Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So – who's gonna cop for this satellite that's dropped out of orbit?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

What’s that in the sky over there?

I think it will hit Fishguard.

uplink
    Free Member

I think it will hit Fishguard.

If that happens, the damage could run into hundreds

Stoner
    Free Member

NASA said the chance a piece of UARS debris will strike a person is about one in 3,200

those aren not very remote odds. That is if they’ve calculated correctly based on expected path, time, and human massing based on time….

camo16
    Free Member

The debris will mostly likely fall into an ocean or land in an uninhabited region of Earth.

There’s nothing like a bland reassuring statement like this to make me feel at ease.

If I stick to major urban areas there’s absolutely nothing to worry about.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hopefully Cardiff. It’s a shithole anyway.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’d be quite funny if it hit someone’s satellite dish 😆

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cressers. In a moment of galactic irony

emsz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBc46h3e7r8[/video]

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Did Essex CC put a call into NASA – co-ordinates for Dale Farm perchance…. ?

catnash
    Free Member

I thought Fishguard was a deodorant for prostitutes?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

If that falls in my back garden i’ll be annoyed. I’m building a shed tomorrow!

nonk
    Free Member

don’t touch it mind it might be hot.

Cougar

don’t touch it mind it might be hot.

If I had a pound, etc.

billysugger
    Free Member

If it fell on Dale Farm they’d know what it weighed before it had cooled

wwaswas

NASA said the chance a piece of UARS debris will strike a person is about one in 3,200

that’s pretty short odds.

millions of people buy lottery tickets that are running on odds over 4000 times that figure to win. Maybe one of them will get ‘lucky’?

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate who’s rock n roll excesses could easily rival the combined efforts of the stones, grateful dead, black sabbath and happy mondays.. (or whichever hard living rockstars spring to mind when you think of rock n roll excess)

we were discussing the miracle of his longevity at the weekend and decided that he will likely be despatched by a meteor strike.. I’m gonna get down to the local bookies and put a fiver on this being his last week among us..

CountZero

Hopefully it’ll land on Melksham. Instant urban renewal, and a perfect opportunity to make a vast improvement to what left.

transapp
    Free Member

Interesting choice

TheFlyingOx

those aren not very remote odds. That is if they’ve calculated correctly based on expected path, time, and human massing based on time….

millions of people buy lottery tickets that are running on odds over 4000 times that figure to win. Maybe one of them will get ‘lucky’?

Erm…. They’re not the odds we each have of being hit. They’re the odds of a person somewhere in the world being hit.
    The odds you and I have of being hit are roughly (1/3,200)/6,700,000,000 = 1/21,440,000,000,000

GrahamS

The Flying Ox: so you mean it’s not actually going to hit one out of every 3,240 people? Damn.

I suspect it might have been more of a headline if it was going to wipe out 2,149,158 people 😀

woody2000

I reckon it’s heading straight for oldgit….

😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get Dravid to catch it..

Ooop’s

toys19
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Indeed, I say the same thing about death due to air travel which is more likely than winning the lottery. Every time I get on a plane a cold hand points at me from the sky and a booming voice says “It could be you”.

peterwp
    Free Member

So according to risk assessment the satellite has loads of titanium expected to survive re-entry (see http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/585584main_UARS_Status.pdf). If a 60kg lump of titanium landed in my back garden is my property?
    Could I start milling parts without NASA demanding their broken toy back?

toys19
    Free Member

I seem to remember that there is some international salvage law about aircraft that stops you from doing this. Is it in the Warsaw Convention?

RealMan
    Free Member

Well, according to the Finders Keepers Law of 1984, you very well may. I’d be more interested in suing NASA for bombing my property.

toys19
    Free Member

Finders Keepers Law of 1984

Ah yes but in my memory this was written in about 1976, was it revised in 1984? Did they take out the “losers weepers” clause?

RealMan
    Free Member

The Flying Ox: so you mean it’s not actually going to hit one out of every 3,240 people? Damn.

I suspect it might have been more of a headline if it was going to wipe out 2,149,158 people

😆

Cougar

The debris will mostly likely fall into an ocean or land in an uninhabited region of Earth.

If you don’t know where it’s going to land, that’s a pretty safe standard statement.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So – who's gonna cop for this satellite that's dropped out of orbit?’ is closed to new replies.