Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • So, you've got a week in New Zealand…
  • Kit
    Free Member

…what do you do?

(In August, by the way, thanks 😉 )

chojin
    Free Member

A week.

A WEEK?! I hope it’s part of a bigger trip!

I’d hit up Queenstown, hire an AM bike and get a gondola pass. Some great trails in the mountains there.

athgray
    Free Member

You need a lot more than a week. I would probably agree with chojin. Queenstown.

mefty
    Free Member

Isn’t August in their winter, sticking to the North Island may make sense as the weather further south could be pretty grim. Wait for the locals to post.

chojin
    Free Member

Oh yus, their winter – good shout.

In which case there’s some great skiing to be had near Queenstown

jasperb
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

rotorurra from what I here

Brainflex

First question is where abouts are you flying into? Second is, alone or family? Third is what do you want to do? so many options.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Conference?

seadog101

Buy a brolly! 😉

If it’s only a week, and you’re starting in Auckland head up to Northland and the Bay of Islands. Lovely up there and not so cold/miserable.

Getting about is not quick by road, and flying is pricey, trains – err no. So best to base yourself somewhere and make the most of it. Also the skiing can be a bit hit and miss, so with only a week, don’t bank on it.

jimmy

I thought it was Utah? ‘Kin stewdents / ‘environmentalists’ flying all round the world… Hope you’re offsetting all this shenanigans, young man

ontor
    Free Member

The inland pack track just south of greymouth.

mrmo
    Free Member

If your in Auckland, either have a mooch round auckland and explore the islands by ferry or head north Pahia, Russell, Bay of Islands, etc.

NZCol

Where are you flying into ? What do you want to see ? August is winter mind so your reply will help me provide some advice !

perthmtb
    Free Member

That time of year, and with just a week, I’d head down to Queenstown for some skiing – its a seriously lively place in the ski season…

Kit
    Free Member

Hi thanks for the replies. I daftly posted this before going away for the week or I’d have answered sooner…

I’ll be on my own. Not interested in biking or skiing, particularly (will have been off bike a year, can barely ski), and have nothing booked/planned.

Would be flying from Australia, and probably at the beginning of September. I know 1 week is not much, but I don’t know what I can afford yet! Hoping for 2 weeks but will see what my budget is. Just fishing for ideas…

And jimmy, Utah will be on the way home 😉

nicko74

Find a Kiwi girl and make yourself at home? 😉

NZCol

Well if you end up in Wgtn give me a shout – I can offer a tour and a few good beers, optional bike ride.

knarlyoldgit
    Free Member

Call in on my son in NZ Shread in SHotover st. in QT and spend some money as Jon is a cool dude. He will show you the best trails in QT.

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Take a couple of your shorter, slimmer friends hidden in your luggage.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Climb up the Franz Joseph glacier, (or take the helicopter!)
    Eat lots of mussels accompanied by some decent local wine.
    We went diving there with manta rays and that was in my ‘top ten best ever’…. I think it was near the White Isle which is an active volcano, which we also visited.

Philby

My only suggestion would be to avoid trying to seeing too much of the country as you could spend much of the week on a coach / train / ferry – a mistake I made.

brack
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with the hauraki trail tbh

We did it in January this year.. Great ride but hardly a must do.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘So, you've got a week in New Zealand…’ is closed to new replies.