Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • so why wont I try riding my bike
  • anagallis_arvensis

After two hip ops and 2 years without riding the physio said I could try the turbo for a bit and build up to riding on the road if all goes well. That was on monday and I still cant seem to do it.

Northwind

With me it was pure fear that I wouldn't be able to do it- it was better to put off than to try it and fail, which sounds stupid now I say it but I'm sure that was what it was. That was motorbike not pushbike but the exact same principle and the same, well, need to ride- I couldn't think of anything else up til I got the allclear but afterwards I took any excuse not to ride.

I was also wary of reinjuring myself, especially when I got back into mountain biking, but then I thought "This is what hips are for, if I don't use it why did I bother getting it fixed"

In the end, my first ride back was terrifying and completely, totally ****. But it got better… Good luck!

anagallis_arvensis

With me it was pure fear that I wouldn't be able to do it- it was better to put off than to try it and fail, which sounds stupid now I say it

Doesnt sound stupid to me unfortunately!!

"This is what hips are for, if I don't use it why did I bother getting it fixed"

Indeed knackered hips or heart attack…….

Northwind

I'm not going to give you advice, frankly my whole head was a disaster area at the time and so what worked for me might not work for the rational, but it did feel like the sort of problem that doesn't get better if you just leave it.

I could go for inspirational if you like… My broken hip is the reason i ride mountain bikes. Weird but it seems to work, I'd stopped entirely years before and only got back into riding for recovery. So I went from already absolute rock bottom fitness and skill from a 5 year gap, then through surgery, disability and recovery, and only then did I think "I'd like to ride bikes again". Can't really recommend it as a course of action though.

ourmaninthenorth

Set up bike.
    Set up bike in turbo.

Just leave it there, ansd don't try to ride it.

Leave your shoes next to your bike.
    Make yourself an iTunes playlist.

Have another look at the bike.

Sit on the bike.
    Stay there for 2 minutes.
    Get off.

Have another look at the bike.

Put on shoes.
    Get on bike.
    Clip in.

See how you go from there.

Good on you for going through the two ops. Now use those hips..!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘so why wont I try riding my bike’ is closed to new replies.