Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • so who went to the Marshbrook/Chainreaction marathon yesterday?
  • JimSu
    Free Member

And what did you think about it?

I thought it was one of the best days riding I can remember with 3 great descents. It would have been a bit exciting in those woods if wet though!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

On my way back now, its been the best marathon event we’ve done. The site was lovely, the riding simply brilliant and the steaks in the pub to die for!
    Never ridden the Mynd before and to ride it on such perfect conditions was worth the wait. I’m coming back for sure.

tonto
    Free Member

I agree that the descents were good…. but was a bit dissapointed that the route was about fify percent road and was not even close to 80km as advertised. My endemondo track gives 65.5k 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I heard it was cut short, maybe because of the heat?

_tom_
    Free Member

the route was about fify percent road

0_0 almost glad I couldn’t make it now, that sounds rubbish considering it’s a mountain bike event. Still, Minton Batch is awesome. Speaking of which, how has it held up to all the extra riders this weekend – much damage or was it dry enough not to cause problems with that?

cakefest
    Free Member

I did the 80km option and came out with 44.3 miles/71.3km. Thought it was great too – the best Marathon for a while – some long slog climbs typical of the Long Mynd and these Borders marathon events, but agreed some killer descents especially the one from the Stiperstones down to Snailbeach. Very nice. Eastridge Forest was incredible – superb challenging singletrack. Also the contouring around the northern tip of the Long Mynd with massive views north over Shrewsbury and Ironbridge.

Was stunned at the amount of standing queuing going on in the first 10 miles. At the top of the first fireroad climb stopped to help a Brazilian fella from Wallasey?!?! mend his chain. There was a standing queue so more than happy to help out in the sunshine with a great view. Probably 500 riders went by in the queue in the time it took to mend his chain. Got to ride the bit folks were queuing for, and it was a mostly harmless bit of down then narrow through the trees. And then the queue through the heather on the southern tip of the Mynd before a very short sharp rocky climb about 0.5 miles before the long grassy climb to the top of the Mynd.

Obviously I need to ride a lot harder and faster in the first 10 miles to clear the crowds.

JimSu
    Free Member

distance was short and I got 66k on my GPS but I think that is an under estimate as I dont think it allowed for the climb angle, I think 73-74k actual riding. I did not have a problem with the roads as they were lovely quiet lanes and linked great biking area. I went for it at the start and was not held up on any parts of the course. Not super fast overall though finishing in about 4h40m

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yes did the full marathon. Logged 70K, 2100M of climbing, so it was tough enough in that weather.
    On the plus side, great weather, lovely location good facilities, brilliant descents and singletrack sections. Considering how tricky it must have been designing a course around a smallish mountain range, I can understand the necessity of a bit of road linking. Considering the great descents the full course offered I can’t complain. The tight singletrack through the woods was ace (in the dry) It makes me shudder to think how tricky it’d be in the wet 🙂 And the long descent at the end (advertised as the longest singletrack in shropshire, possibly England) would rival anything I have ridden in my home area of North Wales.
    My only gripe was the sometimes iffy course signing. Unusual for the normally slick organisation of CRC. Me and my mate missed an important right turn at about 55 ish K and had to U-turn and retrace our steps about 2K up a 15% hill !! We thought perhaps it was ourselves being a bit dim and missing an obvious turn marker, only too see another group of riders doing the same thing. (the sign was there but was not very obvious)

cakefest
    Free Member

impressed with your 4.40m for the 75k. we turned in a slow 6.40m. got a clear run at the nicely dry Minton Batch though, which was like being there on any old day.

ononeorange

Excellent. We did the short course but really enjoyed it, especially the technical bits. It also had the advantage of bing really easy to get to, rather than the usual 4+ hours deep into the Welsh hills.

keppoch

Having ridden a lot of the mtb-marathon courses over the last 10 years I think this was one of the top 3 (Selkirk and Builth on dry days being the others). Brilliant course, I’ve already forgotten the road bits. There was a bit of moorland slog but well worth it for the last decent – fantastic.

The woodland singletrack came a just the right point in the ride to not be congested with other riders.

Yes it was a bit short against advertised distance but I didn’t mind, its the furthest I’ve ridden this year and I’d rather ride 67k of good stuff than drag it out to 80 or 100k just for the sake of it.

Great weather and some good riding, hopefully this course will be back next year.

AirconAde
    Free Member

It was indeed a cracking day, I managed to get a good start and missed all the traffic on the first decent, I got a good run up onto the spine of the mynd but boy was it hot! The decent down to the Wentor side was a cracking fast open track. After the first feed station I feel they could have taken us a slightly different route up onto the Stiperstones through the Gatten and the Hollies. The drop down into the Stiperstones Via the Beach was as always a blinder. The single track through Eastridge I think is one of the best going and I’m glad that it was dry because in the wet it’s a lot more interesting!! The Batch survived ok but I think there are better decents around here so ain’t too worried about its over use as I don’t go down it that often.

I had a cracking ride and managed it in 4.47 so was well chuffed as I’ve not done an enduro for years. I clocked it at 60.2k on my memory map 2800.
    My thanks to all the marshall’s and people that helped out, and to Mr Lloyd for setting out yet another cracking ride.
    Ade

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘so who went to the Marshbrook/Chainreaction marathon yesterday?’ is closed to new replies.