Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So, who's having tripe today?
  • frankconway

It’s World Tripe Day, apparently.
    Think I’ll pass this year; maybe next year……
    Any recipes I should consider for future reference?

anagallis_arvensis

My dog likes it!

alexpalacefan

Had some Polish tripe stuff in a can a few years ago.
    Dirty! Main flavour was salt, with notes of gristle. Texture, chewy.

Threw the second portion away. It solidified when it hit the water and blocked the toilet!

APF

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Tripe, popular in the 1960s just like diptheria.

kayla1
    Free Member

Get in the **** sea.

Scapegoat

I’ve just spent a happy half hour thawing out a 3lb block of tripe and portioning it into 100g portions. Mixed with minced whole chicken, or beef and offal, it makes a tasty and nutritious dinner. I use green tripe, unwashed and still with the contents included as that way the greens can be digested, utilising the enzymes also present in the meal.

khani
    Free Member

I’d rather chew on an elderly donkeys balls! in fact if they sell tripe in Tesco that’s probably what you’d be doing…

slowoldman

Well I’ve never tried it. My dad pretty much grew up on the stuff and as a result wouldn’t have it in the house. I understand that properly prepared it’s quite a delicacy though.

CountZero

Eeewwwws!
    Had home-made lasagne for lunch, and home-made apple crumble with custard for tea, though.

slowoldman

Are you sure those layers of pasta weren’t actually sheets of tripe?

allfankledup

Travelled to Geneva a couple of years ago and had to hunt for somewhere affordable for an evening meal.

Ended up in a French restaurant on the edge of the red light district. In the interest of eating something from the menu that I would typically refuse, I ordered andouillette. French trip sausages . Very very nice.

Bit of a trip for a sausage supper to be fair

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just like brussel sprouts ..its something that will never ever pass my lips ..

mucker

My mum used to make it regularly when I was a kid in the 60’s/70’s. Bowl each of tripe and onions and a bowl of boiled tatties in the middle of the table to share. I used to love it, lovely smooth texture on one side and Terry toweling on the other with a yeilding rubbery bite.
    Have you seen what they have to do to prepare it, not for the faint hearted.

km79
    Free Member

Every day is tripe day on STW.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I ordered andouillette. French trip sausages . Very very nice.

That’s not tripe.

Tripe comes from the stomach. Andouillette is made from chitterlings. Which is the lower intestine. Basically the arsehole.

I’ve tasted it once, it was vile. Tripe is absolutely delicious in comparison.

Disease can be spread by chitterlings not cleaned properly and undercooked. Pathogens include E. coli, Yersinia enterocolitica, and Salmonella.[12] Chitterlings are often soaked and rinsed thoroughly in several different cycles of cool water, and repeatedly picked clean by hand, removing extra fat, undigested food, and specks of feces. They may then be turned inside out, cleaned and boiled, sometimes in baking soda and/or salt, and the water discarded.

mogrim

Fairly popular traditional dish in Madrid, made with tomato, chorizo, morcilla etc. Mrs. mogrim likes it, but then I suppose she’s used to dealing with tripe 😀

darrell
    Free Member

Used to be able to get tripe on toast at the old cafe at Bolton train station

way back in the day

was okay with loads of vinegar on it

nickc

Every day is tripe day on STW.

made me lol

slowoldman

Disease can be spread by chitterlings not cleaned properly and undercooked

They should put the beast on a 2 day Picolax diet before slaughter.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So, who's having tripe today?’ is closed to new replies.