• This topic has 55 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • So who else will be working Christmas Day?
  • smogmonster

Obviously, seeing as I asked, I will. I’ll be heading in early to Singapore Shipyard, wasting a few hours to ‘justify’ the money theyre paying me, then tossing off early back to the Hotel in time to video Skype the wife and kids back home in North Yorkshire and see them open their pressies. Then its the works Christmas Meal later in the evening.

mattbee

Wife is on nights over Christmas, nurse practitioner in A&E.
    She starts her nurse consultant training in 2015 though, so gets 3 years of ‘self rota’ing, finally able to not work Christmas day, it’s only been 15 years…

notlocal
    Free Member

On duty in Aberdeen. Mrsnotlocal is working boxing day when I finish. Both paramedics.

gordimhor

Social care worker here on sleepover shift Christmas day/ boxing day

mark90
    Free Member

Mrs90 is a nurse and is working christmas eve and christmas day, 12.5 hr shifts. At least working on childerns ward it’s a nice christmasy time with santa visiting etc.

I’m off to my mums, she’ll make sure me and the kids are well fed for a couple of days. Then we’ll have our family christmas day on boxing day.

Houns

Not me thankfully, one reason why I left my old job

milky1980
    Free Member

Might as well be 🙁

Finish xmas eve at 11pm, back in boxing day at 3am. By the time I’ve had a sleep after and before work I’ll have about 10 hours to go round all the family delivering pressies, get to my parent’s house for food and pessies there and get back home. Involves about 6 hours driving over 6 stops so would get about 20 mins to eat xmas lunch if I’m lucky 👿

Need the sleep as I’m working long shifts for 3 days each side of xmas day, seriously tempted to just stay at home and go out on the bike for a few hours. My mum even suggested it!!!

My boss is a **** for doing the rota like that, others have 5 days straight off despite there being a no leave ban.

Bah humbug 😡

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Managed to get the day off this year.
    On the downside though I’m working Christmas Eve until midnight, Boxing day from 6am then a nightshift on New Years Eve 😯

jfb01
    Free Member

I always feel really grateful to all the people who keep every thing going over the Christmas holidays.It must be extremely galling at times for you to feel that every one but you is at the party.I know it does not give you your Christmas back ,but I would like to say a big THANK YOU.
    cheers
    Jeff

nemesis
    Free Member

Nope but for all those who are and who are doing public service job, thanks.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

As a supermarket trucker I get Christmas day off but I won’t be doing much,should finish late Christmas eve then back in boxing day.Got to work New Years Eve & New Years day,done overtime on my last 6 shifts & it’s going to be a long one again today.Worst time of the year,we also have a holiday embargo from early December to second week of January..

piha
    Free Member

Not exactly working as such but I’m lending a hand with ‘Crisis at Christmas’ on the 24/25/26th.

Crisis really do a fantastic job of helping people that exist on the edge of society. They don’t ask questions or judge any of the people they help and they can make a real difference for a few days of the year to people that have nowhere else to go.

If you have any clothes (esp. mens trousers and jackets) you no longer wear then please try to donate them as Crisis would be very grateful indeed.

Drac

Finished this am until Boxing Day night, I should have been off since last Thursday but I did a swap so I could get to the STW party. Got to make the most of being off as it’s great to be off with the family. That said my kids have never been bothered when I’ve worked as they know I can work any day.

Good luck to those who are working.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, I haven’t even worked a weekend this millennium – Mrs. Jay will be home too, another Nurse – she’s still on maternity leave till 1st of Feb. Unless she changes job she’ll be working the next two Xmas days.

RustySpanner

Recently started a new job as a neuro rehab coach – last in, dodgy shifts, so 7pm Christmas Day to 7am Boxing Day.

At the Son In Law’s parents for Christmas Day – they drink A LOT, so it’s the perfect excuse not to have to get plastered.

I still get eat a very, very large Christmas lunch and have a kip in the afternoon, which is nice.
    🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Mrs. Jay will be home too, another Nurse – she’s still on maternity leave till 1st of Feb

Make the most of it. In the 13 christmas I’ve been with Mrs 90 she’s not worked on just two christmas days, both times she was on materinity leave. A bit of a drastic way to get christmas off. Based on that she’ll not be having any more christmas days off 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Housewives and househusbands too – 24/7, 365 job with added efforts on C Day. Often forgotten.

jekkyl

I’ll be working……….. my way through a bottle of Aberlour.

welshfarmer

Aye, bare minimum, but those sheep don’t feed themselves 🙂

tuffty
    Free Member

Afraid so, 140 cows to milk. Used to quite enjoy working Christmas but that was before I had a family. Now I hate working on Christmas day 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Being an office type, I’m not working but we’re entertaining my and Mrs North’s families on the day. TBH it would be less stressful if I was at work.

TBH I’m glad of the holiday – it’ll give me a chance to catch up on all the work I don’t have time to do when actually at work….

tymbian
    Free Member

My wife….dinner’s not going to cook itself.

Drac

Housewives and househusbands too – 24/7, 365 job with added efforts on C Day. Often forgotten.

Ah yes don’t forget the unemployed.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Not working but on call from tomorrow 13:30 until 09:00 Monday 5th Jan, tech job so not really important but will almost certainly have to respond at some point over the next few days.

diz

I’m working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I have done so for the last 25 years as a prison officer. If I do get one of the days off then I offer to work for somebody with children so they can enjoy the festive period. Mrs Diz and I usually have christmas on the 27th December.
    Merry Christmas to all.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I have done so for the last 25 years as a prison officer.

Didn’t realise there was another on here! I’ve been lucky this year, E shift Xmas day, 3 rest days, L shift Monday. E shift NY eve & rest day NY day followed by a late.
    Absolutely desperate to get out of the job though, really had enough.

mountainman

Another social care worker here too,but lucky enough to finish 8am wed then not on til st stephens night again .

Then doing 30 n 31 nights ,then were in the new year .

Sod that, never worked over Christmas when I was employed and I have no intention of doing it while I’m my own boss

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not this year but most likely will next year, we have a shift rota for who gets first choice of days off so con’t complain. Atoms can’t harness themselves…

Obviously, seeing as I asked, I will. I’ll be heading in early to Singapore Shipyard, wasting a few hours to ‘justify’ the money theyre paying me, then tossing off early back to the Hotel in time to video Skype the wife and kids back home in North Yorkshire and see them open their pressies. Then its the works Christmas Meal later in the evening.

The Orchard? Spent some time there and can think of worse places in the world.

Pooley
    Free Member

Keeping your electrickery whizzing into flat out ovens!

chewkw
    Free Member

Not this year but for the past 14 years I was working on Xmas and New Year.

The position has been made redundant this year. 🙁

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Keeping the skies nice and safe

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, working on the railway it’s pretty much a given. Start tomorrow at 22:00 for the first of 5 straight 12hr night shifts, mushn’t grumble at the pay though.

It’ll be my last as mini-me no.1 will be 3 1/2 next year and right into the swing of things

matt_outandabout

Nope but for all those who are and who are doing public service job, thanks.

firestarter
    Free Member

I have my 2nd Christmas off in 24 years iirc. Im due off next year too but im getting moved in sept so ive a 25% chance of keeping that 🙁

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m doing all xmas, it’ll keep me out of the way while she does dinner.

shifter
    Free Member

Good work Pooley – keep it on the bars 😉
    Morning shift for me.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I finish Christmas eve at 11ish until January 5th but will be volunteering with our Community First Responder group over that time doing my little bit.

Merry Christmas everyone

househusband

If I do get one of the days off then I offer to work for somebody with children so they can enjoy the festive period.

That’s really generous – and humbling to those, like myself, who don’t have to worry about working over the festive periods.

smogmonster

I suppose I shouldn’t moan too much, I basically get every other Christmas off with the rota I work. Its certainly better than my old A+E days when I worked 5 of the 6 Christmas Days I was there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘So who else will be working Christmas Day?’ is closed to new replies.