Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • So, who's gonna win the TDF 2011 then?
  • lunge

It was a huge ride from AS yesterday, but, the way Cuddles pretty much pulled the gap back on his own deserves huge credit. My thought is of the 4 GC contenders (AS, FS, TV, CA) all but FS had a very hard day yesterday for different reasons which in theory means they will not be good for a big attack today.

So, FS for the stage win today, the other 3 to basically sit and watch each other. I think Sanchez may have a crack today but it would have to be soemthing huge for him to be back in contention.

So, Cuddles to win, FS 2nd as I think AS will be blow after yesterday, AS 3rd as whilst he is blown from yesterday, TV is even worse.

lunge

And does anyone else think that CE needs a good domestique like Pierre Rolland to help him? It would have made his day yesterday so much easier.

Klunk
    Free Member

Nothing will happen on Galibier from the GC contenders. The huge DH then flat would wipe any gains out.

did you not watch yesterday ?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Too close to call between Evans and Andy S I reckon. I don’t think Evans is going to do him in the TT by that much of a margin, and he probably ended up giving it about the same effort as AS yesterday when he pulled the gap back.

Frank might be lurking and could do something, and I reckon Voeckler had his last hurrah yesterday.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I wasn’t much of an Evans fan before this tour but I’ve been very impressed by him so far and still have him as favourite to win.

It was a hugely impressive ride from AS yesterday, but he’s still an odious turd of a man. I was also very surprised to see that level of performance from him given it was only a few days ago that he cracked on a category 2 climb. Obviously the rest day since must have done him some good…

It’ll be interested to see how Voeckler gets on today but he looked properly broken at the end of that stage yesterday. I’d love to see him on the podium but can’t really see it happening.

FS has to attack today if he wants to have a chance of winning himself.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Yes. I did. Its not the same I think. Just don’t think any GCers will attack on it. Others (AC, SS maybe)

There was very little flat yesterday. There is a reasonably significant flat before ADH which is normally very windy.

atlaz
    Free Member

AS time trial abilities are crap. Look at his final TT last year.

If you look at the 4 individual TTs in the last two tours, he’s been within 30s of Cadel at each (apart from the final one last year where he was 5m ahead but that was cadel’s problem not andy getting great). So if Andy goes into the TT with his minute on Cadel intact, my money is on Luxembourg, not Australia.

RHSno2
    Free Member

It was a hugely impressive ride from AS yesterday, but he’s still an odious turd of a man. I was also very surprised to see that level of performance from him given it was only a few days ago that he cracked on a category 2 climb. Obviously the rest day since must have done him some good…

Jesus, its a 3 week marathon. People come and go with form and feeling of energy. It is possible for people who don’t dope to feel shit one day and have a rest day and recover.

clubber
    Free Member

1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 79:34:06
    2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:00:15
    3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:08
    4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:12

Who knows. Seriously, how good is that! Two days left and one of four (probably three really) riders could win and we really won’t know who until the end of the TT unless someone (AC?) really goes on the rampage today or all the three other contenders have a really bad day today

RHSno2
    Free Member

p.s. I HOPE people attack on the Galibier, just don’t think they will

aracer
    Free Member

did you not watch yesterday ?

Did you not read the bit about the huge downhill and flat? Descent of the Izoard yesterday 17km, with the next climb starting almost straight after. Descent of the Galibier today 36km, with another 10km before Alpe d’Huez starts.

Klunk
    Free Member

yeah but look at the scales of those two profiles

scaredypants

is that a giant “huck to carpark” at about 90km today ? – cool

TV for the 360 with flip win on that

aracer
    Free Member

one of four (probably three really) riders could win

I wouldn’t rule out Cadel just yet 😉

keavo
    Free Member

i think evans is in the best position right now. he’s riding very well reminds me of lemond, probably the strongest and not taking any risks tactically with a very good tt card still to play. i still want voeckler to win but think he’ll do well to get on the podium. i expect some tired legs today, would surprised if anyone can pull out a ride like schleks…….except maybe the other schlek.

scaredypants

I reckon evans will have all available hands at the front to stop any friends of schleck getting into a breakaway without them and that’ll mean no madness on the galibier from the leaders. Team’s job will be to deliver evans to the final climb in contact and hopefully sheltered from doing any work beforehand

I think it’ll be a straight race up the final climb – fast from the bottom
    My guess is that andy is **** and evans is more stubborn of the two. For me, whole race depends on frank, err, maybe – will he help andy get up or go for his own gains ?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Jesus, its a 3 week marathon. People come and go with form and feeling of energy. It is possible for people who don’t dope to feel shit one day and have a rest day and recover.

And did he really crack anyway? I don’t recall it all going down the drain for him at the end of the stage.

Klunk
    Free Member

Did you not read the bit about the huge downhill and flat? Descent of the Izoard yesterday 17km, with the next climb starting almost straight after. Descent of the Galibier today 36km, with another 10km before Alpe d’Huez starts.

there was a long 10km 2-4% gradient run in before the climb proper yesterday into a nasty head wind and for a poor descender AS didn’t lose to much time to the pack on the descent. I’m not saying they will attack I’m saying its not, as proven yesterday (even though andy thought they would), certain you can pull them back.

aracer
    Free Member

I reckon evans will have all available hands at the front to stop any friends of schleck getting into a breakaway without them and that’ll mean no madness on the galibier from the leaders. Team’s job will be to deliver evans to the final climb in contact and hopefully sheltered from doing any work beforehand

But does he actually have the team to do that?

scaredypants

But does he actually have the team to do that?

well, no – but “all” they have to do is stop (or join in numbers) a breakaway with leopards in before the galibier (1 and a half-th of only 2 and a half, unlike the 3 yesterday)

After that (galibier) he’s on his own for schuure

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I think the entire outcome will depend on Frank. He’s the freshest of the 4 and has the ability over Cadel or Tommy to put some big attacks in. He’ll either put good time in like Andy did or they’ll chase him down and tire themselves out even more.

If Frank attacks I’d put podium AS, CD, FS.

If he has a mellow day it’ll be CD, AS, FS.

I’d love Tommy to bury himself in the TT though. He deserves to be stood on that podium.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Its all good. Yesterday was a surprise attack. You think that anyone would let a GC contender get to ADH first?

ADH mass TT with both Schlek’s going for it is where my money rests.

Klunk
    Free Member

my feeling is that AS wants the yellow jersey today so that means for him it’s attacking Tommy on Alp-d’euz and then riding the TT of his life tommorrow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Andy
    Frank
    Cadel
    Tommy

In that order.

aracer
    Free Member

“Contandor has to got for it today, try and do what Schleck did yesterday, he has no other option.”

I don’t believe he has either the legs or the team.
    Well I’ll take that back then!

scaredypants

and that’ll mean no madness on the galibier from the leaders

😳
    my money’s still on evans though

racefaceec90

i want cadel to win 🙂 probably one of the shreks will win it though.

soobalias
    Free Member

monsieur voeckler obviously overdid it on the pain o chocolates yesterday morning

im confident that if he rides on just a coissant today he can get himself back in front.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘So, who's gonna win the TDF 2011 then?’ is closed to new replies.