Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • so who's bought a new 26'er in the last month and proud of it :) ?
  • joeyj
    Free Member

Couple of months old now but bought a Merida 0 Nine Pro 1000D to go alongside the Stumpjumper FSR both with proper sized wheels (26)

duir
    Free Member

Awaiting my Nicolai Helius AC 26″ to arrive. Didn’t entertain any other size of wheel, can’t be arsed with stupid trends or being force fed pointless change (that may or may not catch on) by the industry just to rob me of my hard earned money.

To date I have seen absolutely no evidence whatsoever that everyone is changing wheel size and the only places that seems to believe it are MTB magazines and internet forums. The reality, in the real world is quite different, meanwhile every single rider I know has a 26″ with absolutely no plans to change.

It’s just like anything in the press, we read it so we believe it despite their being not a shred of evidence in the real world.

If they feel they need very slightly different sized wheels to be decent riders then fine, go for it but do leave the 26″ majority in peace.

Northwind

Oh yeah, a little over a month but still building a 224 Evo, hopefully have it finished next week and crashed by the weekend 😉

I took a testride on a Five 29er and every single person who saw it said “Oh, a 29er”- even though glentress’s hire fleet is largely 29ers now they’re still an oddity. I just don’t see many on the trails (and when I do, 9/10 of them are owned by Bigdugsbaws!)

hainman
    Free Member

A nice shiny 26″ Giant Reign 2 as an early 40th pressie to myself….

fathomer

I’m going to be investing in a new bike at some point his year, will almost certainly be a 26″, to sit along side my Soul.

acidchunks

As of last month I am the proud owner of a shiny blue 2013 Heckler.

😀

old_mtber
    Free Member

New Soul built up last year with 9sp!
    New(ish) Five with 10sp triple recently acquired.
    Both 26″ and at 5’8″ with short legs I see no reason to change to 29″.

penguinni

Another Soul here.

Built last week using mostly donor parts from a Heckler.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

New 26 Five’ for me. Tried a few 29ers but they made no sense for my stumpy little legs. Not against 29ers, just not found one that works for me.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Built a new 26 scandal last month :))
    I’m only a short arse and my other bikes are all proper sized wheel bikes so didn’t see the point of going the 29er route ?

lilchris
    Free Member

Just awaiting some Reba’s for my new Kili Flyer Ti build.
    Very excited, although that’s easily done!

richmtb

Just built up a Turner 5 spot.

Didn’t really consider a big wheeled bike

sprocker
    Free Member

Got a Whyte t120 in January had a pedal round on the 29er one they do and did not like the feel of it (trail bike of the year no less !!) The ridicule of my mates would have been to much to bear if I had got one anyway. Just planning a 26 hardtail to go with it.

gordonb
    Free Member

I’m joining, even though it was January, but my 5 frame is lovely, and I still consider it as brand new!

andytherocketeer

I’m converting a road bike to 26 inch, if that counts

650c is the way to go

was going to do an N+1, but my short list is non-convergent at the moment, and all popular and not so popular wheel sizes are on that list.

edward2000
    Free Member

I blame MRB magazine. Its full of blatant propaganda on 29ers, trying to evolve the bike industry thus getting us to spend extra dollar. My lady subscribed me to it for xmas. I dont even use it for toilet paper anymore.

passtherizla
    Free Member

finished my rocket a couple of months ago… can’t see me going to another wheel size unless forced to.

takisawa2

First proper ride on my El-Ciclon last night. Felt very strange. Initially found myself really missing my SIR.9, until it came to going DOWN the hill… 🙂 Heck that was fun.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The reality, in the real world is quite different, meanwhile every single rider I know has a 26″ with absolutely no plans to change.

I must inhabit some strange fantasy world then! Getting defensive about your chosen wheel size is all well and good, but you are deluding yourself if you think that no-one is buying 29ers. You wouldn’t see pretty much every manufacturer jumping on the bandwagon if they weren’t selling.

makkag
    Free Member

My new 5 spot will be complete at the weekend – big burly fecker that goes up as well as down – 29er pah 27.5 pah

iainc

you are deluding yourself if you think that no-one is buying 29ers. You wouldn’t see pretty much every manufacturer jumping on the bandwagon if they weren’t selling.

I do agree that the shops are stuffed full with them, but as someone posted earlier, a lot of first time buyers are the target market and may well not consider wheel sizing when they chose a bike from the selection they see

nixie

New 26″ SS for me. Don’t see the point in 29ers for where I ride and had plenty of 26er bits.

DaRC_L

Slingshot frame building it up at the moment
    – I know I know it’s a niche design but I’ve wanted one since I first saw the design in ’94 and it now folds… my justification is that it will ‘accidentally’ fold itself into the boot of the car for our 2 weeks summer hols in Brittanny

boxfish
    Free Member

Yup…(well a couple of months ago)

stewart4444
    Free Member

specialized stumpjumper comp 2011 bought it a year ago but it has 26 wheels.

My CX bike is my 29er.
    Infact i class 29ers as flat barred CX bikes.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

. Funnily enough; not a single person that I ride with has a mountain bike with wheels larger than 26″

Where do you ride, the 1990’s?

Or alternatively, Swinley – I was there Sunday, and the vast majority of the bikes I saw were 26″ – and there were quite a few high spec new bikes too – not just people on their old bikes, just prior to upgrading to 29″ – just saying….

j3ffo
    Free Member

Had our bikes stolen just over a month ago. So have bought some new ones…

Devinci Dixon for me, Lapierre Zesty for the wife. We have both ridden on 29ers and had the opportunity to change wheel size but in the end both purchased 26 inch

colournoise

The perception thing is interesting.

The group of us who ride locally are 95% 26ers (I can only think of one 29er that I see regularly on group rides).

Was over at Cannock on Saturday with a group of about 15 of us (all on 26ers). In about 5 hours there I think I only saw 2 or 3 29ers and they were all ‘pure’ XC machines being mashed around by skinny lycra-clad guys.

I have no doubt they are out there somewhere, just not really in the places and groups I ride in.

As a shortarse (5’6″) I’ll be more than happy with 26″ wheels while I can still get them as I’m with Jedi on this – when asked on a skills day about whether he would switch to bigger wheels his reply was to the effect of “no, because mountain bikes have 26″ wheels don’t they?”

Sanny
    Free Member

Iain

Just accept that you are a midget! You’ve bought a new bike so it’s time to move on! 😀 I’m curious as to why other peoples bike choices are important to validating your own choice though? Pretty much any bike is a good bike in my book although wagon wheels and fatty 26ers definitely tick my boxes these days. Jings, it’s funny how passionate folk get about wheel size – it REALLY doesn’t matter! As long as you are riding, just keep smiling in the knowledge that your bike is clearly better than anyone elses. Ever! 😉

Sanny

bigad40
    Free Member

Selling my Stanton Slackline… 😥
    Its too small for me.
    Its on ebay if you are interested.
    Not sure if it will be replaced with 26 or 29 yet.
    Check out what Fabien Barel says about 26inch wheels on Dirt magazine web site.

iainc

Iain

Just accept that you are a midget! You’ve bought a new bike so it’s time to move on! I’m curious as to why other peoples bike choices are important to validating your own choice though? Pretty much any bike is a good bike in my book although wagon wheels and fatty 26ers definitely tick my boxes these days. Jings, it’s funny how passionate folk get about wheel size – it REALLY doesn’t matter! As long as you are riding, just keep smiling in the knowledge that your bike is clearly better than anyone elses. Ever!

Sanny

wise words from the man with a 26’er, a 29’er, a fatbike, a Fargo and every other fad going 🙂

…when you getting your recumbent anyway ? 😛

…oh, and are you riding tonight ? Mugdock or Cathkin ?

Sanny
    Free Member

A recumbent is probably a step too far…..but never say never! I’ve no plans for a track bike either. Funnily enough though, all my fad bikes get ridden a lot. This week, the Fargo, the 29er and the Fat Bike have been or will get ridden a fair old whack so it’s all good! 😀

iainc

I reckon you’ll get the track bug soon Sanny 😛

So you getting oot for club ride tonight ? Just me and Chris J so far on the FB page for it

….and which bike ?

prezet
    Free Member

Yep – Transition Covert. I wouldn’t even consider 29er. Far too many downsides to make it even a consideration.

I’ll ride it for a couple of years until 650b takes hold and refines it’s geometry and frame design and then make the switch (or stick to 26″ if 650b doesn’t take hold).

The Covert and Fox 36’s should even take 650b quite comfortably so may may a ‘half way’ switch next year if the urge takes.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got at least 5 26″ inner tubes still in boxes – there’s no way i’m going 29er.

tinman66
    Free Member

Not in the last month but got a Stumpy Evo 26″ just before xmas and absolutely no regrets.

vee1
    Free Member

Another Stumpjumper Evo here, picked up on Sunday, been out twice so far and loving it.

deejayen
    Free Member

I’m just looking at buying my first mountain bike (I’ve already got 3 recumbents – with weird wheels – and 3 fixies) and been into a handful of shops to see what’s what. I get the impression that 26″ wheels are going the way of vinyl and film! The shops seem to stock a few entry level bikes with 26″ wheels, but the majority of bikes on display are 29ers. No-one has told me of any advantages to the 26″ wheel other than they’re better when landing from a great height (I have no intention of taking off in the first place), but I’m being told that 29ers are faster, have more traction, climb better, and roll over absolutely everything. I’m trying to keep an open mind on the matter, but it’s difficult!

iainc

well, 5 of us out on GMBC ride last night, all on 26’ers….altough one of those was Sanny on his fatbike 😆

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve built up 2 26″ bikes in the last week. A fun hardtail- Cotic BFe and an Enduro bike- MDE Carve 6. 26″ won’t die. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘so who's bought a new 26'er in the last month and proud of it :) ?’ is closed to new replies.