Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Soar, Devon. What to do without the bike?
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I have a wedding to go to at the end of September. Staying in Soar, and never having been to the area before just wondering if anyone knew of anything that is worth doing? No bike, so waking and the like will be on the menu. Going to be there for possible 4 days…..not looking forward to the 5hr drive, tho.

Cheers.

ferrals
    Free Member

Great and spectacular coastpath along that stretch so plenty of walking oppurtunity.

Overpriced shops in Salcombe if that’s you bag.

Great beach at Bantham although its unspoilt charm is being steadily destroyed by the new owner (and if you thought Salcombe was overpriced, wait till you see beach mats being sold out of a faux-gypsy-caravan at Bantham for £75 a pop).

If you surf, can be good waves there too, if you dont and want to try you can get lessons, but I’d strongly advise going to Discovery Surf School on the Bigbury side of the river rather than the one actually at Bantham.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Cheers, mate. Got a knackered shoulder at the mo, so surfing might be out. Looks like lots walking along the coast then.

Might give the hipster mats a miss 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

Oh and Soar Mill is a nice beach, but I’d personally be less keen on swimming there unless sea is calm

qwerty
    Free Member

Fish for we mackerel and then bbq on the beach. Loveley area.
    Tor Cross for fish & chips in the pub.
    Not sure if the Kingsbridge ferry is running then, but nice estuary views from it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We had a week in Challaborough last spring, I managed to escape with the road bike on day and rode from Bovey Tracey to Tavistock and back, across the moor and very nice it was too.

Cletus

If you are taking kids then crabbing at Salcombe is good fun (if the tide is in).

Just actually back from a week at Hope Cove which is practically on the doorstep.

There are some nice walks along the coast. You could also try sea kayaking if your shoulder improves.

I did not take the road bike and did not regret it as there are lots of narrow, busy roads.

brassneck

Bantham surfing +1 – love that beach but haven’t been since it was bought (not a protest, just coincidence). Nice to swim, paddle, SUP whatever in too.

Walk to Overbecks (NT) would be nice from the cliff top carpark – you can then drop into Salcombe, but I wouldn’t bother.

CountZero

There’s a good walk from Beesands along the coast path through Hallsands and the ruined village to Start Point, maybe including a visit to the lighthouse, or carrying on around the point to Lannacombe, then stopping off in East Prawle for a pint in the Pig’s Nose, then you can make your way back across country to pick up the lane that leads down to Lannacombe up to the crossroads at Hollowcombe, down the lane back into Hallsands and then back into Beesands and more beer and top-notch food in the Cricket Inn in Beesands. Altogether around a nine-mile walk, and you’ll need a good meal when you’re done!
    I’ve walked it when I stayed at the Cricket, and from Beesands along to East Prawle then retracing the route along the coast path, which is a bit easier, and easier to follow as well.
    It’s also possible to walk along the beach from Beesands to Torcross, then along the beach to the war memorial, and back up over the cliff path to Beesands, but you must pay very close attention to the tide-times, there is a very narrow window of opportunity to get around Limpet Rocks at the Torcross end of the beach, roughly ten minutes, and there’s quite a scramble over the rocks in any case!
    I’ve done it a few times, but it can be a bit hairy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Soar, Devon. What to do without the bike?’ is closed to new replies.