Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 775 total)
  • Soccerball 2016/2017 – Jumpers For Goalposts Megathread.
  • binners

That was an absolutely cracking finish! Pity it was in to his own net!

OOPS! 😳

slimjim78
    Free Member

So Maureenho has already started slating his players. I’m beginning to think he may not even make it past the January window..

How much do you think United would have to pay to get rid of him?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m not surprised to hear him having a go at Luke Shaw – he was pretty scathing of him when he signed for Utd over Chelsea when he was Chelsea boss. Inferred he was greedy basically. Jose being a pretty good holder of grudges means he’s getting it now!

If his plan is to alienate half the squad he’s going the right way about it but it’s a bit of a gamble if he expects to be handed another couple of hundred million to replace them. I think he also believed his own ego when he took over thinking he only needed 3 or 4 players to turn them round – well he got in who he wanted and they’re still the same unbalanced squad playing stodgy, slow football with players bring played out of position. Champions League qualification looks a long shot.

slimjim78
    Free Member

agreed.
    Im not convinced his all out offensive strategy will work for him, but frankly, id rather see this squad completely shaken up/disassembled than put up with another 3 years of the same turgid beige football.

pete68
    Free Member

As a saints fan I think luke shaw has moved to a big club to early in his career. Same mistake made by Walcott, oxlade chamberlain and chambers. I think they’d all of benefited from staying out of the limelight and learning their trade for a few more years first. Unfortunately the money being dangled under their noses turns their heads. To be fair to Walcott I thunk we had to sell him due to financial problems but I don’t think it helped his career.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s a big call to remain though and resist the lure of playing in the Champions League – and the cash! From the player’s perspective it is a short career and one injury or loss of form can scupper the chances of a big move. I do think more needs to be done to compensate the clubs like Saints who bring through so many players.

dragon
    Free Member

I think Luke Shaw might be done for (at least at top flight CL level). I can’t see him ever getting back to full fitness, as it was a really bad injury and even before that he was having fitness issues. I mean the guy over his short career has had Hodgson, LvG, Pochettino and now Mourinho questioning his fitness, that can’t be a coincidence.

Rockape63
    Free Member

So no pre match comments before we duff up the auld enemy at Wembley tonight?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Big night for Scotland. Win and we’re back in the chase, lose and the game is over and BGS should be out on his arse.

Interesting line up chosen to, strikes me as a last throw of the dice rather than a concerted and well thought out plan, but you never know, it might work. England aren’t a great side, definitely beatable and we play best when we’re underdogs. That said, we’re pretty shite too, so all bets are off :p

jambalaya
    Free Member

lose and the game is over and BGS should be out on his arse.

Why ? Failing to qualify for the World Cup is the expected result (stretch target 😉 ) surely ?

Nights like these I’m glad I don’t have Sky – phew !

The FIFA poppy issue is a disgrace they should be ashamed, as per the Tweet .. FIFA have bigger issues to worry about

Northwind

Rockape63 – Member

So no pre match comments before we duff up the auld enemy at Wembley tonight?

There’s always a chance that England are going to destroy their age old footballing enemies, England

whatnobeer – Member

Interesting line up chosen too

Pretty boring tbh, it’s no 4-6-0.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Scotland are playing in PINK!! 😯

km79
    Free Member

Yes and it’s hideous.

donald
    Free Member

Looks like we’ve gone to Wembley on a hen night.

km79
    Free Member

All that way to pick up a chicken?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Good start for Scotland, awful start for England!

theotherjonv

if they’d taken chances it might be a bit different

Rockape63
    Free Member

3-0 up but were still shite and Sterling looks awful as usual.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have never been less excited over a traditionally classic encounter. When England scored I didn’t even register a murmor of celebration. I think my England is well and truly broken.

tails
    Free Member

Rose was very good as were the other spurs and pool players, defence was poor. Thought snodgrass was better than most of the scots. Ally Mcoist has much much more passion than anyone else in Wembley tonight.

dragon
    Free Member

Seems like Scotland forgot to practise defending crosses. Dismal efforts to track the runners in the box. Although I was quite impressed with some of Scotlands attacking midfield play, but they need a finisher (and to practise defending set pieces).

binners

I didn’t watch it, because it’s Friday night and life really is too short to watch Engerland, but would a fair summary be:

England were shit?
    Scotland were shitter?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I didn’t watch it, because it’s Friday any night and life really is too short to watch Engerland

FIFY

Tom-B
    Free Member

Nice to see the tradition of thuggery and violence was upheld before the match. Wonder if we’ll see the same at England’s rugby match tomorrow?

binners

I doubt it. They’ll all be regaling each other with reminiscences of happy, carefree, more innocent adolescent days, stained with the butter drips from crumpets

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I didn’t watch it, because it’s Friday night and life really is too short to watch Engerland, but would a fair summary be:

England were shit?
    Scotland were shitter?

England were average, Scotland were better than usual, but not good enough. Missed enough chances to have changed the game early on, awful defending from cross balls.

Why ? Failing to qualify for the World Cup is the expected result (stretch target ) surely ?

It’s more the manner of the failure. We should of been challenging for 2nd, instead we’re 2nd last with some pretty abject performances and results.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The squads of Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland, arguably Wales too minus Bale, are no better than Scotland’s and look at what they’ve achieved of late. Trouble is, I’m not sure who would replace Strachan.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

– Member
    The squads of Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland, arguably Wales too minus Bale, are no better than Scotland’s and look at what they’ve achieved of late. Trouble is, I’m not sure who would replace Strachan

I’m totally fed up of that argument, ‘there’s no one else’…. **** off.

There are loads of good coaches all over Europe, nor just in Scotland or rUK, and if the SFA don’t have a succession plan , then that’s where the issue is. Wales and NI have done well with youngish managers who have coached around the leagues, there’s loads of guys like that.

I’d have given Lambert a bash, but he’s in a job now. Tommy Wright would be good I reckon, as would Derek Adams.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I have the feeling that many of the best managers we either couldn’t afford or wouldn’t want the job. McLeish did a reasonably good job last time around, but we should be aiming higher. We have a solid, if not spectacular group of players. Many of them playing at a decent level in the premier league, we shouldn’t be failing to qualify time and time again 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Compared to wee Chesney, mcleish and Smith did a right good job, wee Chesneys record is as bad as vogts…..

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Wee Chesney – lol! There may be lots of good coaches around Europe and I would not be opposed to getting one if he’s the best candidate. To dirty the thread a little, and use a rugger analogy, look at what Eddie Jones has done with England. Same players, huge difference in confidence in performance and hence results. However, what decent coach would want the Scotland job? Every dismal campaign lessens the lure of the job and the fact the club game has never been more powerful surely lessens the appeal further. It’s sad but unless there is a glut of decent players somewhere coming through – and that could happen, Belgium were gash for years and look at them now, I think we’re doomed. Each qualification group gets harder as the coefficient goes down – couldn’t even qualify for the Euros when UEFA enlarged it to 24 teams 😐

jambalaya
    Free Member

@shortbread England Rugby. Quite a lot less pressure now home world cup has been and gone. Many teams in transition or just taking a breather really imo.

@whatnobeer, I should have added a smiley as I was just teasing really. However, yes agreed challenging for 2nd would have seemed possible. Iceland made the Euro SF and you can’t say they have better players.

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t think Scotland are good enough man for man, regardless of manager and certainly worse than Wales. Snodgrass, Fletcher and Brown are really the only players of quality. Scotland only have 13 players playing in the PL that must be an all time low.

PrinceJohn

Good old England – snatching an average result from what would’ve been a good one…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hard to argue with that except to say 2-2 with Spain is an above average result

nickjb
    Free Member

There wasn’t many first choice players on the field by then so hard to take much meaning from it except for individual performances

PrinceJohn

Interesting without the so called leadership of Rooney they looked much better as a team… Odd how that happens when England can’t play the players who are leaders…

binners

Well that was a bloody travesty! Arsenal deserved nothing out of that. Absolutely outplayed for 89 minutes, with not a single shot on goal, and got away with what was a stonewall penalty. But we should have put that game to bed long before they had the chance to score. They were there for the taking today

binners

Great comment from Mrs Binners watching Firmino, with his ludicrous haircut, warm up for Liverpool…

“Who the ****’s that? Bam-Bam?”

😆

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well that was a bloody travesty! Arsenal deserved nothing out of that. Absolutely outplayed for 89 minutes, with not a single shot on goal, and got away with what was a stonewall penalty. But we should have put that game to bed long before they had the chance to score. They were there for the taking today

Not quite how I saw it, although it was an odd selection from Wenger which allowed Man U to take the initiative. I was crying out for the removal of Elneny and the arrival of Giroud. Man U certainly had a great chance to take the points, but never really looked like getting two goals. As for your stonewall penalty, not even your old mate Gary Nev thought it was!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 775 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball 2016/2017 – Jumpers For Goalposts Megathread.’ is closed to new replies.