Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So youve been flooded out, what happens next
  • project
    Free Member

As the this forum is the font of all knowledge,some hypothetical questions,youre flooded, your car is flooded, how long to get a pay out from your insurance for a replacement vehicle, secondly your home is flooded who arranges builders and pays for materials labour, client or insurance co,Thirdly your work place is flooded out so you cant work, is the company responsible for paying your wages if no work, make you redundant or just tell you no money tough cookies.

Then theere are those with no insurance due to cost, or just havent renewed, 90% of those flooded in Salford where not insured according to a local housing group.

matt_outandabout

You.
    Argue with insurers.
    Months at earliest for house.
    A week for car.

sparkyrhino

Watch them insurers squirm and turn,heard a few horror stories in last few days,while working getting Comms up and running in leeds city.A few places gone bust very sad,or having to go through small claims court to get anything at all.

binners

I’m not even bothering trying to claim for my car that was officially written off this morning with a **** flood damaged engine. Bangernomics and all that. Even though I loved it! How much am I going to get for a t reg Golf GTI?

As the company I’m presently working for are unlikely to want to advertise the (not very easily replaceable) stock that’s now all been destroyed in 3 flooded warehouses, as a freelancer I’m expecting the work I had lined up for the next 2 months to end tomorrow instead.

But I’ve seen a picture of Dave taking a brief break from the South East by being pictured in his prole wellies (definitely not Hunters!) and I feel reassured that everything is going to be just fine!

Happy new year!!!!

😥

Sandwich

I’ll have whatever Binners is smoking/taking.

footflaps

So youve been flooded out, what happens next

You get a visit from Cameron in cheap wellies who then returns to London and cuts your flood defence funding as he objects to public money being spent on peasants.

project
    Free Member

another question sudenly raises its head , wheere are all those affected going to find the trades to re furbish their homes,plasterers, joiners and sparkies along with gas fitters etc, and if they do where are we going to live while work is being done.

eddie11
    Free Member

another question sudenly raises its head , wheere are all those affected going to find the trades to re furbish their homes,plasterers, joiners and sparkies along with gas fitters etc, and if they do where are we going to live while work is being done.

that’s the problem, it’ll take months because there are will only be so many trades available. a lot the work will be complex too like that scottish castle on the other thread. where do you stay? caravan, family, b&b rental depending on your insurance/depth of your pockets. its meant to take about 6 months average i think to get back in to a house but I’ve seen a lot of businesses here swill the place out and carry on trading in partly knackered buildings. that or go bust i guess.

breadcrumb

My old workplace was flooded in the 2005 Carlisle floods. The companies insurance paid our wages.

Thankfully never had any other floods.

bearnecessities

Project, you don’t half post some happy stuff sometimes. Hypothetically of course 🙂

project
    Free Member

Thousands are probably facing these questions as we ask, and working in the building trade, a lot more questions need to be asked about funding etc.

geoffj

Thousands are probably facing these questions as we ask, and working in the building trade, a lot more questions need to be asked about funding etc.

I suspect many tradespeople in the north of England are currently rubbing their hands with glee.
    Insurance companies will have SLAs with some firms, but I’d imagine that most will be able to charge a decent premium.

All those with planned works – extensions, renovations etc. outwith the flood area are likely to suffer as the trades head to the gold.

Not a good situation.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was offered the choice of appointing my own or using their approved contractors, I’ll probably appoint my own kitchen fitter, but I’ll let them sort the buildings side. Chem-dry man came within a couple of days, assessor came on Saturday (1 week), They’ve bunged £1000 into my account to ‘see me thru’, going to see a property tomorrow to rent for a few months whilst they take my house apart. Don’t seem to be any quibbles about my contents claim and I’ve no receipts for anything.

eddie11
    Free Member

good to hear that B.A.Nana good luck

project
    Free Member

good news B.A. NANA

lapierrelady

Talking to a colleague flooded out of their house in York, it will be 6 months before they will be back in. Pretty grim stuff really, but they were all happy to have escaped safely.

Xylene
    Free Member

What happens to house insurance the next time you renew?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks for kind words and I’m certainly positive about it. My concern is future insurance cost of my buildings and contents despite no previous history of flooding (as per Quirrel). It’s all hunky dory right now bar the upheaval, new kitchen, plastering, skimming and skirting boards throughout the ground floor, everything insurance paid for. I’m tagging on new central heating and one or two other bits that kind of make sense, but will be at my cost. Things I’d planned long term, but this event has forced my hand just in terms of what’s sensible to get done. On a plus, looks like my insurance will agree to me taking a very nice 3 month house rent in the Yorkshire Dales (close to work), just need to make sure I take max advantage of it, running, biking and walking.

robdob
    Free Member

B.A.nana – what normally happens is that the Env Agency will (already started actually) be assessing the extent of the flooding this time and will update the information with regards to flood warning areas and historical flood maps if required. The insurance companies might change their fees for particular houses if they have been affected, but thats up to them, not the EA. It’ll take a while to update the maps but I reckon if you’ve had a flood the renewal might be a fair bit more money….. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A lot of people I know were flooded in Cumbria in the previous floods.

Insurance companies turned up, fleets of insurance assessors got going. People who were insured were quickly given the go ahead for alternate accommodation allowance so went into rented as best they could. Lots of holiday homes turned into proper rentals.

The assessors/claims people got round them fast as they could and got stuck in, the quicker they get you back in your home the quicker they stop paying out for other stuff. Most were back in within 12 months and apart from the loss of things that couldn’t be replaced seemed happy with the outcomes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So youve been flooded out, what happens next’ is closed to new replies.