Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • So whose kids are off school on Tuesday?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Whats the crack this time then? Pensions and pay?
    We will of course be putting a claim in against the school for child care costs 😉

Drac

Not mine.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Both ours and at different schools.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Same council?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes. Would that matter? Surely its up to the individual teachers to decide whether to strike?

Simon

Look on the bright side, roads will be quieter so getting to work will be easier.

colournoise

Just to save you all a tiny little bit of tar from your brushes, we are open as usual on Tuesday.

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon Wrightson’s kids are pulling of an elaborate scam to skive off school.

iolo
    Free Member

They never seem to strike during the summer holidays, half term or any other time off . It would make it easier no?

anagallis_arvensis

The dates are spread depending on region. I will be striking in a few weeks darn sarf if that helps anyone have a quicker commute.

headfirst
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, roads will be quieter so getting to work will be easier going for a road ride with my mate who is also striking will be more pleasant.

FTFme 🙂

Seriously though, we are not striking because we want more, we just want to hang on to what we’ve got, rather than let that COTHO Gove tear us, as a whole profession, a new arsehole.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not heard anything.

I’d pop up to the picket line and give them my support if they were striking though.

aracer
    Free Member

School is open, but no after school club, so I’ll have less time to browse on STW do the housework. I can’t believe they’re being so unfair to me.

jekkyl

Teachers need to realise how lucky they are with all that holiday & government backed pensions. Maybe spend some time with someone who is self employed who get absolutely bugger all.

anagallis_arvensis

Plenty of jobs available for science teachers if you want to retrain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe you, jekkyl, also need to spend some time with teachers. If teaching is so cushty why don’t you do it?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I wasn’t fussed either way but the mrs has just mentioned a letter we received last week urging parents to get their children to log on to the learning portal thingy whilst off school, as we’ve just had an inset day Friday and then strike Tuesday I think that’s a bit of a piss take!

glupton1976
    Free Member

COTHO

I like that a lot.

iolo
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Plenty of jobs available for science teachers if you want to retrain.

How many holidays does a teacher actually get as part of their contract?
    What’s the starting salary?
    What kind of pension is offered?
    I really would be interested in retraining.
    I’ve had enough of working private sector jobs. 80 hours, 25 days holiday and a pension you would laugh at if I told you.
    Also, being in the private sector means the company you work for can cease trading(this has happened 3 times to me).
    Where do I apply for these teacher jobs?

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a teacher training website, country specific, google for it.

You do get 13 weeks off I think, less a bit for holiday work time, but when you are working you work hard. Teachers I know work 3 or more hours in the evenings, which is probably familiar to some public sector jobs, but the biggest difference I’m told is that during the day it is flat out all the time. You can’t stop for a chat, stare into space for 5 mins, go for a coffee, nip to the shop etc. Constant go, your attention is demanded all the time. This is one thing that puts me off, because I need to be able to slack off between bouts of intense work.

MoreCashThanDash

My youngest is off – her teacher is the only one taking action, her brother and the rest of the classes will be in.

Ordinarily I’d be grumpy about using up a days leave when my schedule is a bit more hectic than usual, but it turns out there is a meeting on Tuesday that I was desperate to avoid – every cloud and all that 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

We will of course be putting a claim in against the school for child care costs

Has anyone had success doing this? I’ve seen the one on FB where the parent fines the school for unauthorised absence…

jag61

+1 Molgrips well said sir
    mrs g been sent out shopping to get a break from marking and preparing lessons, added up shes done about 100 hrs this week and for the last few weeks thats how easy it is. As her ‘academy’ likes to demoralise the staff as a management tool. So please sign up for it there are sure to be a lot of jobs about as COTHOG destroys the system for everyones children.
    There,… feeling better now sorry if ive upset anyone
    Mrs g now back from Aldi but couldnt walk past the middle Aisle, new winter cycle jacket now back to our marking and prep 😥

anagallis_arvensis

How many holidays does a teacher actually get as part of their contract?
    What’s the starting salary?
    What kind of pension is offered?
    I really would be interested in retraining.
    I’ve had enough of working private sector jobs. 80 hours, 25 days holiday and a pension you would laugh at if I told you.
    Also, being in the private sector means the company you work for can cease trading(this has happened 3 times to me).
    Where do I apply for these teacher jobs?

You can view teaching jobs at TESjobs.com
    starting salary is about 21k I think. You’d have to look up whats going on with the pension I’m lost I do know I’m paying a lot more and have to wait till 68 to get it.
    Be careful though the drop out rates for trained teachers in the first five years are shocking.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

The holiday one is a bit of a myth; we don’t get 13 weeks, we get 4, the rest is all unpaid leave. I’m not complaining, it really is the best bit of the job and the pay is decent (this may be revised when performance related pay is introduced) and covers not working for 9 weeks a year. The job is tough though, particularly if you work in a ‘rough’ school. I ended up turning Educating Yorkshire off because it was like a bus man’s holiday and if I wanted to watch those kind of kids getting into trouble I’d, er, go to work!

CaptJon
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    Teachers need to realise how lucky they are with all that holiday & government backed pensions. Maybe spend some time with someone who is self employed who get absolutely bugger all.

I’m an academic but in the same pension scheme as many teachers (TPS). There is no pension pot in this scheme, the money goes to the Treasury based on the promise we’ll get our money when we retire. In the meantime, however, TPS contributions have increased and we’re essentially paying more income tax than others in our pay bracket so Osborne can claim to be reducing the deficit faster.

joepose
    Free Member

We received a text stating “your child should be learing at home on Tuesday” as in its not a holiday.
    The cheek of it! Dont hear of many teachers leaving the profession cause it just doesnt pay do you?

Drac

“your child should be learing at home on Tuesday”

I take it their teacher is hot?

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

Erm, you hear of loads of teachers leaving because it’s simply not worth it. I know of two this year from our place, very good graduates, teach first scheme etc. but just couldn’t hack it. The pay is decent if you can do the job and not go quietly gaga.

anagallis_arvensis

The cheek of it! Dont hear of many teachers leaving the profession cause it just doesnt pay do you?

Yes loads although mostly its workload and stress but I reckon more would stck at it if the starting salary was 49k!!!

Drac

I know one who left and went to do a magazine or something. Wonder what became of that?

joepose
    Free Member

Same for any profession – peaople leave for stress. Try being a social worker or doing a tour of duty!
    Poor teachers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Teaching has a pretty high incidence of stress related problems, like some other professions. High stress from chasing big money is one thing, but putting that much stress on the people who are educating kids is scandalous.

Teaching SHOULD be well paid and easy. It should be one of the most attractive high prestige jobs, because it is one of the most important and it needs to attract the best people.

Clink

Try being a social worker

I’m a teacher though it increasingly feels like I am a social worker. 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

The issue isn’t what teachers get or how tough their job is, it’s whether the government should be able to take money from them.

You may have a rubbish job with low pay and no pension. Doesn’t mean everyone else has to – especially the people we trust to educate and care for our children.

nealglover
    Free Member

My better half is a teacher, she spends plenty of time with someone who is self employed. Me.

I work 14 hrs/day most Weekdays and 8 most Saturdays.

No holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension. Etc.

I wouldn’t swap with her for double my salary, I couldn’t cope with the stress and the workload to be perfectly honest.

And I don’t know how she does it.

anagallis_arvensis

Try being a social worker or doing a tour of duty!

have you done either and have you tried being a teacher?

project
    Free Member

I know one who left and went to do a magazine or something. Wonder what became of that?

Yep met him as well, he just rides bikes nowadays and writes about them, but that wil never catch on…

tizzzzle
    Free Member

For me the worst thing about being a teacher isn’t the pay, pensions or even the workload. It’s the pr1ck$ who, without fail, every time there is a discussion about teaching can’t help themselves make a snide comment about how easy we’ve all got it ‘with all those holidays’.

Nice to know you’re appreciated

Anyway – looking forward to my ride on Tuesday 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘So whose kids are off school on Tuesday?’ is closed to new replies.