Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Sober October ?
  • iainc

I did this a year or 2 back before going for some unpleasant surgery in the November. Not for charity or anything, just for myself. I often do the same in January.

Decided to try it again from tonight 🙂 Not a huge consumer, couple of bottles of wine a week max, or a few drams, so won’t miss it too much, more the habit on a non-school nite 🙂

Anyone else ? seems a fair lot of folk at work are talking about it, in between bake-off cake overloads…..

wwaswas

Not a huge consumer, couple of bottles of wine a week max

drinkaware say that’s more than the ‘safe’ limit so *fairly* huge 😉

Good luck with the abstinence 🙂

iainc

^^^ yeah, maybe 18-20 units a week, so more than ideal I guess !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cdoc
    Free Member

I would, but it might be cheating since I have had a sober January through September so far..

In fact, I can count on my fingers how many times that I have had a drink since 2010. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

scaredypants

sober october; dry july

December – can’t remember 😆

Cougar

I’m thinking of using “stoptober” to stop swearing (well, restrict it to PG-certificate swearing). I’ve been trying to think of alternatives, all I’ve managed so far is “farage.”

Kryton57

Arse ****. I’ve just done Sober September so am now enjoying a post-work cold Moretti.

October – pah, sobriety is old news…

eddie11
    Free Member

Screw that it’s cross season. I’ll definitely need drink come Sunday night. Ask me again when it’s warm an sunny.

bearnecessities

I’m thinking of using “stoptober” to stop swearing (well, restrict it to PG-certificate swearing). I’ve been trying to think of alternatives, all I’ve managed so far is “farage.”

“Sh..ugarplums”
    “Fu..gdesickle”
    “Coc..hlear implants”

bigblackshed

I think “farage” does cover a fair few choice Anglo-Saxonisms. I think you maybe on to something.

pondo

I’ve just done Sober September so am now enjoying a post-work cold Moretti.

Well, I don’t think you HAVE done a Sober September. At least, not quite. 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

I can’t drink alcohol any more so I doubt anyone would sponsor me!

Kryton57

Well, I don’t think you HAVE done a Sober September. At least, not quite.

Technically, but the resulting hangover and bacon/coffee cure needs to happen before my Sunday ride.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, as mentioned it’s Cross Season.

It’s in the rules to have tequila hand ups.

crewlie

Just about to open the Friday night bottle of wine, and now I feel guilty…

but not that guilty 🙂

Seriously, more keen to keep on reducing the weekly units for the whole year (which have crept up a bit since stopping work) rather than the odd month.

corroded
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll be doing it. I’ve just had a sober September too and reckon I may as well continue through October and November. Lots of reasons why: health, losing the beginning of a beer belly (until 40 I was always a whippet, no matter what I ate or drank. No longer apparently) before some winter racing, and just to see what happened really.
    Observations: I have dropped a few pounds but my consumption of cheese and chocolate has rocketed. I feel fantastic, more bouncy and alert and sanctimonious. But my social life is suffering, hence being on here now….

iainc

On my ‘last supper’ now; a tasty Rioja and some cheese 😀

Kryton57

Yeah, I’ll be doing it. I’ve just had a sober September too and reckon I may as well continue through October and November. Lots of reasons why: health, losing the beginning of a beer belly (until 40 I was always a whippet, no matter what I ate or drank. No longer apparently) before some winter racing, and just to see what happened really.
    Observations: I have dropped a few pounds but my consumption of cheese and chocolate has rocketed. I feel fantastic, more bouncy and alert and sanctimonious. But my social life is suffering, hence being on here now….

I’ve lost 3lbs. But, I’ve had “fake” hangovers, and havent been able to wake up or be any nmore spritely or energetic.

Cougar
    iainc

Hah, didn’t realise I’d posted the same thing a year ago ! Must’ve been pished 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

get stuffed.

RustySpanner

Cougar
    ……I’ve been trying to think of alternatives, all I’ve managed so far is “farage.”

Clegg.
    As in, ‘That dirty mare from number 12 hasn’t cleaned up after her dog again.
    I’ve got clegg all over me Vans….’

iainc

Day 3, a doddle so far. Bit odd not having a couple glasses of red on a Sunday night though !

maccruiskeen

Must’ve been pished

Save that for ‘Can’t-Remember-November’

jekkyl

Co-op are doing 4 pint cans of stella for a fiver!
    Since they are charging £4.50 for 4x440ml cans this discount has increased my alcohol consumption.

ads678

4 pint cans of stella, they’d just go warm before you’d finished them surely?!?

CountZero

Seeing as how I never drink enough to be considered drunk, ‘sober October’ is meaningless, so I’ll continue drinking the small amount that I do at the moment.
    To do otherwise would be just tokenism.

Not a huge consumer, couple of bottles of wine a week max

drinkaware say that’s more than the ‘safe’ limit so *fairly* huge
    Finger-wagging nanny-knows-best bollocks. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

I haven’t had any for a couple of weeks and thats quite unusual for me but dont feel the need so should last through October.

funkmasterp

I’ve only had three drinks in the last three years and all of those were a fortnight ago when I got married. Also have a full beard so can’t do the Movember thing either. There should be alternatives like fresh faced February or juiced up June where bearded men shave and sober people get absolutely ruined for the month respectively 🙂

Kryton57

What coiuntzero says. After having a voluntary break from booze in September, I’ve decided I enjoy a decent short before bedtime and false crutch or not, its a method to help me wind down and my only vice.

I can self police the potential of overdoing it – hangovers at work, weight gain via mass pints of beer (not capable of this anyway really) or pre-race detrimental consumption, so I don’t see why in balance I can’t enjoy one of the simple pleasures in left as and when I want to.

mahalo

does this mean zero alcohol, or just not getting spannered?

id like cut back for a month, but im not denying myself the odd pint if we go to a nice pub on a sunday afternoon for a meal or after a walk…

if thats the case then ive already failed.

jimster01

IIRC it’s zero alcohol, and you send some of your savings to Macmillan…

I had good intentions of doing this, however we were away until the Monday, and then HER mother kicked off….

I’m going for the rest of the month now. 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, strangely enjoying it so far, though I did fancy a pint last night.

Seems a good way to reset drinking habits and hoping I might shift a kilo or two.

iainc

IIRC it’s zero alcohol, and you send some of your savings to Macmillan…

iainc – Member
    I did this a year or 2 back before going for some unpleasant surgery in the November. Not for charity or anything, just for myself. I often do the same in January.

some people do it for Charity, infact I think that was where the idea came from. I’m not as I can’t see the charity angle on it really. (I did help raise just under £5000 in the summer for Prostate Cancer UK but that’s another story 🙂 )

binners

id like cut back for a month, but im not denying myself the odd pint if we go to a nice pub on a sunday afternoon for a meal or after a walk…

We’re doing it but not going for complete abstinence, just cutting down. Got a mates birthday on Saturday so we’ll have a few then. But we’ve said we’re not going to drink in the house, so no wine with meals, which usually entails finishing the bottle, and no nipping to the pub for post a couple of cheeky post-work pints, which we’re both partial to doing.

Seems a good way to reset drinking habits and hoping I might shift a kilo or two.

thats exactly how we’re looking at it chapaking

jimster01

Seems a good way to reset drinking habits

My thoughts entirely, I’m aiming to be dry for the whole month, shift a few pounds and save a few quid. The boss is hoping to follow my lead….

No pressure then

iainc

^^^^ pretty much same way as I am looking at it 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I gave up drinking entirely for about 6 months when trying for kids and shifted exactly no weight whatsoever. I think this was because I replaced the cheeky beers with snacks.

jimster01

I gave up drinking entirely for about 6 months when trying for kids and shifted exactly no weight whatsoever. I think this was because I replaced the cheeky beers with snacks.

Got to keep your strength up eh? 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Got to keep your strength up eh?

Yeah, jerking into an eggcup really took it out of me (IVF)

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Sober October ?’ is closed to new replies.