• This topic has 107 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • So who here reckons humans don't cause climate change
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure it must be reassuring to have the backing of the US Senate

In 50-49 vote, US Senate says climate change not caused by humans

sharkattack

When have they ever been wrong?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Depends who is paying me off?

Also the planet was hotter according to samples of ice in the South Pole with carbon dioxide levels that were higher without humans.

We may affect the rate on the carbon cycle though.

Earths orbit isn’t circular. Shouldn’t the concentration of the Sun’s radiation vary regardless of axis tilt?

scaredypants

I thought we were clear that lizards were responsible

or a lack of pirates, I forget

alanl
    Free Member

I’m still out on this one.
    Yes, climate seems to be changing, but our memories are short.
    Mini-Ice age in the 16/1700’s.
    Hasnt it got warmer (on average) each century since the last Northern Hemisphere Ice Age?
    Maybe the current, last 30 years, changes are just a small change to the normal pattern?
    The Earth has been here for so long, 100 years is just a small blip.
    Was it 10,000 years ago when most of England was under water?

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s a sad fact that in the us climet change has become a political item of belief or non belief. I listened to an interview with a Republican politician who said there was nothing that could convince her that man made climet change existed. Completely closed to any evidence, for her it was a matter of faith.

LHS
    Free Member

Don’t take this out of context. This was all related to the Keystone XL pipeline which has high political rammifications. They voted that climate change is not a hoax. Good, but voted that the Keystone pipeline would not adversely affect climate changes (i.e. man made). It was highly political aimed at this one contentious subject.

oldnpastit

These people have been taking bets on climate change. Apparently the climate change sceptics are on a bit of a losing streak:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/3/22/1372395/-Climate-skeptic-David-Evans-is-going-to-lose-his-shirt

chewkw
    Free Member

Well I was told my me mate with PhD that we are still coming out from ice age … ya … we are melting … climate change or not it’s changing but we just quicken our own death. Woohooo! 😛

TheBrick
    Free Member

Additional co2 in the atmosphere increasing temperature is tied to some fundamental physics. It can be argued that our effect is small, but it can not be argued that we have not increased co2. The problem is even if our effect is small due to the non linear nature of the system small changes in temp can have large climate effects.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I prefer warm weather so a few degrees up in winter is nice without flooding or drowning in the sea from no polar caps :/

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How insignificant we would feel if it wasn’t our fault.

mattyfez

It’s difficult to qualify, yes humans are having a very notable impact, industry etc. But you could argue it’s natural evolution.. There’s plenty of examples were a species has become so dominant in a micro eco system that they’ve used up all resource such as food and died back or become extinct as a consequence.

It’s just that humans are doing it on a planetary scale.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

To quote Kosh:

The Avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Edukator
    Free Member

PhDs were pretty unanimous that natural cycles were taking us into the next ice age before man made global warming came along Chewkw.

We know the mechanism, we know how many tons of CO2 we are putting up in to the atmosphere, we are observing CO2 rising to levels not seen in millions of years (so our impact is not small)and there are still “sceptics”. I prefer “deniers and liars with vested interests”.

chewkw
    Free Member

As I was told climate change or not … everything is contained within our atmosphere arranged in a different ways. i.e. let’s say the amount of water on planet earth is just that … no increase or decrease unless we are moving closer to the Sun.

Edukator – Troll
    PhDs were pretty unanimous that natural cycles were taking us into the next ice age before man made global warming came along Chewkw.

Arrrghhhh … my head hurts … bloody PhDs … his PhD is engineering but he is now studying something about planets (too much time on his hands) so he would lecture about planet to me … Dammnit! He is old! In his 60s!

Global warming etc … I hope the animals are safe …

Murray

I blame The Wombles

loddrik
    Free Member

The earth is in a warming up phase which would be happening if we were about or not. Although I’m sure we’re not helping.

There is a whole industry now flourishing on the back of scaring humans with regards global warming, lots of people getting very rich as a result.

Millions of shareholders now rely on your wholeheartedly believing in global warming and the catastrophic effects it will have on ‘our children and our children’s children’…

MrOvershoot

Edukator – Troll

We know the mechanism, we know how many tons of CO2 we are putting up in to the atmosphere,we are observing CO2 rising to levels not seen in millions of years (so our impact is not small)and there are still “sceptics”. I prefer “deniers and liars with vested interests”.

That pretty much.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How insignificant we would feel if it wasn’t our fault.

And how significant deniers make themselves feel.

ninfan
    Free Member

There’s a couple of very different possible conclusions there….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Evening DD

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I think it’s being caused by cows, we’re innocent victims of it all.

mattyfez

Hah! Out of interest, why do you think there are so many cows?

On a serous note we are the only species, that we know of, that has the mental capacity to understand, at least to some extent, what our impact is on local and global eco systems. So we are in quite a novel situation.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

worth a look for context and perspective. The size and scale of change is way beyond human cause. One ice sheet was three miles high over London. Change is inevitable and over time will be huge

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/geologyOfBritain/iceAge/home.html?src=topNav

TheBrick
    Free Member

There is a whole industry now flourishing on the back of scaring humans with regards global warming, lots of people getting very rich as a result.

Millions of shareholders now rely on your wholeheartedly believing in global warming and the catastrophic effects it will have on ‘our children and our children’s children’…

If you are going down the vested interests route argument for a reason to think man made climate change is a hoax I think there are many many many more vested interests in denying it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There used to be hippos living in Yorkshire.

Just saying.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The hippos were forced out of Yorkshire by cows ages ago, all part of the plan they have.

pondo

Change is inevitable and over time will be huge

Beyond contestation. Do you think we’re having an effect, though?

ninfan
    Free Member

There used to be hippos living in Yorkshire.

Just saying.

You’ve obviously never been on a night out in Scarborough 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Like it matters. Yellowstone will go bang, or we’ll get hit by a big rock.

anagallis_arvensis

Everything cycles. Just like threads on singletrackworld. See you in 500 pages.

Edukator
    Free Member

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Bit from A. And a bit from B. With added C. Really we add heavily too climate destruction more with some of the nasty chemicals we make and dump.

alpin
    Free Member

On a serous note we are the only species, that we know of, that has the mental capacity to understand, at least to some extent, what our impact is on local and global eco systems. So we are in quite a novel situation.

Would be quite interesting if animals could talk…. Ask an orangutan what they think about the destruction of their home… Or ask the sea birds and turtles what their opinion is on the amount of plastic they inadvertently ingest which lingers in their stomachs reducing the amount of food they can digest and process.
    There was something on R4 a while back where scientists had studied the sea birds in British waters. There wasn’t anywhere where they found zero plastic inside a bird’s stomach.

Humans are Scheiße.

Humanity is great, yet I have very little faith in us as a race.

It is one of the major reasons I choose not to have kids.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You mean Yorkshire Hippos don’t understand they are causing global warming?

mattyfez

It’s an interesting conundrum.. Maybe we should actively be accelerating global warming if there’s an ice age on the way?

molgrips
    Free Member

Climate change is not a problem for the Earth. It is a problem for its modern humans though. That’s the difference.

Hundreds of millions of people are living in places that will be severely affected. This could cause mass starvation and possibly wars and other types of death.

The Earth won’t give a shit, I will though.

MoreCashThanDash

Flame me now – I suspect that we are one of the causes, and we can do something about that bit, but some of it is not of our doing, and outside our control.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Lots of places suddenly becoming more habitable (or attractive to exploitation). There’ll be winners and losers.

I won’t be giving a shit. Unless it doesn’t stop raining.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘So who here reckons humans don't cause climate change’ is closed to new replies.