Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • So yesterday I went to a physio about my neck. . .
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’ve suffered with neck problems for some time and have been convinced it is the cause of some massive headaches I get.

Last year one of these headaches landed me in hospital. I was diagnosed with viral meningitis but this wasn’t confirmed as I declined the lumbar puncture.

I was convinced it was my neck and the Dr said if I was still suffering neck pain I should get an mri. My gp said he couldn’t refer me I had to have physio first.

Well no offence to any of the first. Contact physios in Sheffield but I really wasn’t up to trusting my neck to the lottery of their referral system.

So as it seemed to be easing a bit I waited – but it never really got better. So I asked my GP who he would trust his neck to for such and examination

I saw the chap he recommended yesterday – he took the history and did a very gentle examination. Then stopped and said he wouldn’t do anything else until he had seen and MRI scan. As he has real concerns I have damage in my upper cervical vertebrae that may be compromising my internal carotid artery

Hmmm anyone else had such a problem – and if so what did they do to fix it?

itsallgood

Hi – In your specific case, no idea… But I’d get an MRI so the doc/Physio can work from an informed position. I got one about 2yrs back on a neck problem, which then allowed them to say yep, it’s buggered, but we can do this to fix it.

I went private and paid, mri done and results that morning.
    D

globalti
    Free Member

You’re suffering symptoms in the most important part of your body but you don’t trust anybody medically qualified to do a proper diagnosis and would rather ask a bunch of muppets on a cycling forum?

*shakes head in bemusement*

Tiger6791

shakes head in bemusement*

That’s just showing off!!

The OP has said she’s got neck problems but rather than help all you can do is tell how good your neck is and ‘shake your head’

Sometimes this forum represents everything i hate about humanity!!

oldnpastit

Get an MRI.

My brother-in-law had ongoing neck aches which he ascribed to poor lifting technique. I tripped him up (by accident) which made it worse; he went to the doc who sent him for an MRI where they found he had cancer.

Two years on and he’s still alive but it’s not easy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Every silver lining and all that.

Kryton57

Hi – In your specific case, no idea… But I’d get an MRI so the doc/Physio can work from an informed position. I got one about 2yrs back on a neck problem, which then allowed them to say yep, it’s buggered, but we can do this to fix it.
    I went private and paid, mri done and results that morning.
    D

This. Cracked an upper vertebra at 6yo and I’m left with a slight stoop. Since then I’ve cracked my coccyx in half and shattered my right shoulder. As I speak to you I’m being treated for knots & spasm in my left Trap caused by vibrations when riding symptomatic of my skeletal and muscular battering if the past, and was yesterday banned from riding >6h per ride to avoid inflammation and potentially face 6-12 months off the bike if that lower volume doesn’t help it repair. It got so bad I couldn’t hold the ‘bars with my left hand.

Get it looked at, my issues are relatively low order but it could be much worse for you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of a diagnosis for a similar issue. Woke up one morning around Christmas with a stiff neck on the right side, as you do sometimes. After a couple of months of it not going away and starting to get pain and stiffness elsewhere, hips and back, I went for 6 physio sessions. Physio said the neck pain was ‘referred pain’ but I wasn’t convinced and it hasn’t improved after the sessions.

Went on holiday to postugal for a week at the end of june and literally could not lift my head off the pillow in the mornings. Got some strong anti-inflammatory pills from the pharmacist and that kind of eased the stiffness.

Made an appointment with the gp when I got back, who referred me to a consultant. Had an appointment yesterday and after a few tests he says it’s definitely neck related and could be a worn disc. Anyway MRI next week then we should know what the issue is.

Really hope you get it sorted though, the saying ‘pain in the neck’ to describe something that’s extremely annoying is true.

Edit: I have BUPA through my employer, had I been going NHS gp advised it would be a 4 month wait to see a consultant, then a further wait for an MRI scan.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

[Quote]globalti – Member
    You’re suffering symptoms in the most important part of your body but you don’t trust anybody medically qualified to do a proper diagnosis and would rather ask a bunch of muppets on a cycling forum?
    *shakes head in bemusement*[/quote]

As I said in November I was told it was viral meningitis and sent home, the hospital said I should have a scan but the gp would only offer physio.

Now I’m no expert but when you feel there is something very wrong in your neck trusting it to someone too manipulate is a big thing. Hence why I shyed away from the option of going to a physio through the nhs booking system. There are some bits of my body I am a bit precious about – my neck is one of them.

I wasn’t asking STW for a diagnosis I was asking if anyone else had had some kind of vascular compromise issue in their neck and asking how it was treated.

Apologies if my post wasn’t clear

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Anyway I wasn’t asking the muppets on here – surely they don’t get neck pain – it would be wrist pain for them 😀

Thanks Tiger you made me laugh 🙂

GaryM – I can recommend indometacin I’m sure it’s the only thing that’s kept me functioning during all of this

Kryton57

As I said in November I was told it was viral meningitis and sent home.

Theres a coincidence – my greatest period of non cycling neck / shoulder pain was diagnosed as the same – about 6 months ago.

Chew
    Free Member

Dont worry, we’ll just tape you up…….it’ll be reet

adjustablewench
    Free Member

That’ll be me on the bb200 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks adjustablewench, I’m on naproxen at the moment as prescribed by the gp.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Oreet Ione, Question? is your neck problem from an old injury or owt? T

adjustablewench
    Free Member

The MRI should give the answer. Everything I have seen anyone about it I mentioned and accident I had 24 years ago when I went over the bars when I was 8 months pregnant. At the time the focus was on the baby (he was fine) and despite my best efforts no one really looked at my neck.

It seems calmed down but over the last 8 years has got worse and worse. You kind of lose the will to keep pushing for answers when people don’t seem to take it seriously.

I think half the problem is come hell or high water I will find a way to carry on as normal. Mainly because as a single mum with loads of kids I don’t have much choice, and also because of the fact that laying down or being stationary for any length of time it hurts more.

Anyway moanimg over with – the physio has just rang me to say he is faxing his report to my gp explaining I have red flag symptoms – hopefully something will happen now 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

adjustablewench – Member
    Anyway I wasn’t asking the muppets on here – surely they don’t get neck pain – it would be wrist pain for them

Too much mouse use or too much 5 knuckle shuffle? :mrgreen:

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Ha ha – always a wrong-un aren’t you Hammy. I was actually referring to general puppet anatomy – that their neck is actually someone’s wrist 😉

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Too much mouse use or too much 5 knuckle shuffle?

Both I’d imagine. Climax being reached when they press send on a particularly witty retort about the OP’s spelling.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m having physio for a torn rotator cuff and damage to my neck. I’ve already had an MRI – back in Jan – and I know I have two bulged discs.

When I had the MRI the radiographer said “you’ve got two bulged discs but your fracture looks to be nice and stable” which was a bit of a surprise as I wasn’t aware I’d fractured my neck!

I’d get an MRI if at all possible.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Hopefully should get sorted soon – the physio has noted red flag symptoms so that should expedite the appointment

adjustablewench
    Free Member

So a week later MRI done, went home thinking – can’t be that bad they let me go home…
    Only to be called back in for admission.

So cord compression at C6, and dissection in my carotid artery. Currently on a stroke ward as I’m at risk

I’ve had better tuesdays

tjagain

Just having read the OP I thought – high stroke risk. good job they caught it before you had one.

ONly one way from here – getting better.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve had better tuesdays

I’m really sorry to hear that but last Tuesday you had the condition, undiagnosed and not under medical supervision. Today it has been diagnosed and you are under medical supervision, you are obviously now in a much better place than you were then.

I have no doubt that it must be quite devastating and scary news, but seriously, try to focus on how now you can receive the care and medical supervision which you so clearly needed. I hope you can look at it in this positive light, even though I’m sure it must be very hard.

I hope you get sorted quickly, and keep us updated 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Hope it goes well – as ernie says, you’re now getting it sorted, which has to be a good thing. Your future Tuesdays are all likely to be a lot better as a result.

Sandwich

Having seen An Hour To Save Your Life last night, catching a carotid dissection before major brain trauma is a good call. Get well soon.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’ve had better tuesdays

I know you’re kind of joking, but I’d wager this is probably one of your better Tuesday.

The bad ones being when you had a stroke.

Good luck on the treatment.

hora
    Free Member

Agree with Sandwich. Hope all is good 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP well done for getting an appointment and MRI done. The NHS will now pay attention given the results and so you should be in good hands. Keep us posted and our thoughts are with you

My wife has a serious neck problem due to a fairly high speed wakeboard crash a few yeas ago so we can appreciate the concerns

shermer75
    Free Member

Good work by the Physio in catching that one!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I did wonder how he’d managed to feel that, but today the neurosurgeon said the swelling caused by the blood flow issue had been noted by the physio… but yes very pleased he felt it

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You owe the Physio a pint when you’re all mended 😉

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well done physio and also GP for recommending the physio.
    Doesn’t fill me with confidence as I’m at GP next Tuesday about my neck. Been getting moderate to severe pain in my neck plus headaches dizziness and weakness in my arm. Tender when pushed on low bit of my neck. I did fall off my mtb in March and landed head first and lay there for a few minutes thinking this hurts. Never bothered with A&E just deep heat and Codeine 30mg eased it.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Having seen An Hour To Save Your Life last night, catching a carotid dissection before major brain trauma is a good call. Get well soon.

Just watching that on catch up now. I’d say the OP, assuming everything goes to plan, is very lucky compared to that Julian.

I hate all those ‘makes you think’ type thoughts, but the guy was just riding along, and the next thing…

Poor sod 🙁

Edit: Oh, and how are you doing, OP?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Don’t doubt that I realise how lucky I am to be fit and well despite everything that is happening.

Yes I have pain and headaches and they are bad – but no they aren’t SCI or stroke and I hope it stays that way 🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

So what they doing? Just breaking down the risk of clots or going in to operate?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Currently on blood thinners for the foreseeable future. And seeing the neurosurgeons to work out the plan – there was talk of operating on the spine immediately but I am coping quite well without too many symptoms. The stroke risk was deemed higher so they gave my the blood thinners first.

Neurosurgeons will be doing more images to see how the bones are when I move and then decide what proceedure to do.

No one has mentioned a conservative/non surgical fix yet

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Neck update – for those who may be interested.

Saw the neurosurgeon today. I will be having a c6/c7 anterior discetomy and fusion. It will leave me with 3 vertebrae fused though as it turns out I have a Kleippel feil deformity of c5/c6 and they have always been fused

Hopefully beginning of October then 6 weeks of work . . . No work.and no bikes I will go insane

CountZero

Hopefully beginning of October then 6 weeks of work . . . No work.and no bikes I will go insane

That, at least, is unlikely to kill you!
    I’d say you’ve been remarkably lucky to catch things before they could have resulted in a very real tragedy for yourself and your kids and larger family.
    The expression ‘dodged a bullet’ has a real, if metaphorical meaning here, I feel!
    Catch up on lots of reading, music, whatever, and relish the fact you have a future to look forward to.
    Really, the very, very best of luck, hope everything goes well.
    🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Glad you’re in good hands now! As countzero said, all the best! Six weeks off the bike is better than being dead, or worse, locked in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘So yesterday I went to a physio about my neck. . .’ is closed to new replies.