Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • So whos been to South Korea?
  • smogmonster

Im heading to Samsung Heavy Industry Shipyard in a few weeks to help get our new drillship into action. Having spent 5 years working in Africa, Korea is, literally, half a world away. So if youve been there, whats it like? And is youve been to Geoje Island, wheres the best places to see? Whats the mtb scene like over there?

BandySteve
    Free Member

I’ve been to that very shipyard. I was there for less than a week though so didn’t see much more than the hotel and the shipyard (it’s astoundingly big and a pretty cool site as all the workers arrive/depart on scooters). I did have to go to Ulsan though and we ended up getting the ferry back from Busan to Geoje. I’d recommend this as there are some spectacular islands etc.

I’m afraid I can’t help on the MTB side – the terrain looks very promising though. People were generally very welcoming so hopefully you find some trails.

kiwigeoff
    Free Member

There is an active MTB scene here in Geoje, both expatriate and locals alike. There are 3 good MTB shops with all the lastest gear and friendly local staff. Prices are dearer than Europe, and clothing sizes / shoes in larger expatriate sizes are more difficult to obtain, so it pays to bring that with you. Its heading into winter now (Nov) so bring warm clothing and good lights if you want to extend your riding time. A bunch of expatriates have recently launched a FB page “Geoje MTB” so have a look at that. Most of the expatriates are relatively new here, so we are still exploring the rides to be found.
    Korean customs are not an issue with bringing your bike in – they seem to be happy that you intend to ride and enjoy this beautiful country.

If you want more information before you arrive, let me know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘So whos been to South Korea?’ is closed to new replies.