• This topic has 62 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • so, who's watching Grand Designs?
  • IHN

I predict it’s going to challenge the one with the castle where the wall fell over for expensive incidents…

Jamie
    Free Member

*cough*

I think this one will deserve a thread of its own

I think you’re right.

IHN

I think this one will deserve a thread of its own 🙂

Andy

Well its November 2013 at the moment so not even at the big floods at the start of the year yet 😀

Harris
    Free Member

I’ve just switched it on and a dumper truck is being dragged out of the river. Should be good.

boxelder

I think this one will deserve a thread of its own

Nettle infested site is it?

IHN

Here we go…

IHN

They’ll have a good fishpond, if nothing else

Andy

he he 😀

andyl
    Free Member

bridge parts dropped of telehandler
    Price up £60k
    digger dropped in river
    Price up another £60k
    Ditched the original contractor (good riddance)
    New contractors look much better
    Whole island under water

When will it end?

You could have a really nice house somewhere that doesnt flood for £1.2M.

Harris
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOB2PsR_lPA[/video]

souldrummer
    Free Member

I would have dumped the original contractor straight away. If he couldn’t even off load the bridge without incident it would have rung alarm bells. The new lot seem diametrically opposed to the first one; I would love to know how they chose such different firms.

IHN

Here we go (again)…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The farmer has made a tidy profit!

bruneep

Services, how do they work with the up n down?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh, and how will all the drainage work?

IHN

40k for a bit of field? Farmer Palmer must be laughing his cock off

jamj1974

It’s a cool idea though!

IHN

Fair dos, that’s pretty smart.

IHN

What happens when it floods and those risers get all bunged up with flotsam and silt?

househusband

Lots of astrotsurf as a lawn…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gorgeous location, well done. As bruneep says, services?

Jamie
    Free Member

Was the astroturf just for the cameras?

househusband

Was the astroturf just for the cameras?

No – it was just for YOU!

Jamie
    Free Member

I ****ing knew it!

LenHankie

Why not just build it on stilts?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Stilts are fixed height which probably would contravene some knd of building reg on height.

Where was it? Looked like near marlow. I missed the beginning.

jamj1974

I hate it when you don’t see the finished article though…

chambord
    Free Member

I thought it looked like a pangolin.

Jamie
    Free Member

I hate it when you don’t see the finished article though…

I imagine there will be a revisited show next year. I do hope there is, as I want to see how it copes with another flood.

househusband

I imagine there will be a revisited show next year.

Yup – she’ll be a Mother or at least pregnant…

andyl
    Free Member

House looked great.

tbh I would have just built it a big higher with maybe a middle floor entrance and completely waterproof lower level. I would have liked info on the services too, I guess you could have flexible/telescopic waste and and some kind of coiled water and electricity and it’s probably not on mains gas.

the field thing was ridiculous. Pretty sure that field was not worth £40k over the time they used it unless the farmer had a penalty on a contract he could not meet which I doubt. More like pay me £700/month to use the field and I won’t object to any planning issues.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Where was it? Looked like near marlow. I missed the beginning.

Was downstream from Hurley, just outside Marlow..

CountZero

This was a first for the UK, but I belive its been done in Europe. I wouldnt have the foggiest about services, to be able to cope with up to 12′ of height difference implies huge flexibility.
    Funnily enough, I’ve often though about being able to build a house where there are known flood issues, and I sort of imagined something like this, where the house sits in a sort of tank, with guides of some sort, but I couldn’t ‘see’ the details; the dolphins are pretty obvious when you see them like that.
    I guess the timber ‘bearings’ are oak, to be able to withstand constant saturation.
    I loved the zinc scales on the outside, and it really did seem to fit into the rest of the local houses.
    This would be the answer for people living on the Somerset Levels, and up around Tewksbury too.
    Obviously far too expensive for regular housing, but anyone with money looking to develop a plot where flooding has been an issue it would be ideal, and without the access issues, too.
    Lovely house, I’d happily live there.

tbh I would have just built it a big higher with maybe a middle floor entrance and completely waterproof lower level. I would have liked info on the services too, I guess you could have flexible/telescopic waste and and some kind of coiled water and electricity and it’s probably not on mains gas.

Wasn’t the height limited to that of the surrounding houses?
    Which was why using the lower basement area for a TV room, study, and such was an advantage, being down inside the tank, allowing more space for the living and sleeping spaces where the view can be enjoyed.
    Good thought re: services, gas probably isn’t available anyway, as it’s an island.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Awesome, did think what would happen if the water in the tank froze, not likely but it would be in the back of my mind.

zippykona

Their house won’t flood but how happy is she going to be going off to swanky parties in a pair of waders?
    None of these grand designs houses have any privacy. The whole world will now be chugging past in their boats to have a look while he sits on the end of his bed scratching his balls.
    Stunning house though.

matt_outandabout

She didn’t get pregnant. Kevin’s losing his touch.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I couldn’t help wondering who they get in & out when it’s floating

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

None of these grand designs houses have any privacy

Pretty sure, almost all, the people who want to be on grand designs, want to show off. Privacy would be a massive hindrance to that!

Klunk
    Free Member

think it was this house, my guess is that it’s going straight on the market once they’ve lived in it for 6 months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘so, who's watching Grand Designs?’ is closed to new replies.