Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So, which do you prefer?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mitt or Rick Santorum?

jam-bo

I’m struggling to care and wondering why it is getting so much coverage by the BBC

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m seriously thinking about ditching my Grauniad subscription for a year. Wall-to-wall coverage of the US elections. Fair enough, it is a superpower but there is far too much coverage on the media about another country’s election. Put it in the international section until the election happens then have a front page about it if you like.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Hopefully Obama will breeze in for another term, but if I had to pick betweent the two, Romney seems to be the marginally less evil.

Jamie
    Free Member

Going to go for Santorum.

He is a complete Christian blow-hard, but at least he is honest on that fact, and you got to respect that. Obviously not like or endorse, but the blunt, albeit misguided, honesty, is a change.

Romney changes his opinion to suit whomever he is courting. He was a moderate conservative, but has gone hardline to appeal to the tea party infested base.

…oh and Romney will win, and the Democrats should be able to then blow a hole through an infighting GOP. Thing is, the Dems have a habit of shooting both their feet off through being ineffectual , so nothing is guaranteed.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My preference is for Santorum, riding in on a wave of religious fanaticism.

He will then lose, probably heavily, to Obama.

Imagine the effect of being rejected by the majority of their own country, on the religious maniacs who back him, and on the Republican Party. They will need to flush out the losing faction (“Tea Party” and their ilk)…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ron Paul.

wwaswas

‘Rick’ on the basis that he seems to be the only politician in the US with a forename that looks like his parents didn’t just open the dictionary at random and stick a pin in it (this may not be strictly true).

Jamie
    Free Member

majority of their own country

56% voter turnout last time around, so it’s never quite the majority.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Point taken. “Voting majority”, then.

willard

Santorum seems like a huge nutcase. No, that’s being unfair. A complete, total and utter nutcase.

Huntsman seemed like a reasonable chap, but I think Romney will probably get the nomination based on funding.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Are any of them, including the incumbent, ‘reasonable’?

Jamie
    Free Member

Huntsman seemed like a reasonable chap

The problem with Huntsman, was the fact he could actually speak Mandarin, due to being the US ambassador to the peoples republic for several years. This essentially made him a foreigner in the eyes of most Rep. voters.

So here was a guy who spoke the language and knew the politics of the emerging superpower, who incidentally owns most of the US debt, being discredited for actually knowing about the stuff he was talking about.

Throw in the fact he worked in Obamas government, and the poor bastard was dead in the water. Despite being one of the best candidates.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So, which do you prefer?’ is closed to new replies.