Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • So – Who really WAS/IS clean?
  • stevious

Was Robert Millar convicted for doping? Can’t find anything about it on his wikipedia page.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

kcr – Member

Robert Millar? Another convicted doper, so I’m sure he had an accurate view from inside.

WTF are you on about.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I think KCR is what we call in Scotland a numpty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have you mistaken him for David millar? – no relation but current rider and convicted doper.

somafunk

I figure kcr has got Robert Millar and David Millar mixed up.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

All I know is I’m not sending Panorama to find out.

kcr
    Free Member

Positive test, ’92. I clearly remember being very disappointed at the time it was announced, and another of my cycling heroes turned out to be on the juice.
    Guess this numpty is just a wee bit older than you chaps, but I thought you would all be handy with an internet search:

http://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Millar,-R-positive/

Millar tested positive for a high testosterone level following Stage 18 of the 1992 Vuelta. He received a fine, a time penalty in the race and a temporary suspension.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Robert-Millar-Unravelling-Surrounding/dp/000723502X

In Search of Robert Millar will follow the career of this other-worldly character…including the controversy surrounding his positive drugs test

ell_tell
    Free Member

Nicolas Roche? Always struck me as a ‘clean’ rider.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Testosterone wasn’t performance enhancing, he was just struggling with his sexuality at the time. 😳

kcr
    Free Member

There were (unsubstantiated) rumours about Robert Millar’s gender identity issues, but I’ve never heard any suggestion that he “struggled with his sexuality”.
    With the greatest respect, are you possibly confusing Robert Millar with someone else…?

kudos100
    Free Member

Clean? Probably 10% of elite riders.

The vast majority will have taken something. Whether they are taking anything currently is the more pertinent question.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i find it bizarre that we assume now that the likes of wiggins etc are clean TBH

lets face it the only reason lance has been caught out and stripped is due to team mates snitching on him…

he passed numrous amounts of drug tests and thats going back some years, technology etc now days surely the people have even less chance of getting caught?

they could all be doping but until a test is proven how will we know? contador is a prime example, caught cheating test wise and the following year he wins the vuelta?! surely that either suggests hes still doping or that hes that good without doping he didnt need it in the first place?!?!??!?

i think somebody nailed it on the head further up by stating, that its probably that hes got his bag of blood sorted now, so no future test cock ups can show up again!

i genuinely dont agree with cheating, but im still of the idea that pretty much all of the people are capable of doing it, even in small amounts, just to stay within touching distance of each other…

contador is either absolutly amazing, but if so why on earth did he dope in the first place? hes now won the vuelta allegedly clean, and its just fishy all the way!

i honestly wouldnt be at all surprised if wiggo/froome etc were found doping at some point…..problem is if they dont get caught in the testing they can all go around saying they are as clean as they like, wiggo, froome whomever!

then when they all get caught out ala david millar they play the victim card that they were feeling forced into it due to pressure etc….so who knows in 10 years time it may well be that others come forward and snitch on the current crop of top riders about doping

alex222
    Free Member

What if the thing they are taking is not on the banned substance list.

Or they are doing things like using hyperbarric chamber/hypoxic tents to create false/simulated high altitudes?

kcr
    Free Member

Simple. If it is not on the banned list, it’s not cheating.
    The rules of the sport evolve with time, but you compete within whatever the current framework is at the time you are racing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Boardman trained for his mile record using a home-made hyperbarric chamber in his son’s bedroom (converted, the kid didn’t have to sleep at altitude).

ooOOoo
    Free Member

So with so few clean racers, why do people watch this sport?

mogrim

contador is either absolutly amazing, but if so why on earth did he dope in the first place? hes now won the vuelta allegedly clean, and its just fishy all the way!

Don’t think that doping gives you a massive advantage, more of an edge – and given the minimal differences between the top riders it’s easy to see how you would want to do anything you could to get that edge.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well the indication is that the doped up riders on the tour where Lance’s results came out positive was under 9%. Now that might be the big names and their support riders but it leaves a lot of clean riders.

alex222
    Free Member

So with so few clean racers, why do people watch this sport?

Cycling is the only sport with such strict doping controls.

Why do people watch tennis? That’s full of dopers. Why do people watch football? That’s a sport with dopers, money embezzlers, sexists and racists.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    Well the indication is that the doped up riders on the tour where Lance’s results came out positive was under 9%. Now that might be the big names and their support riders but it leaves a lot of clean riders.

yeah exactly if thats the case and they are the big names they make up the 9%, but its kinda irrelevant the other 90% if they realistically stood no chance of winning anyways….90% of the tour now (clean or not) dont stand a chance of winning it do they…that 9% was probably all the leaders to some extent, otherwise if they werent challenging to some extent why would they do the doping?

wrecker
    Free Member

Well the indication is that the doped up riders on the tour where Lance’s results came out positive was under 9%.

What “indication”? Have ALL of the samples been retrospectively tested? Have the teams, friends and support staff of ALL of the riders been interviewed with the threat of perjury if found to be lying?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

He’s referring to Ashenden’s lab’s retest of frozen 1999 samples, to validate the new EPO test that had been developed.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘So – Who really WAS/IS clean?’ is closed to new replies.