Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So who's got to do the "Christmas food shopping" ?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Wife’s out for a works do tonight and it would appear I’ve been left with the responsibility of getting the Christmas dinner shopping done tomorrow! If sainsburys was anything to go on at 8.15 this morning when I nipped in, it ain’t going to be fun!!!

jam-bo

I’d go at about 1am

squiff
    Free Member

Went to Asda about 2.30pm today, pretty quite but blow £200 😯 :evil:on food and booze 😀

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Asda, 2hrs and £200 🙁

Edit: Snap!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I no longer want to go!

garage-dweller

My wife is going after some manicuring or something pamper related later this evening.

Pretty much a regular food shop for us but with more sprouts. Mince pies already in stock.

Don’t really drink so that’ll save a few bob and only one Christmas day visitor to contend with.

Coyote
    Free Member

Booze run tomorrow and I’m good. <smug>

Pieface

No shopping here, just several hours of driving to visit relatives around the country and avoiding flooded roads….

Harry_the_Spider

Did ours today at 5pm. Tesco quiet. £135 blown.

MoreCashThanDash

The only advantage to going to the in laws for Christmas is that they have to do the shop

JRTG
    Free Member

Was quiet at 5pm today. Wasn’t shopping just getting a coffee as we have already done it!

kuman
    Free Member

I’m going tonight at midnight, not brave enough to go tomorrow.

crazy-legs

In my A-level days, I did shelf stacking at Sainsbury’s for a few months, I remember working at Christmas Eve. The shop was supposed to shut at 6pm and there were customers literally fighting over the last few turkeys in the chest freezers. Shop looked like a bomb had hit.

Just mental.

jamiep
    Free Member

Just spent £60, but i only came away with booze, cheese and filo pastry. I need to go again

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s at Ripley open at 6am tomorrow Wrightyson. See you there 😉

Will be done and dusted by 8am, then off for a quick swim, before baking Xmas biscuits with wifey (aaaah) then a quick run before beer with friends in the evening.

Sorted.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Morrisons in belper for me as we’ve apparently got a 30 quid discount token of some kind, no doubt there’ll be a queue to cash that fooker in!

Drac

Mrs is going in the morn.

I bought the beer and some port today. Errmmm! About £100 or more there. 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Mixture of Tesco and Sainsbury’s deliveries. Last one on the 23rd.

£12 off each as a new customer….ahem.

marsdenman
    Free Member

<smugmode>
    pick up ‘suggested Christmas veg list’ from local veg shop / deli. Return list with addendum’s – adding lemon and lime for the gin. Add cheeseboard request – give them the budget, let them pick. All to be collected from them tomorrow at 1.That’s PM 😉
    Manager of local ‘greasy spoon’ pops in to my humble showroom ‘do you want a ham, same as last year?’ me ‘yes please’. Ham collected today, at cost price 🙂
    Wine sorted a couple of weeks ago, from the local independent purveyor thereof.
    Gin + Port to be picked up tomorrow, from another local merchant.
    Turkey leg – bargain from the local butcher – already in the freezer.
    Just need to pick up some pigs and blankets (tomorrow, local butcher) and we’re pretty much set.
    </smugmode>
    Seriously though, so lucky we live in a great spot and there is just the 2 of us to think of 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Just got to pop to Majestic Wines in the morning, missus and daughters are doing the rest

mtbfix

Did it on Thursday so just a few last minute oddments to pick up closer the time. Paid the bulk of it with Nectar points so the whole shop cost me £1.09.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it on Xmas eve. Butcher’s for the meaty stuff, farm shop for the veg & Morrisons for the bits & pieces. & luckily they’re all within walking distance.

grantway
    Free Member

Blimey done it all this morning in 1 hr all food from starters/main course/dessert and evening food
    including food for Boxing day eve including all wines/port etc brilliant

trail_rat
    Free Member

Going to stay with parents 😉

Going out for xmas dinner with mrs-trs family

Bought biscuits , cheese board , alcohol and tins o juice for any visitors we recieve last week.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m going to my sister’s and my only responsibility is alcohol. I like it that way so even though I went on a Christmas cookery day at Bettys and have a cake and pudding from that I don’t want to set a precedent so I’m not taking them 🙂

Got some Bailey’s from the petrol station tonight (worth any premium to avoid Tesco) so tomorrow the only bit left is to stop by the brewery to pick up the beer

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just the fresh fruit and veg to do but it won’t be fun 🙁

As for expense, you guys have no idea. It’s the first time I have invited people (eight) around for Christmas so we had to buy a dining table and chairs before we even started on the food and drink!

Mrs STR working tomorrow, so said I’d do it – making a break from the norm of buying a load of extravagent food we wouldn’t normally eat (and usually spends Christmas going off in the fridge) and doing a normal shop plus turkey and a bit more booze, so should be quite easy.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I do but I literally have £20 to my name and don’t get paid until the end of the month so humbug.!

Jamie
    Free Member

Mrs STR working tomorrow, so said I’d do it – making a break from the norm of buying a load of extravagent food we wouldn’t normally eat (and usually spends Christmas going off in the fridge) and doing a normal shop plus turkey and a bit more booze, so should be quite easy.

Sounds like the shopping equivalent of beige, TAFKASTR.

WTF Jamie?

Jamie
    Free Member

The joy of Christmas is buying load of inappropriate food that risks the threat of Type 2 Diabetes at every calorie rammed bite.

You’re shopping too sensibly/boring.

GO BUY CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHICKENS!

…or some of these which I have been eating this week.

No Jamie, I’m just not buying a load of crap food that I wouldn’t normally eat, so this year feel no need to buy it just ‘cos it’s Christmas. Might still get the odd bag of nuts, nice pork pie, and some cheeses, but just not going ott because of the time of year.

Jamie
    Free Member

Fair enough.

*sucks marzipan out of a stollen with a straw*

Bregante

This year we are all uprooting ourselves and driving all the way to Kent for 5 days which is still moderately more preferable to doing the Christmas shopping.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from doing ours.

I didn’t buy anything inappropriate…apart from Christmas pudding and brandy sauce and some socks. I did however go a bit mad with buying enough of the usual stuff to do us till sometime in mid-January.

And a multibuy on flipping nappies and wipes. Because Jesus knows, I’ll be getting through a fair few of those.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Breggie, Kent might be a bit of a culture* shock for a Manc like you.

* in that it has some 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

Kent has culture? Is there a new Kent I don’t know about? 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

And a multibuy on flipping nappies and wipes. Because Jesus knows, I’ll be getting through a fair few of those

Sorry to hear of your incontinence 🙂

Edit to add, nice reference to the baby Jesus, very seasonal. Merry Christmas!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tru dat.

It’s all relative to where Breggie’s at really. Even Peterborough has culture compared to Breggie-land. 🙂

RB, with the amount of alcohol I bought, I might be using them as pads. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

dd – hope your little boy is doing well and the rest of the family too. 🙂 Don’t bother with baby wipes, save yourself some money and use cotton wool soaked with warm water. Less chance of a sore botty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So who's got to do the "Christmas food shopping" ?’ is closed to new replies.