Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Social media feed masochism.
  • chakaping
    Free Member

You sound ugly

Wait and see what I look like.

chvck
    Free Member

To me it’s the endless drivel on FB or Twitter. I’m sure a small percentage of it’s worthwhile, but most of what I’ve seem (from my sister and another relative on FB) is just shite.

If your friends post endless drivel and shite then sure. Not sure why I’d be friends with someone who I think just talks shite all the time though…

DezB
    Free Member

globalti –
    Right, until social media democratised communications most of what we read was written by people with brains and education and at least some literacy.

Bloody good point that. It used to be so much easier to avoid the views of morons. Or, if they were a mate, shut them up with a withering look.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The best FB account was the one you never created.

aracer
    Free Member

What’s the difference? In the same way you don’t have to read every thread on here – or even every post on every thread – it’s possible to do the same on all other forms of social media.

I have a few “friends” with views different to mine. Mostly people I’ve never met who share interests and mostly in the US – ie Trumpettes. I’ve not even felt the need to block them when they’ve posted rubbish, simply blocked the more extreme websites when they’ve shared stuff from those, hence I still get exposure to different views. Most amusingly though is some of those who I do actually have the same views as, but who have lots of friends with different views, so I get to see the discussions (and occasionally chip in 😉 ). Strangely one chap I chat with appears to mostly have friends with different views – it appears he grew up in an area where most people are Trump supporters but has managed to escape that way of thinking himself.

chakaping
    Free Member

The best FB account was the one you never created.

Woah man, that’s deep.

Oh no hang on, no it’s not – it’s exactly the kind of fatuous rubbish you get on Facebook.

DezB
    Free Member

downshep

FB has provided a surprising and sharply forensic focus into the hitherto unknown and slightly barking views of many of my family and friends. Persons, who I would previously have regarded as sane, sensible, worldly wise adults, post, comment on or simply ‘like’ an astonishing array of political and religious BS that they appear to believe. Gems such as an american cousin asking everyone to ‘type amen’ to cure terminally ill children. An auntie, a retired teacher, re-posting Britain First tripe about veterans / immigrants. Normally sane friends spouting hatred and twisted stats on either side of the Scottish Independence debate, willfully ignorant of critical thinking, balance and reason. It’s quite an eye opener and I fear, far from harmless.

The lack of accountability accompanying social media commentary appears to remove any filter protecting respect and decency. Those who indulge simply become ever more emboldened by the lack of any real sanction. You think you know your friends but social media just exposes how gullible ‘normal’ people can be. Couple this with the sheer volume of utter nonsense out there and it’s no surprise we have Brexit and President Trump.

I genuinely fear for the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Social media feed masochism.’ is closed to new replies.