Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 775 total)
  • Soccerball 2016/2017 – Jumpers For Goalposts Megathread.
  • MSP

The referee was bottling it early on in the city barca game, barca should have had three yellows and city should have had a penalty befor barca scored. But once they did they were all over city, picking up every second ball with ease. Then when city got one back and in the last 5 mins of the half the situation was reversed, amazing what a difference a bit of belief can make.

seosamh77
    Free Member

celtic doing alright, gladbach no as good as at celtic park though, good goal they scored, though we were a bit slack defensively, 1-0 to them.

MSP

City need to just calm down a tad, Sterling could have got a second yellow then for holding onto the ball (even though he never deserved the first).

MSP

Well, what a cracking second half that was, and a deserved victory for city.

binners

That was an absolute belter of a match! Fair play to city. Barca were all over ’em first half. That must have been some half time team talk from Pep

Just as well it lived up to billing. We were going to go and watch Rammy United play Tadcaster, but decided to watch this instead. Finished 3 all.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Mesut özil I want your children

seosamh77
    Free Member

1-1 each dembele penalty.

Showing some reasonable confidence away from home, good experience. still in with a chance. something to play for in the 5th game, mibbe even 6th.

Got too fancy Gladbach to get a point though, we need a win.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quality comeback from the Gunners, capped by a wonderful goal.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep, good comeback. Good results tonight for the UK teams.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m just looking back at the predictions some of us made . 10 games in they are looking a little suspect. My favourite is Binners saying that ” Pogba has really hit the ground running and it bodes well for the future . “

I still stand by my predictions

Oh and predictions
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Utd
    Spuds
    Bournemouth to get top 10
    Relegated
    Sunderland
    Swansea
    Hull

But I would like to swap Utd for Liverpool please . Ta!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Didn’t see any of it but fine result from City. The fans must be pinching themselves, Mesi scores first and City win 3-1 against Barca

PrinceJohn

Not sure why everyone is getting carried away by the city result. Barca aren’t the force they were and if this was the proper European cup they would of lost 5-3 on aggregate…

seosamh77
    Free Member

PrinceJohn – Member
    Not sure why everyone is getting carried away by the city result. Barca aren’t the force they were and if this was the proper European cup they would of lost 5-3 on aggregate…

But it’s no the European cup, it’s 3 points.

Ye canny down play the beating of barca ffs. 😆

Cletus

Great game and atmosphere at the Etihad last night. I was only mildly pissed off to discover that my car had been broken into!

Given that we won I can say this without bitterness but I really think that the competition is corrupt. The referee was so biased it was unbelievable. I was right in line with the trip on Raheem and it was obvious. The amount of dodgy fouls Barcelona get away with is staggering and it happens in every match.

It is particularly enjoyable listening to all the sad Manyoo fans and Jose’s pet journos trying to belittle the result. It was Barca’s B team etc. etc.

Thanks Pep and the team for a great night. I cannot wait for the Celtic game 🙂

theotherjonv

But if it was the old format, Man City wouldn’t have had to chase the game in Barcelona and might have settled for 2-0. But then Barca scoring first in the replay would have meant City needed 4 goals to go through, and they’d have been ripped to shreds in the last 15 minutes going all out.

If my aunt had bollocks…..

3 points and some self-belief. Priceless.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If it was the old format the only English team in it would have been Leicester and ManU wouldn’t have won it with Fergie either.

Cletus congrats 🙂 … given you are in Machester aren’t you just glad when the car isn’t broken into 😉

binners

My favourite is Binners saying that ” Pogba has really hit the ground running and it bodes well for the future . “

We’ve established some time ago that you wouldn’t want to be putting money on my predictions 😉

At the moment we’re going to struggle to make top four, to say the least. I was watching the City game last night and thinking that if it was us playing Barca, on present form, we’d be getting walloped!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Where’s our OP Bongo these days? Has he done a runner?

I’m just looking back at the predictions some of us made

I find it amusing looking back at some of the things people say on all of the footie threads. You’re doing well so far Howsyourdad1, very impressive. My tip for the top was Man Utd, before I realised Jose’s special powers had deserted him! 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah I’m surprised at Utd , thought they would be right up there . Of course it can all change in a few games , look at Chelsea now after we destroyed them. Thing is with Utd I can’t see really what they can change ….

How long has Moyes got? Perhaps a return to Utd?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Odds on a Moyes return get shorter with every gash performance.

spud-face

That own goal was a marvellous way for Inter to lose. The dirty cheats.

Cletus

What a goal from Sow. I cannot believe how bad Manyoo are atm after spending so much.

I am almost starting to feel sorry for them 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

same as LvG lots of possession and no penetration
    Everything is always sideways and no one beats their man or even tries to take them on

we do look spectacularly ineffective still

binners

We were absolutely awful tonight. Again! I fear that watching Jose’s inevitable impending meltdown will make his departure from Chelski look dignified. It’s like he’s compressed his usual 2/3 year cycle into a few months

Their first goal was a bit special tonight though

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

We were absolutely awful tonight. I fear that watching Jose’s inevitable impending meltdown will make his departure from Chelski look dignified. It’s like he’s compressed his usual 2/3 year cycle into a few months

I’ve seen it printed that in spite of his £10m salary he’s struggling to find an apartment in Manchester and he’s more than a little unhappy that he can’t leave the Lowry Hotel, due to press invasions, for even a short walk and his family are happier in that there London.
    Ed Woodward is a 100% bona fide shit stick.

binners

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

I keep banging the drum, but it’s all boiling down to confidence issues and mental fragility.

United are playing JUST LIKE England – talking the talk, possibly even convincing themselves that they are dead good – but when it comes to the crunch they do not have the true belief that they can outpass, outmaneuver, out sprint the opposition.

Casing point, look at Luke Shaw’s performance last night (harsh, because he probably isn’t match fit)- I don’t think I saw him take a single touch. Every single ball he played was first time, and as a result he gave the ball away more than any player on the pitch.

Mourinho should be instilling belief, he should be reminding them why they were chosen to represent United at the highest tier of football, instead its these players that are literally scared of the ball.

It’s abundantly clear to me that psychology plays an enormous part in football when it comes down to such fine margins at the top. Mourinhno appears to completely lack the humility and man management skills to drag this lot back up.

Head down the road to Anfield, and you see a man manager getting vastly more out of a team that were previously under-performing. He is convincing them of how good they are and what they can achieve – and they are responding. You can taste the feel good factor there – at United the taste is sour, with a hint of rancid.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is a point to that but you also have to have the players on the pitch to deliver

i agree they are fragile but they also lack incision but they can retain poissesion whilst doing not much with it

We are very easy to sit deep against , whilst maintaining a defensive shape as we are never fast on the attack and then counter us because our defence is fragile- not least when we play wth two centre backs who are not really cente backs

i do agree that jose criticising them openly is odd- we played well but lacked some incision in the final third and were out done by two world class goals which were pretty much their only chances is a better comment, even if not wholly accurate, than saying we are shit, did not care and are mentally fragile.

they were never at fault for that first goal its just a great goal, they happen in football sometimes- same with the second one – which was never a foul he just fell over.
    Heaping yet more pressure on them – claiming they dont care and dont perform -has never done england any good and it wont do Man U any good.

Jose does not seem to be the manager he once was.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Jose does not seem to be the manager he once was

I agree with that bit.

Watch the game again, and see how terrified Shaw was when passed the ball. The lack of incisiveness you mention is evident, for me it boils down to 2 things:
    1) Lack of belief that as an individual, they are capable of making the incisive play – or moreover, fear of giving the ball away and resulting in thier potential mistake becomming the catalyst for the opposition scoring
    2) Complete lack of leadership on the pitch, leading to effectively a bunch of rabbits in opposition headlights

The first goal, albeit audacious, followed a complete lack of pressing from the full backs – a lesson that should surely have been learned following the Chelsea result?
    The 2nd goal – De Gea stepped to the right when the only place that ball could ever have passed him was to his left. He was also completely unsighted by the wall – which wasn’t even required from that distance.
    Taking away nothing from both finishes, they were almost freak goals in their execution. But United had a ridiculous amount of possession, and 1 shot on target..

I try my best not to bash managers, especially so early in their tenure – but its now 3 seasons of the same negativity. £300+ million and 3 managers later, nothing is changing.
    Fingers crossed that Jose’s class shines through after a season or so and several more transfer windows(!) – trouble is – I really cant see United finishing top 4, I think they may even struggle for top 6!
    Can the United machine withstand such a lowly league position?

The main problem is lack of Viera’s/Keanes/Scholes/Pirlo’s available for purchase, and a lack of management able to handle such a big club.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Can Jose get them out of this? I don’t think he can and it’s just a matter of time before Utd are looking for a new manager

martinhutch

Jose does not seem to be the manager he once was.

This must have hurt, even just a little bit…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOr2krArexI[/video]

binners

Can Jose get them out of this? I don’t think he can and it’s just a matter of time before Utd are looking for a new manager

i think we might see a proper toys out of the pram, mega-flounce pretty imminently. He doesn’t look like he’s got a clue how to change things. The team is going backwards, and looking less confident every game. An Jose slagging them in public is hardly going to help

United had a ridiculous amount of possession, and 1 shot on target

A depressingly familiar scenario, that hasn’t changed much under Jose. i can’t even be bothered shouting at the telly any more. I just play a pre-recorded message that says “Oh FFS!!! Will somebody just ****ing hit it?!!!!!”. Its like they’re all terrified of shooting. Or even attempting it.

I’m off to watch Burnley tomorrow, as it’ll likely be more entertaining, attacking football, and better for my blood pressure 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve been watching Brighton at the Amex – and have started to remember what it’s like to enjoy watching football again!

i think we might see a proper toys out of the pram, mega-flounce pretty imminently

I hate to agree – I said weeks ago that his demeanour since day one has been negative, and it hasn’t changed. Its a countdown to the flounce.

Junkyard
    Free Member

. The team is going backwards, and looking less confident every game. An Jose slagging them in public is hardly going to help

Indeed

I think we all expect a toys out the pram moment but it seems like some are pressing him to encourage it

slimjim78
    Free Member

For £10m per year, you could press me as much as you want. I would be a 24/7 media charming machine.

binners

Maybe with all those nights alone in a big Hotel, he’ll go……

HEEEEEEERES JOSE!!!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes Boro! Oh Bournemouth 🙁

bloodynora
    Free Member

We are top of the league say we are top of the league! Its absolutey brilliant and pisstaking-tastic that manyoo are shite and their gloryhunting shit stained fans are suffering at the mo…. long may it continue!

matt_bl
    Free Member

We are top of the league say we are top of the league! Its absolutey brilliant and pisstaking-tastic that manyoo are shite and their gloryhunting shit stained fans are suffering at the mo…. long may it continue!

Really? Could you have not just stuck with a great win and being top of the league? Obviously not, we have to have the puerile tribalism which says far more about you than your intended target.

binners

I can’t for the life of me work out why Chelski fans, and the club generally, are so disliked, and have such an unpleasant reputation. Can you?

Well I had a fantastic day at Burnley yesterday. Brilliant game! 2 up in 12 minutes, Palace got 2 back in the second half, then Burnley grabbed a 93rd minute winner and the place went nuts!

I know plenty of disillusioned people (myself included) have mentioned going seeing local, smaller clubs.We’ve been to watch Ramsbottom United of late, and its good fun.

But yesterday I had the pleasure of being a guest at Turf Moor of one of the local social enterprise organisations which have strong links with the very community-minded club. I’ve worked with them before and Burnley has always come across as a really professional, well run set up.

We did the ground tour before the match, and Sam Vokes and Tom Heaton were sat having a brew, and happily chatted away to us, and posed for photos with the kids. They then wandered down the touchline chatting to the fans who’d turned up early. A bit of a contrast to Old Trafford, to say the least. Great atmosphere before and during the game. Really enjoyable!

All in all it kind of restored my faith in premiership football a bit, in the fact that it didn’t seem like the idea you have of premiership football.

Anyway, back to today and watching a bunch of overpaid prima donnas, who don’t look like they’re enjoying their football one little bit, while the Scowling One paces the touchline, with a face like a smacked arse, shouting at the ref. Hey ho!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 775 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball 2016/2017 – Jumpers For Goalposts Megathread.’ is closed to new replies.