Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So you like riding steep stuff, eh?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Fancy a crack at this?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BOsplFujIqK/?taken-by=mearsofmoab

What a nutbag – and done on a standard Orbea Rallon.

PS. Can we have functionality to embed Insta posts please STW? Or just give us a HTML mode for the reply box?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve ridden that on my road bike, tyres at 120psi, saddle all the way up.

nedrapier

It’d be interesting to know how steep it is. From that angle, it seems almost vertical, but he’s able to brake all the way down, so it’s probably no steeper than a steep set of steps. Except less bumpy. 8)

globalti
    Free Member

Mountains always look steeper from in front but yes, it is steep.

What’s all the twaddle in the comments? It’s meaningless.

MSP

I think that there is a fair old optical illusion going on there, still probably silly steep but as above he was too controlled for the apparent gradient.

allthegear
    Free Member

pfft – just like McMoab…

😉 Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

Any way of finding out where that is specifically? Do videos have location metadata?

Andy-R

Yes, it would be interesting to see from a side view, as a head on view (and a long shot, at that) will always make it look steeper.
    Undoubtably still very steep though and I wouldn’t be attempting it even though I generally like steep stuff.

jam-bo

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not that steep at the top (*) as he is holding the bike to a very low speed on the brakes and only increases speed from half way down

*clearly I would not be riding that

Stevet1
    Free Member

I like riding steep stuff, especially when there’s a vertical section and you float through the air for a while weightless. There used to be a drop in down the side of Nantmawr quarry that was pretty steep, back when it used to host the goldrun race.

postierich
    Free Member

maybe a bit of camera trickery!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QiG4CW]11188348_10153191908919831_3707518032908634413_n-2[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

I watch it and think there must be some kind of optical illusion and the slope isn’t as close to vertical as it looks.

But looking at it again and seeing that shadow from the outcrop on the left – I think it might be steeper than I thought.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not to detract from the balls and courage to take it on, he’s clearly able to control his speed all the way down so it is not vertical, there is a definite slope to it or he’d be falling at a much faster rate – basically free falling. I would guess if you average the slope of the edge to the right of him (his left) then that is probably what it is roughly like. Still chuffing steep. I just can’t imaging what goes through these peoples heads to think they can take something like that on. I guess you start small and incrementally go bigger and each increment doesn’t seem too bad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So you like riding steep stuff, eh?’ is closed to new replies.