thought it deserved them after the shit I put it through 😛

RHSno2
    Free Member

I love the 'Fitness Centre' sign just in the corner of that shot.

zaskar
    Free Member

Bit like this but imagine mudguards and a rack added to it…

It's my workhorse-shopping, training and sometimes I kick it when it screws up. 😀

My new horsey needs a chain and front mech and is a mtb to for heavy shopping loads-wip.

TimP
    Free Member

My Kona has a mix of Fox's and Altus!

Decided to spend money on control so forks and brakes (2nd hand Hayes), everything else was in the shed or original on the bike. It has a set of rigid forks for when it becomes my commuter this winter. Still looks clean as I got it 2nd Hand from a middle aged lady who had not even got it wet in its 1st 2 years. It will get abused though! (and photographed in some nicer places than a Thameslink train)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I love the 'Fitness Centre' sign just in the corner of that shot.

🙂

Made me chuckle, even funnier is im parked outside my local 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

My beast of burden.

Iron frame, given, swapped or borrowed from a lovely couple from brizzle
    freebie revs,
    very old easton bar and worn ruffian grips,
    smashed and non pretty X-lite bar end plugs.
    Truativ five D cranks(from very first mtb) 4 year old Square taper BB.
    Half link chain onto a 13tooth(3 teeth have snapped off) rear sprocket
    hope M4 up front with a floating dinner plate, Avid 5 at the rear with normal rotor.
    Use seatpost in non matching blue, with a freebie genesis saddle.
    mavic 219f on hope bulb wheel set battered to hell, dinged and missing one spoke.
    conti vert up front(freebie), hutchinson python out back (cheepo)
    on one doofer.
    Unbranded seat QR and wheel skewers.
    M959 pedals about 4 years old now
    tangoi'mintheshit headset.

Thompson stem(bling from 3/4 bikes ago)

What do i win?

saladdodger
    Free Member

well your not gonna get a snog from me I can tell ya

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Nice to see the 456 going strong Sharki! (Your chameleon is still in our garage anytime you want it!)

sharki
    Free Member

Yes MM, and very pleased i am too, seems like blue 456 are popular around here lol

I'll come by some time soon and see you both and might even remember to get the chammy, i guess with your surprise news many plans have had to change…enjoy!

SD i don't want a snog but is that chain still dripping in Pedros?

benjag
    Free Member

Some might call it bling but it's not, it a workhorse, Alps, peaks, jumps, commute.

MrAgreeable

My Dawes Edge One, with the Mrs's bike lurking behind it. Purchased for the kingly sum of £100 and so far this year it has done the 100k loop at the Crickhowell Merida (where the v-brakes meant I was one of the few people to finish with any kind of stopping power), 3rd place in mixed pairs at the Bristol Bike Fest, and it also spent a couple of months in some crackhead's basement before I won it back on eBay. 😯

ajantom

Proper workhorse (and about half was free) – commute, trails, shops, fun 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My workhorse. XT/SRAM 7 and one bit of 9, seven year old wheels, four year old brakes, four year old cockpit. (new frame and forks though :mrgreen:)

fisha
    Free Member

Here is my day to day bike for commuting…

odd handlebar I hear you ask, well yes, Profile wing base bar with 105 STI shifters. The wing part is really comfy for my palms with the bar tape wrapped round them. I almost prefer the setup to drops completely.

Seamus
    Free Member

On a rare sunny day this summer

vernon-sez
    Free Member

This one has a few miles in it and is 10 yrs old this month. Still my fave bike ever.

BigDummy
    Free Member

alexathome
    Free Member

Go Go Gadget thread revival! check out my chinzilla XT, Awesome!

thefettler
    Free Member

here's my "every ones got one'

Now with rear rack & slicks

robinbetts
    Free Member

My work horse, and I do make it work!

but any work horse needs to be looked after…

stumpy01

robinbetts – so is it the spade, the rake or the 5 that's the workhorse? 😉

Here's a few of mine to prove it's a workhorse….

Workshorse in the snow earlier this yr

Workshorse enjoying a Lake District view from the Altura trail:

Old pic of workhorse during one of my first Thetford races (original Judy Forks & Strongarm Crankset) – note how seriously I am taking the race:

Workhorse enjoying a nice holiday in Spain – Sierra Nevada mountains with Ciclo Montana:

robinbetts
    Free Member

Well… obviously the 5! But the spade was used to shift 10 tones of building rubble from the other side of the garden a few months ago, so yes, it should get some credit too 😉 I'll admit though, the rake doesn't do a lot, just leans against the wall all day!

Edit: The spade also does a sterling job of propping up the back wheel away from the down pipe so I can spin the pedals backwards for cleaning. A true multitasker!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Sod the bling bikes, show me your work horses.’ is closed to new replies.