Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • So, who's buying a new snowboard for 2010/11 then?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"What boots/bindings are folk in at the mo?"

Still on Flow – the SPDs of Snowboarding! Can't be bummed with all this ratchety nonsense. To be fair, they work better on piste as they are terrible to get into when they pack up with powder snow.

Good tip about the Yukon stiffness issues tho – ta

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

For those going to Banff, it's well worth taking a day out and getting the bus to Kicking Horse. Incredible stashes of 'champagne powder', at least that's what the marketing types call it.

GrahamS

Still on Flow – the SPDs of Snowboarding! Can't be bummed with all this ratchety nonsense.

Seriously, try K2 Autos (or check out vids on YouTube).

They are like Flows that actually work. 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Not likely to add to the quiver (Burton Supermodel 167, Burton Operator 161, Burton Fish 156 and Never Summer Titan Split 169) for this winter but I'd really, really like to get back on a big, stiff freeride board. I picked up the Supermodel cheap as a stop-gap when I destroyed my last big board and it's not really stiff enough for my liking. Nice surfy feel in good snow though.

I need to find someone with an unused Nitro Shogun 166 from about 2005 vintage still lying around. That was the best board ever. I broke 2. 😥

slimtubing
    Free Member

lol, i haven't stepped onto my Avalanche Industry Standard 156 since 2005! Its sitting in the shed with my ozzie mate's Palmer 160 which i know he hasn't ridden since 2001!

meesterbond

I'll be sticking with the 2 year old Lib TRS this year, provided I get round to repairing the lumps I took out of it through the trees last year in Chamonix!

Only issue I found with servicing the Magnatraction was a tirade of abuse from a French shop telling me how it's building in obsolecence and a pain to edge… he still serviced it and charged me the same though.

Off to Avoriaz to play on the Stash this Jan and then Le Rosiere in March for a more chilled out week… possibly a weekend in Mayrhofen in December too if the snow arrives in time… Cannot wait.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

If you're still on FLOW's then try K2 Auto's. I had FLOW's for 5 years and loved them. But the K2 Autos are much lighter and much, much better. Almost as quick as FLOW's but so much more comfortable and adjustable.

With a little practice you can do up your K2 Auto's easily on the move, say on a drag lift at the snowdome or while you're coasting at the start of a gentle run. Or you can do them up on a chairlift (if you have long arms).

I'd switch from FLOW's to K2 if I were you. You'll never regret it.

plumber
    Free Member

For those thinking of Canada Id rank resorts that I've been too like this

Whitefish – though technically in the US but still a short hop from Fernie
    Fernie
    Revelstoke
    Panarama
    Kicking Horse
    Sunshine

I'd happily not go to Louise again

Plum

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

figured out how to post a pic, so here she is

GrahamS

If anyone is thinking of going to Fernie and prefers a home-style catered chalet to a hotel then I can HIGHLY recommend these guys: http://www.canadianpowdertours.com/

The chalet is awesome and feels like a proper home (happy memories of chilling in front of the roaring fire with a cold G&T before popping outside to sit in the hot tub for a bit). The food is also amazing (e.g. venison, steak, salmon, sushi) and Susan that runs the place is just lovely and will happily ski the arse off anyone that goes out with her. Best chalet we've ever stayed at bar none.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I rented a 163 Ride Yukon earlier this week and rode in Nordkette, above Innsbruck. The tip about stiffness was spot on – it’s hard work at slow speed, exacerbated by the extra width/leverage too. Initially I found it like turning a bus. I got the hang of it, but at the end of the day I felt pretty exhausted. On the plus side it seemed very stable at speed, like you were standing on a reliable solid platform through the turns and with lots of pop through the crossover, often getting air between the turns.

Probably not the snowboard for me though.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So, who's buying a new snowboard for 2010/11 then?’ is closed to new replies.