• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • socket set and drill bit recommendations please
  • sadexpunk

sick of always rooting around in drawers and tins for ‘the right bit’. bout time i got organised for when i do DIY jobs.

so….. without breaking the bank, what recommendations for….

1. medium sized socket set. i have a small set from 5mm to 13mm and equivalent imperial sizes, so next sizes up please. and are imperial worth having these days anyway?

2. a few masonry drill bits. rather than an extensive set, it makes more sense to just have a few quality bits for the common sizes such as red and brown plugs. maybe a few wood bits too, not sure what the most common sizes for those are.

thanks

Cougar

1. Halfords Pro series tend to be highly regarded on the forum. Watch out for sales. Keep the receipt.

2. I bought a set of half a dozen or so Bosch bits in a sort of barrel dispenser back when I bought my drill. I can’t compare them to anything else really but they’re still going strong and it must’ve been 20 years ago that I bought them. Granted, they’ve only been used for occasional DIY use.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

For sockets have a look at the Halfords Pro stuff.They’re often doing sales on their stuff & the Pro gear had a lifetime warranty,just check if that’s still the case.Have a look here http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets?cm_re=SideNav-_-workshoptools-_-socketsets
    For masonry bits I just got a box with the main sizes in from Screwfix or Wickes,they’ve lasted OK so far This kind of thing http://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-extreme-2-masonry-drill-bit-set-5pcs.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

As above really. Halfords pro sockets. 3/8″ drive. No need for imperial unless you work on old cars.

Any mid range (not pound shop) masonry drill will do ime.

PePPeR

Bahco are nicer sockets than Halfords Professional with a nicer ratchet
    , (rubber handle)

The sockets are 6 sided rather than multi point, so don’t round nuts off…

PePPeR
    sadexpunk

thats a nice little set, thanks a lot.

bustaspoke, been looking and i think brown plugs need 7mm drill, that 5 piece set has a 6 and an 8. seems strange that a set wouldnt include one of the most common, so have i got that wrong?

cheers

alanl
    Free Member

I wouldnt be buying a 1/2″ socket set unless I was doing regular work on the suspension/bottom half of cars.
    3/8″ is almost always more suitable for general tasks.
    My 1/2″ only comes out when the car needs a stuck nut getting off.

kormoran
    Free Member

Currently on some hilti masonry bits for work, ho ho are they expensive but very good! Avoid cheapies if you are wanting them to last. Personally i’d pop into your local builders merchant and pick the sizes you want. I’ve also got one of those bosch multi bit valises with various sizes in. Handy to keep under the stairs for the odd chore but they aren’t up to heavier use.

granny_ring

I thought 6mm is for the red plugs and 8mm for the brown.
    I could be wrong though…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

Halfords
    Have one of their sets for £10.26 with a code right now!

kraken2345
    Free Member

Can’t say for drill bits however I’d have to echo similar to the above. Went all out and got the largest halfords pro set on sale for 150 ish I think and it’s been great.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, Halfords Advanced/Pro for socket sets – always on offer, just keep an eye on the website.

Drill bits – personally I wouldn’t buy a set, just buy the sizes you actually need.
    Any named brand from Screwfix will be fine – the DeWalt stuff is nice.

I made a tube to keep drill bits in from an offcut of waste pipe and two screw-on end caps.

sadexpunk

hammy, could you link me to that please, cant see which you mean.

much as id like to be able to buy the pro stuff, its a bit better than what i need it for and wouldnt be wanting to go much above £50 really.

thanks

craigxxl
    Free Member

Bahco +1, I gave my Halfords Pro sockets away. Halfords Pro torque wrenches are very good though.
    No need for imperial and as stated above 3/8 is more useful than 1/2
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sockets-Socket-Sets/Bahco-S330-Socket-Set-Piece-Square-Drive/B0001JZRYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502701540&sr=8-1&keywords=bahco+3%2F8

Bosch drill bits seem to last much longer than others.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Can’t get into UKGS’ers to pull link down right now

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Halfords for the socket set as other have suggested. Mines been bulletproof for over 15 years now.

On drills they’re consumable items so just buy cheap. So long as they’re High Speed Steel and you have a selection for the right materials – so masonry bits as well as wood bits, then use them till they blunten and replace. I’ve got about for or 5 drill bits for every size and type because you can often get halfway thought a job when the bit bluntens so its good to have another at hand. Again I just keep an eye out for drills on offer and buy them up as and when.

sadexpunk

i think ill take the advice of the bahco sets, if only cos theyre 6 sided rather than 12, so less chance of rounding off.

with that in mind, theres a couple of options, £50 for the one linked above, 1/2″ drive and less pieces, or £33 for a set with more pieces but a mix of 1/4″ and 3/8″ drives.

gut feeling is the more expensive one with less pieces but greater range of sockets, rather than the cheaper one with a load of screwdriver bits too which arent as important. have i answered my own question? 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’d go for the cheaper one which is what I’d linked to on amazon earlier. It’s not very often you need the bigger sockets so get what you’ll use more often.

sadexpunk

sorted with the sockets ta, now looking at masonry bits. ive seen these at screwfix, which imply they do both masonry and wood, plastic etc. is this right or is it a case of jack of all trades master of none.

should i get dedicated masonry, and then dedicated wood drills for a half decent set?

cheers

porter_jamie

i have bahco 1/4″ 3/8″ and 1/2″ and i like them. i like halfords stuff too, have a set of halfords pro spanners from about 20 years ago and they are still in nearly perfect condition. i dont know if they use the same people to make them now though.

Drills, there is only one choice imo and i use many drill daily – dormer split point ti coated. they are amazing. you can get a 1mm to 13mm in 0.5mm steps for about 140 quid

rone

Not really any good at DIY but those Dewalt drill bits (from screwfix) have be the only ones to drill into masonary for me without problem.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘socket set and drill bit recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.