Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Soap box derby kart.
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

Please delete if not allowed. I’m entering a soap box Derby and going to try and raise some cash for charity.

Any advice or help welcome.

I’m fancying building with what I know which is bike parts so I’m appealing to you lot for old shocks and 20mm axle disk front hubs (36 hole) and axles as I need 4 of each and need to keep costs as low as possible

Thanks guys. Any help appreciated.

eskay

The karts on red bull soapbox that have bike wheels rarely do well!

nigew
    Free Member

The karts on red bull soapbox that have bike wheels rarely do well!
    +1
    See if you can find a cheap/ non running kids quad, the wheels from that will be stronger than bike wheels and will have some kind of brake.
    Take the nobbles off with a grinder too if you wanna go faster 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

What tyres for smashing into a hay bale at 35mph?

mtbmaff
    Free Member

The wheel barrow wheels that aldi sell for a tenner are great on a kart.

wiggles
    Free Member

Bmx wheels, get yourself 2 bmxs and a welder, jog done 😉

zanelad
    Free Member

Each year they hold a soap box derby on the field at the end of my garden. The winners have always been using decent quality bike wheels. Not 700 ones, but smaller. A lot of thought and good engineering goes into the more successful creations.

juanghia
    Free Member

BMX or Brompton sized wheels and straight guage spokes is where I’d be heading, there were two shitbox BMX frames in our local tip the other day perfect set up for RedBull soap box style…and weld in a camber to the wheels too

tjagain

A bunch of mates of mine set up one of these races – the border bogie challenge.

What they found is if you want a fast cart you need a wide front axle with really exaggerated camber like 20 degrees, some toe in and a narrower back axle with no camber.

demonracer

I acquired a shopping trolley from the local supermarket that rebranding today, I plan on using some scrap I have in the garage plus some wheels (yet to be decided) to build a soapbox for the local race this year.

mechanicaldope

Apparently pit bike wheels are the way to go.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Good advice.
    Thinking bmx rims. Setup very similar to tj s suggestion. I’ve got hope 6 pots for the front and Magura hs33 for the backs if I can’t get enough disc hubs.

Maxxis hookworms appear to be the tyre of choice for hitting a hay bale at 35 mph

matt_outandabout

I saw one kart that was two matching bike frames and forks, welded with cross members at head, seatpost, bottom bracket and rear axle. Driver sat on seat on BB cross member….Same forks, discs etc…

Edit: this

havinalaff
    Free Member

I’m thinking a bit ore high tech than the two bike style

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Soap box derby kart.’ is closed to new replies.