Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So who’s doing well at the mo?
  • thepurist

After all the gloom and doom of late 2008 and equally dire predictions for 2009, how’s about some good news stories? I’m looking at an emptying order book and a dead stop on new enquiries so it’s not looking that great and I need cheering up – who’s got a booming business or some other reason to be cheerful? Go on, wave ’em!

miketually
    Free Member

I am. Stable job. About to pay off a bank loan in a couple of months, which will be like a 9% pay rise, and will also mean that the (small) mortgage will be our only debt. Paid off my student loans last year, which was also like a pay rise.

Trimix
    Free Member

The good news so far is that the mud has frozen and it looks like you will soon have more time for riding your bike.

thepurist

Aye Trimix – at least my fitness & skillz will benefit as the business goes down the pan! Let’s just hope it’s a decent summer… and spring… in fact a nice February could be good….

druidh
    Free Member

Two more weeks before I’m unemployed.

But one of them is 5 days holidays, and after that, my mortgage is paid off and I’m on a small pension. Looking to get lots of riding in this year.

Smee
    Free Member

Reasons to be cheerful:

I’m a lot younger than Druidh.

sofatester
    Free Member

For the first time in over 2 years i’ve cleared all debt and got out of my overdraft. Harah!

Also i’m starting to get back the fitness levels i had almost a decade ago. Can’t put a price on that.

Roll on 2009!

the-muffin-man

We’ve got a decent order book for January – unfortunately work was so bad in Nov/Dec that our cashflow has gone tits-up and we’ll be struggling to pay suppliers to get the materials to do the work!

Sandwich

Anyone working in bankruptcy and administration/receivership will be looking at a significant upturn in business. Think I might need to retrain, currently riding lots due to a lack of work 🙁

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Happy healthy kids, a very fit wife and a roof over my head.

It could be a lot worse!

chakaping
    Free Member

Doing very well here, I’m pleased to say. Started my own business in April, have doubled my income and have more work than I can handle.

Was working about 70 hours a week, but the business is beginning to stabilise and I’m starting to contract more work out – so I’m even getting out on the bike a bit now.

Still very very busy, but I’m not complaining. Don’t know how long it’s going to last so got to grab as much as possible now.

rogerredhat
    Free Member

Surprisingly, having sailed so close to redundancy in November, I was pretty busy up to christmas, and look to have at least some work to keep me busy until March.

Not doing well, but not doing badly either. At least I have a job, which is more than can be said for increasing numbers of people I know.

Royston
    Free Member

Middle of last year I won an application for shared care from the family court. a decision that I thought was going to be the end of an extremely accrimonious separation and what had been very limited access to my kids. I couldn’t have been more wrong. a succession of extremely serious allegations followed (from the X) for which I was arrested and imprisoned briefly So I now face a new year of defending these charges starting next week back in Family Court and then later in February in Criminal Court. Over two years on now since we separated I’m broke both financially & in spirit. Hell truly has no fury like a womans scorn.

druidh
    Free Member

Smee – Member
    Reasons to be cheerful:

I’m a lot younger than Druidh.

I LOL’d

rogerredhat
    Free Member

Royston. Sounds awful.

(Assuming you haven’t actually done what she claimed you did…), then I wish you the best of luck with it. I know someone who has just been through three years of hell after several (entirely made up) allegations resulted in him spending time on remand, losing his liveihood and all of his money.

sofatester
    Free Member

Royston,Hang in the fella!

I know exactly what your going through 😐

takisawa2

Chin up Royston. Best of luck mate.
    PT

crazy-legs

Well I was made redundant just before Xmas but I’ve kind of got over that now and TBH I’m really not that bothered anymore! I’m desperate to get a job soon cos I’m seriously strapped for cash but on the plus side it’s gorgeous weather, snow on the ground and I can ride my bike – if I was in work now I’d just be looking out the window wanting to ride!
    Just getting into retraining now, got signed onto a couple of courses at the local college and cos I’m now dole scum, it’s costing me (very nearly) sod all 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

after one round of redundancies at our place a few weeks ago things appear to be getting busier – we’re still pretty much hand to mouth but there’s a glimmer of a recovery there.
    I ain’t counting me chickens though.

MrSparkle

No, and don’t be counting mine either…

Bunnyhop

Royston – This really is terrible.
    I hope one day that some fantastic woman comes along and restores your faith.

Until then, keep going.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Royston – thoughts are with you – I have a good mate who’s going through precisely the same thing, feeling much the same as you.

As for me…..mmm
    quit the day job in August to start my own business, in doing so we remortgaged,
    not to 100% of value but, given the drops in value I bet we’re not to far from a negative position …. be interesting to see how things pan out in September when our current mortgage deal comes up for renewal…….
    With regards the business, yep, its quiet, but then I was never under any illusion it was going to be easy…..
    So, the above does weigh on the mind a little but, on the whole, leaving the day job was the best thing I ever did – frame of mind is currently positive!

nickegg
    Free Member

December was pretty terrible for us. I got made redundant which came as a shock and my partner’s grandfather died just before Christmas.

On the plus side, i now have loads of time to cut a new piece of singletrack in my local woods, my partner has bought a Yeti 575 with her inheritance, i’m going to take this opportunity to change careers and most importantly, we’re getting married in May followed by a two week honeymoon in Zermatt.

I hope to look back in few months and be glad i was made redundant.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I have to say I have nothing to grumble about really.

I’d like to have a girlfriend of course, but apart from that people all’s well.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I can’t complain really either.
    Only a bit of hassle related to my cycle training scheme’s insurance to deal with (anybody knows such things?) and a contract to renew (I’m in a strong position) to have peaceful 2-3 years ahead.
    My family is happy (mother-in-law hates me though), my bikes are ok, my motorbike is nearly fixed. And the rent is not too bad either.
    Maybe next year I manage to go skiing again…

chakaping
    Free Member

Nickegg – I’m certainly glad I got made redundant both times that it happened. Forced me out of a bit of a rut.

Good luck with the career change (and wedding).

ton

i am doing ok at the mo
    work is busy, everyone wants sky, freesat, freeview, aerials fitting.
    got some good (now my head as got round it) news from my son, i am gonna be a grandad in the summer.
    i can afford to buy anything i want bike wise, to the point of wastefullness.
    life is good.

Daffy

I’m being screwed with my pants on thanks to the low savings rate.

Getting married in April – my income from savings (only income) has dropped by £350 per month in 6 months

gixer.john
    Free Member

Not too badly off at the moment – work in house building which includes social housing and refurbishment of local authority housing. This is cushioning the blow from open market which is now non existant. problem is all the councils are now fcckked financialy and are cutting back their spending. Don’t know how long all the big house builders can keep going, some of them are truly screwed with massive debts. Just see every month as another morgage payment less!!
    Good to have a loving girlfriend – she is 21, 5’10”, size 10, DD’s : 😀
    I’m 43 5’5″ with a knackered back and neck 😕

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve just had a large glass of wine :>) . . . but I’m back at work tomorrow :<(.

As I think I’ve posted before, maybe in the Happy New Year thread – no aspirations for 2009 . . . things are just fine as they are 😀

gingerflash

Nothing at all to complain about in this house, but it doesn’t seem fair to say much more when so many are struggling in one way or another.

alwyn
    Free Member

I’m going to make £1200 in the next 20 minutes, can’t complain at that.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

things going good here to started my new job today which was good more money more time to ride bike,back on a good keel with the wife so just hope everything carries on through 2009 as is(fingers crossed)

alwyn
    Free Member

But it is from selling my bike 🙁

gingerflash

Alwyn – was going to ask if you were selling the house! 🙂

alwyn
    Free Member

The bike was probably worth more.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll never be made redundant as long as there’s prisoners & my partner has bank shifts coming out of her ears.

TheRealTandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm I cuold be very gloomy. Neither me or my partner has a permanent job – my work has dried up a bit, hers ends in April. about the same time we will get a bill for well over £150 000 for compulsory repairs to our flat which we have no way of paying. Homelessness beckons.

On the other hand we might just take out our big chunk of equity leave the flat – take a years sabbatical then look for somewhere else to live and work.

Who knows how it will pan out but its all very uncertain in outlook for us.

devs
    Free Member

No mortgage, no debt. Ride at least 5 times a week and get at least one night a week out with the lads. Surprisingly busy too, in a 0930 to 1630 kind of way. And there is heaps of snow in the Alps. Good times.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

£150000 for repairs??!!?!?

Does your flat need a new roof, walls, plumbing, electricity, etc?? Christ, that’s a sh1tload of money.

I hope those in a dark place right now, find some light as soon as possible.

Me? I’m skint, but really quite happy, tbh. Which is an improvement on recent years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So who’s doing well at the mo?’ is closed to new replies.