Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • So who has spent the most for a bike on here?
  • ads-b
    Free Member

The days of me spending lots of money on bikes are well gone, so it’s certainly not me. How much do folk spend on a new one these days? Bikes past and present. Pics please

dirtyrider
    Free Member

solarider

parkesie
    Free Member

As little as possible for as much bike as possible see the trigger thread 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who cares?

As long as it’s fun.

matt_outandabout

I have now had two skip rescue bikes and a donation singlespeed for a couple of beers from fellow forumite.

What do I win?

My recent purchase was a toss up between a £6k Yeti SB6C, or a £3k YT Capra, I went for the Capra as a cash purchase, rather than the Yeti on finance.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What do I win?

a kirk precision

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mmmmmm kirk mag loveliness

bensales
    Free Member

…not so humble brag…

This year’s total spend on push bikes had topped 15k, but in my defence it was a perfect storm of two road bike and a mtb needing replacing. The road bikes were both over ten years old and on their last legs. The mtb was because the new one was shiny.

I’m not expecting to buy another bike for at least ten years.

matt_outandabout

A Kirk? Bonfire night will be a bright event….

orangeboy
    Free Member

Opps showing my age , and who cares about price

scaredypants

Every now & then I blow what I think is a lot of cash on a bike or a frame

Coming up to it again as my current mtb is old and pretty buggered so will cost quite a lot to get it running – (26er) wheel rebuilds, bearing changes, shock & fork service and new damper in fork AGAIN. Sure, I probably could DIY most of it but I really can’t be arsed)

The older I get, the more money I have and the less time/sense I seem to have so I think I might properly overdo it this time round. I’m over 50, not a great rider and I may just buy a “superbike” one day soon (and I would only really justify suspension for 2-3 weeks a year). As the cap’n says, who cares?

ferrals
    Free Member

When I’m day-dreaming about winning the lottery in work, probably me.

jimdubleyou

I had to really persuade myself that 2k on a bike wasn’t absolutely bonkers when the most I had ever spent was £400 on eBay.

njee20
    Free Member

Flange’s Di2 Niner from a couple of years back is probably close for an MTB. Stunning bike!

fifeandy
    Free Member

£2800 on a Scott Addict, £2000 on a BMC Teamelite, several other cheaper buys. One paid cash, one on 0‰ finance. Expect both to be with me around 5yrs before being relegated to winter duties.

In theory i’ve got the disposable income to fund something more exotic as i’ve no kids to spend it for me, but would be excessive with a mortgage still to pay off.

bails

Anyone else wondering what it is that Ben ^ sells?

😆

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

£3,800 a few days ago on a full sus 29er race bike

tonyg2003

Orange 4 on order for me and Camber for MrsG but frankly my roadie mates all spend much more on bikes. I was out with three others on Saturday. 1. Parlee with ENVE fitting kit and Di2. 2. Aero Cervelo of some sort with Di2 and nice carbon wheels. 3. S-works Venge. I’d guess no change from £7k for 2 and 3, then +£10k for the Parlee

MoreCashThanDash

Currently £1500 on my original Soul build.

Popped into the LBS this afternoon to discuss a Frog bike for LittleMissMC and ended up having a fairly serious conversation about a Focus Paralane Ultegra for me on 0? finance. Which is 50? more than the hypothetical budget I was considering for my next road bike.

bensales
    Free Member

bails – Member
    Anyone else wondering what it is that Ben ^ sells?

🙂

Nothing more than my time. IT conslutant.

tazzymtb

If I tallied up all the top end and custom bits on the sheep and the Jones, with a view to having to replace them in one go if they got nicked or similar i’d be murdering folks and selling body parts on the black market for a good few years to afford it.

jimw
    Free Member

Perhaps a better way of asking would be as a rough proportion of anual salary.
    I did not earn much last year, so in those terms my most recent bike was significantly* more “expensive” than the previous one I bought when I was earning substantially more even though in monetary terms it was a fair bit less.

* read “embarrassingly significantly”, so embarrassing I’m not going to say what it was

thecaptain
    Free Member

Upwards of $10k but being a tandem it’s halved per person.

TiRed

No new bike this year, just a fork for the old smashed road bike and a disk wheel for a tt bike.

Race and nice bike are both separately worth more than the car.

Should be a nice bike next year for another significant life milestone (ie a previous year without a new bike). 😉

stewartc
    Free Member

Don’t tend to buy complete bikes but I am partial to the odd frame, shock/fork, wheelset or drivetrain upgrade on occasion and have mentally blocked out my spend over the last few years.
    With top of the range MTB’s now easily getting into the 10k USD price range it is very easy to spend serious money, to me anyway, on a pushbike.

scotroutes

In the past I’ve spent up to £2,500 on a bike build (it’s a long time since I bought a complete bike). With six bikes in the garage that could add up to quite a bit of money if I had to replace them all like-for-like. I’m currently considering a new full-sus to replace a carbon Blur but can’t justify £2k or more so looking at any sale bargains, ex-demos etc. It helps that modern SLX is as good as older XTR as my days of speccing that have gone.

mboy
    Free Member

Fortunately… I work in “the trade”… Which means I buy bikes a bit (not much I can assure you!) cheaper than Joe Bloggs does, and as long as I don’t keep them for too long, I can usually sell them on in good condition after 6 months or so for little or no loss over what I paid for them.

Which is my only saving grace!

Cos my Full sus is worth well over £6k (the one it replaced nearer £8k!), my main road bike is worth closer to £7k than £6k, I’m just building up a Cotic BFe out of “spares” (yeah right!) I had lying about, and have just ordered a Ritchey Logic Road frame to do the same with a load of road bike parts (that I actually do have) that I’ll run as a 2nd road bike/winter bike (SRAM Red on a winter bike anyone?). I have a £2k CX bike that has done less than 150 miles (fun miles I’ll add though) that really I should sell but can’t face parting with, and a 29er HT that I’m in the process of swapping for the new updated 2017 version.

Would still give my right arm for one of Solarider’s road bikes mind!

Anyway… For those thinking “oh my god really?!?!” Remember that it’s a perk of the job. Fortunately I’m as mad keen on cycling now as when I started, if not more so, and that whilst most people are able to go out and get mortgages on nice houses and finance on cars etc. I’m stuck renting basically until my Dad pops his clogs, as I barely “pay” myself more than minimum wage… The perks, as listed above, are quite good mind! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben single handedly drving retail sales upwards, Chapeau 😉

I think my Reign was £3,500 in 2006 plus a few upgrades over the years and then transfered bits onto a Covert frame – still on the original forks. The BFe was £2,300. I am pretty sure I am under £10k for 12 years of mountain biking so not too bad.

Sundayjumper

I’ve not bought a full (new) bike since 1998, I’ve just cobbled stuff together when parts turn up at a good price, stuff has been donated, or I’ve bought retro bikes in the <£150 range.

But I’m part way through a special build right now and I want it to come in under £2k. This will be the most I’ve ever spent on a bike. It’s nearly double what my day-to-day car cost 🙂

matt_outandabout

It helps that modern SLX is as good as older XTR as my days of speccing that have gone.

I would agree with this, plus frame specs, marginal gains on wheels and tyres means that today’s ‘average’ SLX/Air fork/hardtail is easily more functional and only a half kilo or kilo heavier than a few years ago near super bike.

I’m suggesting that the marginal gains for posh bikes is even slimmer than a few years back….

ton

my bike purchases have been often and numerous. never commuted by car, so i reckon i am still quids in.

my current bike was 3.2k

tomhoward

2014 was my ‘spendy’ year. Don’t think I got much change from £26,000.

5010 carbon
    Newmad
    Fatboy pro
    Chameleon
    5k worth of upgrades to make my fast road bike a little bit faster

Last bike (May this year) was £4K, inc 20% off.

ton

tomhoward………good lad. cash is for spending mate…. 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

Most I ever spent in one go on a bike was £1950 for a Turner RFX frame back in 2001. A pretty extortionate amount for a aluminium frame that I’d never ridden. Worth every penny.

MSP

Last year over 6k on a spesh s-works enduro build, plus 1 to 2 k on other bike related stuff, plus a good biking holiday. This year over 6k on guided alpine holidays to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. I would say most years I probably spend 1-2k on bike parts and accessories, clothing ect (excluding holidays).

Currently trying to work out if I can afford to upgrade to the new enduro that spesh has released and get at least 3 alpine weeks again next year.

It looks like a lot of money to most, but it is mainly down to choices, ie I don’t have a car, live in a smaller apartment than I could, go out less etc. I love mountain biking, and it is a priority in my life.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My B-i-L claims his best mate has three 20 grand road bikes. What a stoater he is…

wiggles
    Free Member

Fair play £26k is nearly twice what I earned in that whole year…

But now work “in the industry” so people buying lots of expensive bikes pays my wages 😉

I’ve currently got about £2.5k of MTB and £1.5k of road bike when I earn minimum wage and have 2 kids, like mboy says perks of the job I don’t have enough money for anything else

senorj

In my lbs there’s a customer ,who this year,has spent£20k and not bought a full bike from them!
    I’ve spent £5 k in the same shop ,over ten years!
    Bloody customer software stuff- if the missus finds out ….ha.

cokie

Interesting thread- seems very few buy the blinged out INSERT Carbon bike with Enve wheel upgrade- which is odd, because the STW demographic matches the trail center guys that do ride those bikes.

Personally, I could buy any bike I desired (up to about £12k), but A- I would never forgive myself because I hate spending money, and B- I can’t see it providing anymore joy than the £2.5k budget I set for my new bike. I’ve poured the money into a few startups I’m playing with instead. No doubt they’ll fail, but I find that equally as fun as riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So who has spent the most for a bike on here?’ is closed to new replies.