Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • So, who's gonna win the TDF 2011 then?
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

Following todays belter stage…who’s your money on?

djc1245
    Free Member

Heart says Voeckler. But think Evans will win

rainbow
    Free Member

Andy Schleck, a brilliant ride today and hope to see another brilliant ride tomorrow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Evans – can’t see anyone other than frank being fresher than him and can’t see them letting the schlecks get team mates ahead again tomorrow. Frank isn’t up to it, or he’d have gone sooner and faster today. I think Evans is prob the most willing to suffer (TV aside – but I think he’s gone)

psychle
    Free Member

Evans FTW… Schleck has gotta be shattered after today surely?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i think schleck too. doesn’t cadel need to attack tomorrow? he kinda did today… but not to take the lead, merely to limit the damage schleck had done

grahamt1980

Agree with stratobiker.

Would love it to be voeckler, but i think it will be evans.

Who will get green though? Cav needs to make it inside the limit tomorrow

Jerome
    Free Member

Will come down to the timetrial and andy will bottle it.
    Imagining frank will be attacking tomorrow after he said in his interview at the end.

mrmo
    Free Member

i don’t think Evans had an easy day today though, who did the chasing? I do think Evans can do it as he is the better time trialist. I hope that Voeckler gets a podium for his efforts.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’m thinking Evans too.

Would be a shame if it all came down to the TT. It’s been a great tour this year.

SB

StirlingCrispin

Voeckler.

Shleck was empty at the finish and won’t take any more time tomorrow. Evans can’t attack – and is too far back on Voeckler for the win.
    (I have no idea how their time-trialling compares)

Superb tour!

mrmo
    Free Member

Evans did the final time trial in 56:48 when he did it in the Dauphine. (Same course)

looking at the full results. Grenoble-Grenoble

I can see the time trial being close, and i mean the win being seconds either way. It is not a flat course and it is a very short course.

cheers_drive

Order after tomorrow to be Andy, Frank, Tommy. Final result after TT Cadel, Andy, Frank (I said Tommy 3rd in the other thread but my head has taken over from my heart now).
    I don’t have clue really but I do know that it has been a great tour with many heroic performances.

tonyg2003

Sadly Evans. My least favourite rider in the TdF this year.

Tomorrow will be close unless Frank decides to go for it on the Galibier. Otherwise Evans will put time into them at the TT.

Frank. Break away on the hard side of the Galibier (the hardest climb I’ve ever done), solo down the 48km descent with a team mate up front and then ride up the Alp. Simple…..well…sort of…

Could be another great day’s racing

speaker2animals

CE only needs to keep the Schlecks in check really in the “knowledge” that he is better against the clock. My opinion of CE has mellowed over the last 2 years. I thought he honoured the World Champs jersey last year. He doesn’t attack very much though but to be fair that to a large degree is the state of Grand Tour riding for the faves in recent years. AS gave us a glimpse of the pre 90’s today. Head says CE for the final Yellow, heart says AS(60%)/TV(40%).

MrKmkII
    Free Member

frank will break away tomorrow, evans will lazily respond like he always seems to, andy will just keep up but essentially conserve a wee bit of energy while cadel takes the brunt, andy’s fresh for the TT, cadel is wiped out – andy for the win!

scaredypants

My opinion of CE has mellowed over the last 2 years

mine too

He seems to be in a fairly shit team, too. less well supported than the others so does more for himself

Garry_Lager

To close to call without knowing what shape AS will be in – looked like he buried himself today tbh. He’s the people’s champion after that, but Cadel showed brass balls himself.

CE gets stick for wheel-sucking, but I think you just have to acknowledge that he doesn’t have the talent of an AS or AC in the big mountains and give him credit for hanging in there – he’s hard as nails in that respect. He could never do what AS did today, but he’s ridden a hard tour in his own way and I’d like to see him win on Sunday.

yossarian
    Free Member

Tim Henman

aracer
    Free Member

Cadel earnt a lot of respect today (and indeed over the rest of the Tour – breaking away from the Spanish double act on a downhill!) wouldn’t be at all disappointed to see him win, which isn’t something I think I’d have said in previous years.

finmac
    Free Member

As said before, Evans seems to have to work for himself with little or no help from BMC. I kinda like his quirkiness and wouldnt mind him winning. I’d love Voeckler to get it too but dont think he can hold his slipping lead much longer, which is a shame although he could still surprise everyone…….what a ride this year tho. Gone off the Schlecks a little since the silly downhill comments but that ride today from Andy deserved a medal!! “What a great job of work” lol. (this phrase has actually started to bug me) Why he wasnt chased earlier I cant figure out……they obviously thought he’d gone too early and they’d catch him. Not sure if Andy’s TT pace is enough to pull a gap on Evans or even Voeckler………all depends on tomorrows climbs I guess………can Contador pull a miracle from his legs? Is his Tour over? (cue pill popping comments) So, my heart wants Voeckler or Evans but I think Andys gonna bag it somehow!…..Um I kinda went on a bit there………sorry 🙂

Nick

Too close to call, if Frank goes for it tomorrow then that could play into Tommy’s hand as it doesn’t look like Cadel can beat him on the mountains, at least not be enough to take the win, then it comes down to the TT.

Very exciting!

aracer
    Free Member

Frank to go for it tomorrow – if he doesn’t he’s a write off. Gain 30s to 1 minute it’s a 4 way battle in the TT (though advantage Cadel unless the others take any time).

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Tough call now, would love Voeckler but cant quite see it , Andy has gone from hero to zero with me after moaning about downhill finishes, and after struggling on Tuesday and blasting like today i feel his chemist got it right.Great tour so far though long may it continue.why let a guy with that much quality ride away from the peleton? seems as bad a decision as all wiggins team sat by him lying on the ground wondering if he might carry on, surely leave one guy with him if he gets going then the rest slow down?

ac282

I don’t know why, but I’ve always liked Evans since it was him vs Martinez in XC racing.

Unfortunately Andy will win. Evans couldn’t pull it out of the bag in 2008 against Sastre and I doubt he will do it this year.

SST
    Free Member

TV mustget himself on the podium now? Maybe 3rd to Evans and one Schleck or another?

Was sorry to see AC blow like that. Thought he was gonna do better.

Re AS’s attack yesterday – I really hope we’re not reading about blood transfusions etc etc in 3 months time. I’m on the edge of divorcing the tour for its previous dishonesty as it is 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

No dopers this year, one fellow chucked out for taking some laxative or sommat that may mask it, but none confirmed. I reckon it’s pretty clean, hence Bertie struggling! I don’t like him, although his descent with Sanchez was ballsy. The itv commentary missed it, but Sanchez went into one of the switchbacks with at least 6″ clear daylight under his back wheel, fair play that Contador then said they weren’t taking risks, testicles like basketballs!

Evans can’t attack – and is too far back on Voeckler for the win.

15 seconds? Sadly he’ll wipe that out! As he’s ahead of AS all he’s gotta do is sit in.

I suspect a dull stage today with everyone licking their wounds, AC will attack to try and prove something. CE will take it in the TT. Shame I really want to see Voeckler win – he’d better not lose by the 30 seconds he spent in that car park yesterday!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

if there were only two stages left (the TT and Paris) Evans would be a cast iron certainty. He’s easily a couple of minutes better timtrialer than either schleck.

but we got alp d’uez today so its still uncertain imo. if andy can get another minute, over evans, from somewhere then its his.
    Don’t read too much into how knackered Andy looked yesterday, evans was well beat up at the finish, did you see the video of him trying to get his breath back?

Diane
    Free Member

Vockler is done unfortunately. He looked like he was going to throw up for the last 30K yesterday. Superb effort. Today will be very interesting. Close call but perhaps Evans but would quite like Andy to take it.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Evans will be glued to AS today. If the schleks had any idea they would 1-2 Evans today until he cracks. then again their amstel gold showed that they are clueless. AS time trial abilities are crap.Look at his final TT last year. FS is much better (tour de suisse last year). Dont like schleks but that was a ballsy ride yesterday. Evans dragging them all back on his own was also impressive. There will be fireworks today , its just too hard a stage for their not to be.

Come on Evans !! (he was a MTB er after all)

njee20
    Free Member

Oops, I was thinking CE was still ahead of AS, ignore half my post! Still think today will be anticlimatic, lots of sitting and watching, some chancer will win, maybe Vanenert.

anagallis_arvensis

Andy Schleck as long as he continues to channel the spirit of Floyd Landis either that or Cadel.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Much as I admire Andy Schleck’s risk-taking in yesterday’s stage, I feel I have to point out that in the last few years, every time we’ve seen such an exploit, it’s been followed very closely by a drugs scandal. Think Floyd Landis, Lance Armstrong, Pantani, Chiappucci and so on……..

uplink
    Free Member

There’s only really Evans that could feel comfortable with his position today [not that he ever actually looks comfortable at any time 🙂 ]

So he’s just going to try to mark any threat, so no change there then

Anyone else with aspirations of yellow in Paris will feel the need to try something if they can, they can’t just do an Evans and follow all day
    if they’re all running on empty Evans [the miserable ****] will end up winning out

mrmo
    Free Member

Shleck may be a crap timetrialist but this is not a british dual carriage way course. I really don’t think it is as clear cut as some.

allthepies
    Free Member

Podium:-

AS
    CE
    FS

Shame that Voekler will finish 4th and miss out on the podium.

Klunk
    Free Member

Contandor has to got for it today, try and do what Schleck did yesterday, he has no other option. Otherwise it’s a very lame defence of his title and even if he’s cleared of dopping the doubts over his other wins will persist. So it should be quite an interesting day.

aracer
    Free Member

Contandor has to got for it today, try and do what Schleck did yesterday, he has no other option.

I don’t believe he has either the legs or the team.

llama

Here are some clues as to my favourite

Everyone else looked f**ked at the end yesterday

RHSno2
    Free Member

AS and FS will rip it open on Alp d’Huez (along with Contador I think)

The Alp is so much harder and steeper (and shorter) than the other climbs where the natural climbers can pull serious time on the others. Nothing will happen on Galibier from the GC contenders. The huge DH then flat would wipe any gains out.

Its all about ADH today and my money is on the Scleck’s.

Cadel has to win the tour not just be a hard chaser (could have been different if he had a body guard like TV)

Bring it on!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘So, who's gonna win the TDF 2011 then?’ is closed to new replies.