Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • So…before I take a hacksaw to my brand new on one
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve had a brand new steel 456 in the cupboard for a while now, and just got round to building it up as my winter bike…

Anyway, theres no 2 ways around it, its to big…looks like a gate, I can barely stand over it (about a centimeter clearance) and its got a silly long toptube. Having said that, given it was cheap, I can’t really be arsed with the hassle of selling it, and I can’t send it back, I’m thinking of persevering with a super short stem to see how it rides.

The big issue is however that I was planning to fit a dropper post but due to the 3 inches of seattube extending past the tob tube I fear this will be impossible. Not only that, but it looks a bit shit given how little the post sticks out the frame (vain I know). So my question is…Whats stopping me from just taking a hacksaw to the top 2 inches of the seattube. I see know reason why I couldn’t, but thought I’d ask the experts before I bash on..

Unless of course someone out there has a 16 inch version they’d like to trade me!

higgo
    Free Member

How will lopping a couple of inches off the seat-tube change the “silly long” top-tube?

I’ve had a steel 456 and have now got a carbon one, so I like the dimensions. But if you don’t, you won’t fix it by cutting it.

Sell it now and buy something else.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Sell it,Get the right one.

You know it makes sense

cp

How tall are you? I’d seriously consider trying to find a 16″ before you attack yours. You might as well get on the right size frame rather than bodging your way onto something too big.

tpbiker
    Free Member

well the main issue is the lack of fitting a dropper…so that would be sorted.

You are correct, i should get the 16 inch, but a they don’t have any in stock ..

will stick a ‘swap’ on the classifieds..

boxelder

You`d also need to cut a slot to clamp the post, which I predict will fail.
    Can’t see how selling will be more hassle than frame diy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

ok ok..i get the point!

its a terrible idea 🙁

have placed on classifieds. Thanks for stopping me doing something daft!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘So…before I take a hacksaw to my brand new on one’ is closed to new replies.