Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,700 total)
  • Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I think Klopp needs medicating if he thinks Lovren is good enough.

binners

He was good before he arrived at Anfield. A well trodden route for defenders

And Lindelof has only had one bad game because he never plays, so it’s pretty much his only game. As you’d expect from a 30 million quid player

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s a fair point – it does seem to be a defender’s graveyard. Not helped by dodgy keepers and no midfield protection – certainly since Mascherano and Alonso were at the club.

weeksy

Mignolet was almost as bad as Lovren yesterday. The weird thing is, both of them have exceptionally good days too. Yesterday wasn’t one for either of them !

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Mignolet will pull off great saves – all keepers do. The best make good decisions and fewer mistakes. He’s like a rabbit in headlights much of the time.

dragon
    Free Member

Mignolet is not a top class keeper, makes to many mistakes. I don’t understand why Danny Ward at Liverpool doesn’t get a run out, he was excellent on loan at Aberdeen 2 seasons ago, and then was in the Huddersfield team that got promoted last season (saved some crucial penalties in the play-offs). He also played for Wales the in the first match at the Euros, which they won.

Yet despite all that, he isn’t even 2nd choice for Liverpool, which I find bizarre.

weeksy

Mignolet is not a top class keeper, makes to many mistakes. I don’t understand why Danny Ward at Liverpool doesn’t get a run out, he was excellent on loan at Aberdeen 2 seasons ago, and then was in the Huddersfield team that got promoted last season (saved some crucial penalties in the play-offs). He also played for Wales the in the first match at the Euros, which they won.

Yet despite all that, he isn’t even 2nd choice for Liverpool, which I find bizarre.

We only get to see them quite rarely, but you’re not the first to suggest the Ward idea. But the coaches/managers see them day in day out, so it’s a reasonable assumption they see something in their choices…. However, i’d happily give Ward a try !

theotherjonv

so much more to goalkeeping than making saves. In fact, one of the key jobs is organisation, and making it hard for the other team to create chances – if you have a lot of saves to make then possibly that bit isn’t going so well

(makes me wonder with Mignolet currently, I’ll admit – can’t he organise or are Liverpool incapable of following his and the manager’s prompts)

It’s (for example) why i was always a big fan of Grobbelaar, and Pat Jennings in earlier times. The number of times they came for crosses and make catches or punches that prevented opportunities developing, but they are rarely noticed. Drop one, and you’re buried for it. Prevention rather than cure, etc. So as said, what happens on the training ground is probably far more relevant to why he keeps getting the shirt on a Saturday vs anyone else…. and when managers start leaving goalkeepers out because of only what is seen on matchday, then it’s a case of the press picking the team.

dragon
    Free Member

If Liverpool don’t think Ward is good enough then let him go.

dragon
    Free Member

No shock, but that’s Koeman sacked by Everton.

muggomagic

I’m not sure I get that. Who are they going to bring in? Some journalists tweeting that they think Moyes is in line for a return! Be good to see someone like Sean Dyche offered the job.
    I think Koeman will find himself another job quite soon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him take over at Leicester.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Left field (literally) suggestion…… Ryan Giggs?

doris5000

Be good to see someone like Sean Dyche offered the job.

I never really get this logic. Someone like Dyche (there are always other examples – people going to ‘big clubs’ like Villa or Newcastle when they’re in a spot of trouble) – he’s built a decent team that works together as a unit, is improving all the time, and could well finish above Everton this year.

I think he’d be mad to jump ship to the toffees and start having to clear up someone else’s mess. But it always happens! See also, er, Ronald Koeman 😆

muggomagic

He has done well at Burnley and a club like Everton would be the next step up. A club that could potentially challenge for top 6 and the cups. I’m not sure Everton will offer it to him as they will probably spend even more money getting someone like Mancini or LvG, which is a shame as British managers don’t seem to get offered these jobs now.

MSP

I think Mancini is a spent force now, it has all come out what a temperamental prick he really was.

I wonder who was/is in charge of Everton recruitment, was it actually Koeman? While I don’t think he has done a good job this season, he did pretty well last year, but it was the transfer window that caused a disaster.

dragon
    Free Member

While I don’t think he has done a good job this season, he did pretty well last year, but it was the transfer window that caused a disaster.

I don’t buy this argument, end of last season Everton were pretty poor also. And even if Everton can’t score because of too many No 10s then that still doesn’t excuse the vast amount of goals they’ve shipped since August. As a comparison Palace have only let in one more goal and they’ve lost 8 out of 9 games!!

muggomagic

Isn’t Steve Walsh (ex Leicester player and scout) the director of football at Everton? So assume he’s the one buying the players.
    I think their biggest issue has been blowing the Lukaku money on lots of average players. Bit like Spurs did when they sold Bale.

alanl
    Free Member

Isn’t Steve Walsh (ex Leicester player and scout) the director of football at Everton? So assume he’s the one buying the players.

No, there are 2 Steve Walsh’s. One the ex-player, the other the ‘Scout/headhunter/advisor” who did pretty well for a while at Leicester, buying good players for little money, however, he later bought some players who have not performed well, but he had left by then for Everton.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think their biggest issue has been blowing the Lukaku money on lots of average players. Bit like Spurs did when they sold Bale

they have blown it on lots of good players who ll play in the same position and they dont all fit in the team whilst not bothering to have a striker. The rumour was they had a verbal from Giroud to go that he backed out of at the last minute and they had no other options.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They also bought a decent keeper and young centre half – but have been shipping goals alarmingly. Can’t help but think he’s lost the dressing room, if we want to indulge in a bit of footy cliches.

dragon
    Free Member

I think their biggest issue has been blowing the Lukaku money on lots of average players. Bit like Spurs did when they sold Bale.

If Everton have bought anyone as good as Christian Erikson then they’ll have been doing very well indeed. Big myth that the Bale money was badly spent, sure some of it didn’t work out but Erikson, Lamella and Chadli are all decent buys. Paulinho didn’t work out but is now at Barcelona and okay the other couple were a flop, but then that happens at other clubs also, some players never fit in. Look at Veron at Man U back in the day, great player, big buy but it just never worked out for whatever reason.

muggomagic

It’s no myth, they bought 7 players with that money, (including Paulinho and Soldado) and other than Eriksen and Lamela they have all been shipped out and other than Chadli for a big loss on what they paid.
    I reckon the only other person that would consider that money well spent would be AVB 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Anyone watching the U17 semi final? Very watchable play from the England youngsters. Out brazilling Brazil. Good recent results from all the youth teams. Is the future bright?

doris5000

Very! they’ll be bought up by Citeh or Chelsea and parked on the bench at £40K a week before you know it 🙂

theotherjonv

VERY bright – what do the FA do to players once they make senior level, you don’t see passing, pace and movement like this from the senior sides?

binners

Has everyone else let it be known they’re available for the Everton managers position? It seems like most people who’ve ever kicked a ball have already done so. My agent has thrown my CV into the mix 😀

I reckon Everton will end up with a Lincoln City style brotherly dream team of Gary and Phil Neville

ElShalimo

The likes of Giggs, Neville, Alladyce etc say that they’d talk to them.
    They should get off their arse and apply for the job, not just sit there waiting for one to fall into their lap. Another symptom of the stupidity in football. Who’d employ Giggs as a Premier League manager? He’s delusional.

ransos
    Free Member

Top trolling by the toffeemen:

binners

What’s going on with the Everton away strip? It looks like what you’d end up wearing if you’d forgotten your kit for PE and had to wear whatever had been left in the changing rooms

They look like relegation fodder. They’re bloody awful! It looks like the last people who believe they can score are the players. Shambolic!

MSP

Great wins for English teams tonight, I obviously watched the ciy match, but well done the spurs.

Got to say, the intensity and pressure of the teams I watched was incredible, it was a great match to watch, but it also reminded me of Armstrong and the pirate slugging out out on the big climbs.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

City have real steel and resolve this season – Napoli away must be one of the toughest fixtures out there. Great to see Real get a doing as well. Couple more and Zidane will get the chop…….and they’ll be in for Sean Dyche Poch.

spursn17
    Free Member

I’m feeling rather happy this morning!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Who’d employ Giggs as a Premier League manager? He’s delusional.

name the last manager to work his way up from the lower leagues to a top job – I cannot name them FWIW

Zidane started at Real Madrid for example Dont think Paisley managed anywhere before pool etc

Its fair to say that UK managers have less chances than 30 years ago just like the players

binners

Fantastic performance by Spurs last night.

If they can play like that against Real (again) then could they use it to undo the hoodoo that seems to possess them against the top Premiership sides? If so, then they’re serious title contenders

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are serious contenders anyway but the problem is that its a race for second unless City start to stumble

We will get CL but nothing more

gobuchul
    Free Member

Dont think Paisley managed anywhere before pool etc

When he took over at Liverpool, they were a 2nd Division team in decline.

doris5000

name the last manager to work his way up from the lower leagues to a top job – I cannot name them FWIW

that’s quite a good question!

I’m stuck on Martin O’Neill and Sam Allardyce, who both went from non-league to premier league during the 90’s. But then they got stuck because their key skills were – arguably – getting a bunch of journeymen organised and playing above their level, which won’t win the PL. (er, just ask Leicester, ahem)

Since those two? Anyone?

The 90’s is recent, right? We’re still young, aren’t we? Guys?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

name the last manager to work his way up from the lower leagues to a top job

It all depends on whether you think this is a good thing or not, Most if not all chairmen nowadays wouldn’t dream of it as fans/shareholders always want a ‘name’.

Mourinho would be as close as you’d get, different in that he wasn’t a player as such, but worked his way up the coaching route.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you mean Shankly there not Paisley.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think you mean Shankly there not Paisley.

Aye, you’re right.

Paisley started in the lower leagues though.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,700 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread’ is closed to new replies.