Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sockguy socks – worth it?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Want some funky, decent cycling socks – are these my only option?

rOcKeTdOg

they are good, hard wearing socks, can't fault them really, just ordered some Singular ones 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Just googled these and they are, in my opinion, a lot of money for a pair socks!

Mind you, who am I to say what you spend your money on.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I've had 4 pairs and they all got holes on the toe fairly quickly.

peteimpreza

You want DeFeet for quality socks.

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

I bought some kona ones and the heels wore out on mine pretty quickly

mrmo
    Free Member

bought some sock guy socks and have to say they are crap. Defeet are far better. The big issue with sockguy is durability.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I've got some and they are very uncomfortable.
    Nasty, hard-wearing fabric.

donsimon
    Free Member

They're quite hideous, are they the cycling equivalent to a Homer Simpson tie?

rOcKeTdOg

You lot have freaky feet 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Better freaky feet than a freaky face.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmmm, not a resounding thumbs up. I'll take a look at defeet. Want some socks with a bit of colour, bored of grey endura coolmax's!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

As above they develop holes as quickly as cheap socks

tragically1969
    Free Member

So not worth it, both my pairs have holes in the toes after a few months.

By contrast i have a few pairs of Defeet that are years old and are still going strong, stick to Defeet.

trailmonkey

overpriced, one wear, tat. avoid.

Sam

Well I've had a batch of socks done by them and they seem to be holding up ok. I'm normally one to put holes in socks quickly due to bizarro feet, but I think the Singular ones are hole-less so far. I find them extremely comfy as well. Agree some of their standard designs are a bit rubbish.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I bought some and the material is uncomfortable and scratchy returned to my £3 for 3 pair Tesco ones which are bright orangea and grey! nice!

trail_rat
    Free Member

horrendously fragile ….

endura coolmax last , as do shimano XTRS ….

richie the silverfish reckons im talking pish but there are several others on here with similar issues – i bought 10 pairs in bulk from my LBS and none lasted to the end of the season – varied between 1 ride and 10 before holes came in the toe and heel – no other sock i have bought done that

swampi
    Free Member

I have loads of pairs of sock guy socks as i like the wacky designs but they wear out very quickly on heel and toe areas, where as i have one pair of Defeet socks and after 4 years they have less wear than some of my 6 month old sock guy socks, hence i have have stopped buying sock guy now

jools182
    Free Member

just get some bridgedale walking socks, they last for years

some of mine must be 6 or 7 years old

Drac

Have a couple of pairs of these comfy enough, still going strong after but they aren't cheap. The Lidl specials I got for £3 for 2 pair are actually better quality.

uplink
    Free Member

varied between 1 ride and 10 before holes came in the toe and heel

You keep data on your socks?

northshoreniall

Useless, couple of pairs I got didn't last two rides. In contrast still wearing some defeets have about 8years.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

didn't MBR say sockguy socks are one the top 50 mtb must-haves?? fine if yoou get them free, i guess…

Wookster

wow have 6-7 pairs some 2-3 years old and they are great!!

Del

ground effect FTW.

donsimon
    Free Member

Doesn't anyone cut their toenails?

fubar
    Free Member

What's that got to do with socks wearing out on heel or balls of foot ?

My last sock order was for the Gaburn Merino and they wore bare after a f ew local strolls in tainers – perhaps they would have lasted longer on the bike ?

donsimon
    Free Member

fubar – Member

What's that got to do with socks wearing out on heel or balls of foot ?

Oh nothing! 🙄

slw – Member

I've had 4 pairs and they all got holes on the toe fairly quickly.

tragically1969 – Member

So not worth it, both my pairs have holes in the toes after a few months.

swampi – Member

I have loads of pairs of sock guy socks as i like the wacky designs but they wear out very quickly on heel and toe areas,

trail_rat – Member

horrendously fragile ….

endura coolmax last , as do shimano XTRS ….

richie the silverfish reckons im talking pish but there are several others on here with similar issues – i bought 10 pairs in bulk from my LBS and none lasted to the end of the season – varied between 1 ride and 10 before holes came in the toe and heel – no other sock i have bought done that

mrmo
    Free Member

not toes only, but also the ball and heel. If it was my feet why have my defeet socks lasted for years?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Neatly trimmed toenail on right toe and no toenail on the left …. both wore at a pretty equal rate. Also wore on my second smallest toe too – being gripped i darned the big toe hole and kept using them….and a hole appeared on the other toe

Uplink – i ride alot 70 rides isnt a long time so yeah in my head i keep data

Had 'eat me' designs last for one 10 under the ben – i was gutted never really considered socks consumables ! endura coolmax for 3 yeears now – yet to wear one out and cheap to boot ! Endura merino are nice also – wore them for 24 hours at strathpuffer and several audaxes – my sock of choice atm and only have 2 pairs !

Bridge dale walking socks are great too

Inov8 seamless socks are really nice – got a sample pair from them at an event and love em ! Cheap too !

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got several pairs, they're a good few year old and lasting really well. Look like new.

Pieface

Defeet seem to be most durable.

Pearl Izumi have quite a diverse range but quality is variable – a couple of mine have gone saggy round the ankles, others havent.

Sockguy seem to have most range but the image quality and material is poor – toes and ankles went pretty quick in mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Old sock guys seem to be better than moderns imho ….i had one pair from years ago that prompted me to buy in bulk ……

chipps

I've not had any problems with any of my Sock Guy socks so far. They seem to be the currency of choice at Interbike and trade launches and so on. We've been very happy with the Sock Guy Singletrack wool socks too and I don't think we've had any back. Compared to Defeet, which are also great socks, I find the Sock Guy cuffs to be way less constrictive and always dig out my Sock Guys when I'm flying anywhere to stop 'Fat Journo Ankles' (a common medical condition…) 🙂

Mind you, I reckon any decent cycling socks are better than high street brands. I have a pair of Defeets that I was given at my first Interbike in 1994 and they're still going strong!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wore the same pair for the whole of 24-12 solo, really can't complain… feet were surprisingly un-disgusting given I was wearing my Pearl Izumi Goretex boots for the 2nd half and it got very warm from about 10am onwards…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mine are all TwinSix commissioned ones btw…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sockguy socks – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.