Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So you know all those little holes in the tubes of your frame..
  • chives
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering if I should tape (or similar) over the vent holes in my (new to me) Soul frame, before unleashing it on the trails/seafront commute..

I know the holes are primarily there to allow the frame to be flooded with inert gas during the welding process (and prevent pressure build up) but is it worth covering them up, or will that lead to condensation build up (and rusting) anyway?

I was shocked by how much grit I found in the BB shell of my old frame, which could only have got in through the vent holes.

Thoughts on this anyone?

properbikeco
    Free Member

do a waxoil or dinitrol treatment first and then leave it open

meehaja
    Free Member

they’re for pushing cigs into, so you can take your seat out on the trail in a puff of smoke surely?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I was shocked by how much grit I found in the BB shell of my old frame, which could only have got in through the vent holes.

Or down from the seatpost?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t see why not, handmade brazed frames are usualy sealed up once they’re finished.

Drill another under the BB as a drain if you’re worried.

KonaTC

So you know all those little holes in the tubes of your frame.

Something to have a look at to-night when I get home

Mmmm

Maybe not 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Can’t see why not, handmade brazed frames are usualy sealed up once they’re finished.

Yup, I fill them in afterwards. Stuff in BB shells can get in a bunch of ways – down the seat tube, in the bottle bosses, corrosion off the BB itself, or crud working through the seals of the BB (depending on type).

chives
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ll pop a bit of ‘copter tape over them I reckon.

nickc

By all means fill it with waxoil or tape up the holes, but youdo know it’ll mostly make no difference at all to the longevity of your frame, right?

plyphon
    Free Member

Rust is honestly a complete non-issue when it comes to frame lifespan.

IHN

What nickc says. Unless you’ve REALLY got nothing else to do and you’re REALLY bored, then save yourself the bother.

MoreCashThanDash

I find the holes in the chainstays of my Soul are great for tipping the water out the frame after washing/downpours/floods etc …..

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-174.html

“seafront commute”
    best of luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So you know all those little holes in the tubes of your frame..’ is closed to new replies.